Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've only seen one episode so far, but as with all these type of shows ("The Manor House," "1940s House"), the "narrative" of the people is so constructed and distorted, that I all but ignore it and just try to enjoy the physical recreation of history - the houses, tools, machines, architecture, structures, etc.
I hear ya. Unfortunately, they didn't give a lot of effort to recreate the physical world of the period. I assume that was to curb production costs...on top of it being a difficult task, which is why I think these shows often concentrate on the hard labor and small, significant, daily practices of the day (like when they used smoke to keep bugs at bay while expanding through the prairies). VSH spent a lot of the time talking to the participants about their opinions, or at least it seemed like they did to me. But now that I'm thinking about it again, I suppose if nobody could find work, then they couldn't really show these people working all the time. And because they were destitute and in an urban environment, resources were few. You end up eating bread & butter and sitting around a lot. Not a whole lot there for an audience to watch. Bottom line is that I enjoyed it well enough, but I would put it at the bottom of a list of this type of projects.

A memorable 1977 M*A*S*H written by Alan Alda, in which Radar discovers that his idol Hawkeye is more human than he thought, and Hawkeye finds that his little buddy the company clerk is more of a man than he thought. The show was always well done, but seeing many of the episodes now, 40 (!!) years later, I realize it got terrifically better after the departure of the Frank Burns character and the arrival of Charles Emerson Winchester.
I'd take it back a step further and say the show improved greatly when B.J. Hunnicutt (Mike Farrell) replaced Trapper John McIntyre (Wayne Rogers) and Col. Potter (Harry Morgan) replaced Lt. Col. Blake (McLean Stevenson); Major Charles Emerson Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) was the icing on that cake.

I watched the show in it's initial run and thought they should have ended it around the time Gary Burghoff left, but re-watching it now I've gained a greater appreciation for Jamie Farr and William Christopher, both of whom became more prominent in the wake of Burghoff's departure.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
American Epic: Blood And Soil. Featured Charlie Patton, the father of modern blues. He taught Robert Johnson and Howling Wolf. Long before Elvis, he was shaking his pelvis, they say you new he was performing because of the dust cloud from all his moving and grooving! Before Jimi Hendrix, Charlie was playing the guitar with his teeth, behind his back and moving all over the ground on his back.

A memorable 1977 M*A*S*H written by Alan Alda, in which Radar discovers that his idol Hawkeye is more human than he thought, and Hawkeye finds that his little buddy the company clerk is more of a man than he thought. The show was always well done, but seeing many of the episodes now, 40 (!!) years later, I realize it got terrifically better after the departure of the Frank Burns character and the arrival of Charles Emerson Winchester.

I'd take it back a step further and say the show improved greatly when B.J. Hunnicutt (Mike Farrell) replaced Trapper John McIntyre (Wayne Rogers) and Col. Potter (Harry Morgan) replaced Lt. Col. Blake (McLean Stevenson); Major Charles Emerson Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) was the icing on that cake.

I watched the show in it's initial run and thought they should have ended it around the time Gary Burghoff left, but re-watching it now I've gained a greater appreciation for Jamie Farr and William Christopher, both of whom became more prominent in the wake of Burghoff's departure.

I'm sort of the opposite. I think I liked it better when it was an unabashed comedy. That ended after Trapper left and, though it was still a well-written and enjoyable show with great characters, it lost the zaniness of the earlier episodes. There are excellent and funny episodes right until the end, but the self-importance and preachiness of the show wore thin on me after a while.

Oh, and I forgot why I came in here today in the first place!

Started on House of Cards last night (S.5). Two episodes in so far, and I'll probably eye guzzle it with my wife over the next week and finish it off.

Then back to Mad Men, which we finally started a couple of weeks ago. We're just into season 2 right now.

I'm sort of the opposite. I think I liked it better when it was an unabashed comedy. That ended after Trapper left and, though it was still a well-written and enjoyable show with great characters, it lost the zaniness of the earlier episodes. There are excellent and funny episodes right until the end, but the self-importance and preachiness of the show wore thin on me after a while.
This is how I felt when the show was in the second half of it's 11-year run--too preachy at times, it often became "The Alan Alda Show", and it wasn't as funny/entertaining as it had been before McLean Stevenson, Wayne Rogers, and Larry Linville left. Except for the occasional episode here and there, I hadn't watched it since the final episode aired. I know my tastes have changed over the last 30+ years, and that probably has a lot to do with how I perceive the show now, but my wife and I are really enjoying it now that we've "re-discovered" it and I think it has held up well over the years.

Five or so episodes into season one of "The Ranch" based on a caveated recommendation from Zombie 61.

Here's the thing - this is not a good show, but you still kinda want to watch it.

The bad
  • The sets are so cheesy, so clearly sets and not part of a ranch that it feels like intentional parody
  • Several story lines are recycled sitcom story lines that have been done for decades
  • The characters don't have consistent personalities yet, so you're struggling to relate as they change based on the need to deliver a cheap laugh
The Good
  • There's talent in the cast that's trying to break above the, so far, mediocre material. Sam Eliot, Danny Masterson and Debra Winger are keeping the ship afloat as most of the other actors are just reading dialogue and Ashton Kutcher is playing the same character he always plays
  • For the last two episodes the writing has improved, the story lines are starting to get interesting and the characters are developing a bit more consistent personalities so that you are starting to care a bit
  • Surprisingly, Kutcher's out-of-the-cliche-pile cute young blonde girlfriend is showing more range and the writers are making her more interesting
The acting talent is here, the story lines and writing overall are improving and the cheesy sets almost feel warm in a stupid way. This one could go either way, but I'll end where I started: It's not a good show, but there's just enough here that I want to keep watching for awhile longer.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Genius. I feel more and more sorry for Mileva. You have to wonder what great achievements she may have accomplishments if she had not had the breakdown and a husband that was completely out of touch with human emotions.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Finally watched the last episode of Victorian Slum House. I cut them a little more slack then most here. Lets face it, you can not really show the true face of the slums with out a lot of deaths, especially the children! Yes, they did pack to many decades into to little time, but I'm not sure how many would sit through say 25 episodes of the slums, especially most of my fellow Americans. So, not the greatest, but not to bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner