Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This was the show's strongest season, much less uneven than the earlier ones. But temper your excitement for next season: a move to Friday night and reduced budget are part of the renewal. The new series The Inhumans will run in the timeslot first, with AoS returning in November. Oddly, there seems to be no plan to connect the two shows, even though Inhumans have been a major plot aspect of AoS for years now. (One wonders how the classic Inhuman royal family - Black Bolt, Medusa, etc. - featured on the new show relates to the Inhuman stuff we've seen so far.)
Here's another Jug Band number they covered. Ashley Thompson on vocals, and the incredible Noah Lewis on harmonica!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Started watching Iron Fist, the first three episodes. I'm not seeing the negativity of the reviews, so far it seems of a piece with the other Netflix Marvel series. Sure, this story has an awful lot in common with the Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen, and Stephen Strange (via Chandu the Magician, The Shadow, Tarzan, Lost Horizon, etc.) stories, not to mention the recent Legion. That doesn't bother me, Iron Fist is clearly a seventies-Marvel-boom character that was never all that original.

My complaints so far are the same as with the earlier Netflix Marvel shows: There's just not enough story for 13 episodes, it could be tightened to 10 and be stronger. And the main cast is too small, it's too focused on just a few characters (so far). I know these "street-level heroes" stories are meant to be on a smaller scale than the MCU films (or Agents of SHIELD)... but there's such a thing as too small and contained... there's kind of a claustrophobic feel to these shows.

Started watching Iron Fist, the first three episodes. I'm not seeing the negativity of the reviews, so far it seems of a piece with the other Netflix Marvel series. Sure, this story has an awful lot in common with the Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen, and Stephen Strange (via Chandu the Magician, The Shadow, Tarzan, Lost Horizon, etc.) stories, not to mention the recent Legion. That doesn't bother me, Iron Fist is clearly a seventies-Marvel-boom character that was never all that original.

My complaints so far are the same as with the earlier Netflix Marvel shows: There's just not enough story for 13 episodes, it could be tightened to 10 and be stronger. And the main cast is too small, it's too focused on just a few characters (so far). I know these "street-level heroes" stories are meant to be on a smaller scale than the MCU films (or Agents of SHIELD)... but there's such a thing as too small and contained... there's kind of a claustrophobic feel to these shows.

I agree on tightening up the plots. I think 8-10 episodes would have been fine. We paced through it when it first came out and I agree - much better than the reviews. One small "spolier." Danny Rand is not the most interesting character in the series.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Last night's season finale of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. They finished things out on a high note, bringing the elements of the Ghost Rider, Agents of HYDRA, and the last few episodes together into a very satisfying and exciting conclusion. I'm so happy they have gotten picked up for a fifth season, and look forward to next season...in space!

Me too! Knowing that they're not totally averse to killing off folks, I was glad to see the lovebirds make it out of Hydraia... The scene on the beach with Radcliff was a nice touch as well.

Worf

This show has spoiled me because now I expect so much more to happen when I watch anything else. I'm bored easily. Plots don't drag on forever. Couples become couples. Characters die. Things are actually interesting. Twists & turns that the audience doesn't expect. I will most definitely miss this show when it does end.

The bookends with Ghost Rider seemed silly, but had to happen, I suppose due to the way the season started. Was thinking the space thing was just a nod to Guardians Vol.2 since this season didn't have time to mention the movie. Guess I'm wrong, as usual. *shrug*

Radcliffe was a great character and Ada/Ophelia was one of the scariest female villains I've ever seen. Do hope they begin to wrap things up next season since it seems ABC doesn't want to give their Marvel series (or it's fans) a lot of hope. o_O (RIP Agent Carter)

Finished watching "Bordertown", a Finnish series on Netflix. Not a bad series. Interesting characters but the plot in the last two episodes strayed beyond the pale. My bitch about many detective/crime shows is the need to construct such complex, convoluted plot lines that require the viewer to suspend their disbelief and shelf much of their critical thinking capabilities. It is the psycopathic revenge plot that involves multiple murders, and almost divine intervention to bring all the converging plot dynamics together. Damn it, keep it simple and let the characters drive the action.

Sam Elliott is rock solid as usual, but I really wonder what attracted Debra Winger to this project--she's good, but the role could have been performed just as easily by any number of actresses. Their characters' relationship is problematic, but so far the writers have managed to avoid the cliché minefield by blending just enough drama with the humor to keep the storylines at a more realistic level.
@Fading Fast - I may have spoken too soon. My wife and I finished watching season 2 of The Ranch last night, and the last episode of the season contains a rather clichéd cliffhanger. I can't say it's an unrealistic cliché because I've known people in real life who found themselves in the same circumstances (I don't want to spoil it just in case you choose to continue watching), but for a moment it diminishes the show to "soap opera" standards. :rolleyes:

@Fading Fast - I may have spoken too soon. My wife and I finished watching season 2 of The Ranch last night, and the last episode of the season contains a rather clichéd cliffhanger. I can't say it's an unrealistic cliché because I've known people in real life who found themselves in the same circumstances (I don't want to spoil it just in case you choose to continue watching), but for a moment it diminishes the show to "soap opera" standards. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the continuing update. We're two episodes in to the first season and only staying with it on your recommendation. How crazy is life: I said to my girlfriend that Zombie from FL said it was worth staying with it and she knew the references to you and and The Lounge and agreed.

Thank you for the continuing update. We're two episodes in to the first season and only staying with it on your recommendation. How crazy is life: I said to my girlfriend that Zombie from FL said it was worth staying with it and she knew the references to you and and The Lounge and agreed.
Oh dear; now I'm both honored and mystified. ;) Fair warning: My tastes often run contrary to general opinion, so continue watching it only as long as it holds your interest; I would hate for you and Girlfriend Fast to waste your time based solely on a few words from me.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Dark Angel on Masterpiece PBS. I couldn't tell whether that was poorly written or if they lacked the information to write a more solid story. I get the impression that a lot of the details aren't known. It could have been an interesting character, but they didn't do much with her. Obviously a sociopath serial killer, so where was the psychology? Kind of a Lifetime quality story. Unfortunate.

Into the Badlands. season finale. Lots of gore in this one. I don't know why or how, but this show doesn't seem like it goes anywhere. It has. It did. But we're always right back to where we were.

**********SPOILERS**********
So glad Quinn's dead. Veil's death was cheesy, like something out of a 12th sequel of a horror movie series. Quinn as Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees. He's only dead if you decapitate him. I hope the actress wanted off the show. I can accept that kind of reasoning.

Last Man Standing. Between the recent publicity about the show's cancellation and the fans' reaction to that, and a recommendation from my wife's sister, my wife and I decided to watch a few episodes just to see what all the fuss was about. We ended up binge watching the first 12 episodes on Netflix last night, and...well, we just don't get it. It isn't horrible, but it's nothing to write home about either. Tim Allen and Nancy Travis have good chemistry and are believable as a married couple, and Hector Elizondo as the owner of the "Bass Pro Shops knock-off" where Allen's character works is as good as always. But otherwise we agreed it's not much more than a reconfigured and watered-down version of Allen's previous sitcom Home Improvement, right down to the "show within a show" bits in which Allen's character makes videos to post on the fictional company's website. We'll probably watch more when there's nothing better on TV, but I won't be disappointed if we don't.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone seen the first few episodes of Fargo season 3 yet? After the finale of season 2 which left me staring at the screen with a big "WHY", I was a bit hesitant to watch season 3 but just watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Regarding Netflix's Marvel, I liked Daredevil season 1, the Punisher half of season 2 and found Jessica Jones very intriguing too. Didn't like Luke Cage and Iron Fist at all. Too generic, too little plot.

I rushed through four seasons of Orphan Black within a few weeks very recently. Haven't been as addicted as that since Breaking Bad. The actress is outstandingly talented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner