Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

It appears BBC America is airing a Star Trek marathon until mid-day tomorrow to celebrate the show's 50th anniversary (the show premiered on September 8th, 1966). I just stumbled across it, and I'm currently watching "Mudd's Women". :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Another episode of Trackdown from 1957, with Robert Culp. Familiar character actors Ned Glass and Dabbs Greer show up in a neat story which has Culp's Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman acting as detective to find out who masterminded a bank robbery.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Catching up on Preacher. I started watching its broadcast, but got caught up in other more important things, then our satellite PVR imploded and we lost all our recorded shows (VCRs 1 - PVRs 0). The entire run was then shown in a marathon so I recorded it, curiously though episode six was missing!

A long way of saying I saw episodes three and four last night. Good, weird, wacky stuff, and I had no idea Mayer Lansky from Boardwalk Empire was English...

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Better Things. new show on FX. The networks desperately want a show focused on the 30-45 year old demographic with some element of divorce. FX has to be the most stubborn network. They keep trying similar shows, as if they change the actors or twist the plot a little bit, all of a sudden, people will want to watch it. It's a little Louie and a lot Married. HBO's attempt at it was Togetherness. It was done better in the late 80s with ABC's Thirtysomething. I'm betting there are, and have been, many other shows in the past few years that are very similar to all of these; probably even the same gathering of actors shared amongst them. Hollywood is weird. A stable of hundreds of thousands of actors and tens of thousands of writers, yet we see the same faces and stories.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I DVR'd it and plan to watch over the weekend. Surprised you didn't like it, usually Pamela Adlon and Louis C.K. produce inspired stuff when working together.

Re Togetherness, I watched the first season, but gave up one episode into the second. I love Melanie Lynskey and Amanda Peet, but I couldn't stand the male leads, and I simply didn't believe a lot of the plotting. And worse, I thought the show spoke to a much-too-specific, problems-of-the-west-coast-rich mindset. I wasn't surprised when it was canceled.

And I was a devoted fan of thirtysomething back in its time. Also the other Zwick/Herskovitz shows that followed - My So-Called Life, Relativity, Once and Again. This group of writers had a very sure feel for these kinds of stories... and the proof was that the shows rubbed so many people the wrong way: most viewers want escapism rather than facing too-familiar truths.

And re returning to the same stories... Relationships, jobs, parenthood - these are the universal subjects that we can nearly all relate to, so it's no surprise that there are constant variations in storytelling to try and reveal some truth about them. What else is drama for?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
And re returning to the same stories... Relationships, jobs, parenthood - these are the universal subjects that we can nearly all relate to, so it's no surprise that there are constant variations in storytelling to try and reveal some truth about them. What else is drama for?
It's the style of humor, cadence, sarcasm, editing etc that make the shows feel interchangeable. And you nailed it. None of these shows feel like they're revealing anything, much like FX's Tyrant not revealing anything and not taking a profound perspective of the Middle East. I've heard this same joke, this same sarcasm, seen this same view, felt the same vibes, and watched this same everything in the show you canceled last year. Better Things is also pretty West coasty.

Third episode of "The Night Of," which reminded me that I would last 2, or maybe 3, minutes in prison before I'd be found dead.

I mentioned to my girlfriend that if I am ever arrested, she is to liquidate every thing we have, right down to the clothes she's wearing, to get me out on bail immediately - but if immediately doesn't happen, don't bother trying at all as they'll only hand over a corpse.

Third episode of "The Night Of," which reminded me that I would last 2, or maybe 3, minutes in prison before I'd be found dead.

I mentioned to my girlfriend that if I am ever arrested, she is to liquidate every thing we have, right down to the clothes she's wearing, to get me out on bail immediately - but if immediately doesn't happen, don't bother trying at all as they'll only hand over a corpse.
I would not want to attempt to make it. :D

I would not want to attempt to make it. :D

Really enjoying the show and was so happy to see Chalky White (Michael Kenneth Williams, but he'll always be "Chalky" to me) show up from "Boardwalk Empire." He was a standout on that show as he seems to be so far on this one. The man has a presence - he doesn't have to say anything but you know he's the most interesting guy in the room.

Really enjoying the show and was so happy to see Chalky White (Michael Kenneth Williams, but he'll always be "Chalky" to me) show up from "Boardwalk Empire." He was a standout on that show as he seems to be so far on this one. The man has a presence - he doesn't have to say anything but you know he's the most interesting guy in the room.
Paul Sparks (Mickey Doyle) is also in there. Boardwalk Empire is as Deadwood is for us in that we are always happy to see the actors who brought us so much entertainment in other roles.
:D

Paul Sparks (Mickey Doyle) is also in there. Boardwalk Empire is as Deadwood is for us in that we are always happy to see the actors who brought us so much entertainment in other roles.
:D
We noticed him, too, but he took a few minutes to track back in our minds to "BE" as he looks so different in "The Night Of."

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Last night, two more episodes of The Low Winter Sun, with Mark Strong and Lennie James. Getting really good, and Windsor, Ontario is in the spotlight, but not in the greatest of ways...

Having now watched episode 4 of "The Night Of," I must revise my personal survival time estimate for prison down from 2-3 minutes to 30-60 seconds.

Separately, hopefully, there is a special place in hell for the fancy woman attorney from the big name law firm who dropped Naz as a client.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot