Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Last night's was the 3rd episode? I thought it was the 5th?

Miss Linda asked me what it was about. I said, "Period family drama, 1943 Ireland. Drama, not a melodrama or soap opera." My view of those two genres, drama vs. melodrama/soap opera, is that in the former, the characters are doing the best that they can to achieve their goals. They are not setting out to be or to do evil (though it might end up that way). In drama, you don't have a standard femme fatale or manipulator character, as you see in melodramas and soap operas.

Which is what we see in My Mother and Other Strangers: Rose and Michael, the lead couple, are drifting apart, though it horrifies Rose that she's attracted to another man; Rose's sister is a horrible flirt and verging on becoming a drunk, but she doesn't want to be either one; etc.

You are correct - last night's broadcast was the fifth and season finale. We, however, are only up to episode three. I want to think more about it as your definition of melodrama versus drama is interesting.

As to Rose's marriage, the catalyst of the drift is the war in two ways. One, no war, no black market which is driving a wedge between them (her husband probably would just have continued being an honest businessman - the assumption is that he was before the war) and, two, no war, no intriguing American officer to interest Rose.

The thing that (through three episodes anyway) isn't clear to me is how dire are the family's finances (they seem to be doing okay, but maybe that's because of his black market activity - which, however, appears modest and passive)? I'm not saying that, if things get tough, you're allowed to cheat, but Rose and her husband never sit down and fully flush through the issues: five mouths to feed / people are paying him in this stuff what does he do? / are they willing to not have money to take their daughter with scarlet fever to the hospital?/ etc. Rose's values are all good and well and she can look down on her husband, but unless we know all the rubber-hits-the-road details, I'm not ready to pass judgement.

They played that a lot in the wardroom on my last ship, and I just could not get into it. Not sure why, it just did not speak to me, but glad you are enjoying it!
Thank you. I could not get into it the first time or two I watched it, but that all changed when I stumbled on to the 3rd season when it was being offered for free. I decided to give it another go after I had ran through Game of Thrones and in a few episodes I was hooked. There are so many shows (GoT, Boardwalk Empire, and Peaky Blinders are a few right off the top of my head) wherein it takes me giving a second or third chance and then I am all in.
:D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Game of Thrones. Doing my best to avoid all social media (was even hesitant to come here) to avoid any and all spoilers. Sort of make an event of it, so I won't get a chance to watch it for a bit. Seems like a Lagavulin moment if you ask me. I noticed a new cask bottle at the store the other day, and it was surprisingly lower priced than the more commonly seen 16yr. If you have a review of that cask, hit me with it, please.

The Strain. Weirdly, I'm glad it is back. I couldn't remember a couple of the characters, so I need to watch the last episode from last season. Good stuff. Things have changed. Not so sure they adequately earned where we are now, but I'm guessing FX pushed the story so they could get it finished this season. Could be wrong. Still enjoyed it.

Watching American Ripper with The Prince. :p

TGyDrL4.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Game of Thrones. Doing my best to avoid all social media (was even hesitant to come here) to avoid any and all spoilers. Sort of make an event of it, so I won't get a chance to watch it for a bit. Seems like a Lagavulin moment if you ask me. I noticed a new cask bottle at the store the other day, and it was surprisingly lower priced than the more commonly seen 16yr. If you have a review of that cask, hit me with it, please.

The Strain. Weirdly, I'm glad it is back. I couldn't remember a couple of the characters, so I need to watch the last episode from last season. Good stuff. Things have changed. Not so sure they adequately earned where we are now, but I'm guessing FX pushed the story so they could get it finished this season. Could be wrong. Still enjoyed it.

Laid up... since Sunday morning. Went to the gym, dropped a 35 pound plate weight on my left foot. Shook it off, finished my set and hobbled home. Took off my sneaker to find... well blood. Quick trip to the emergency room. Shattered bones in both my big and next door toe. 7 to 9 weeks minimum for recovery... Oh joy. Watched the same too shows myself. Felt pretty "meh" about both episodes, mebbe it's the Oxy. I too didn't quite understand the "jump" in continuity with the Strain... weird.

Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Laid up... since Sunday morning. Went to the gym, dropped a 35 pound plate weight on my left foot. Shook it off, finished my set and hobbled home. Took off my sneaker to find... well blood. Quick trip to the emergency room. Shattered bones in both my big and next door toe. 7 to 9 weeks minimum for recovery... Oh joy. Watched the same too shows myself. Felt pretty "meh" about both episodes, mebbe it's the Oxy. I too didn't quite understand the "jump" in continuity with the Strain... weird.

Worf
Work,

I went through something similar last September (2016) -- an ankle gave under me as I began my morning workout. Found on X-ray that I'd cracked a foot bone. Had to wear an orthopedic "boot" a good part of the day, at work and some at home, for quite a while. It's healed well, so that I'm trotting on the roads again, slowly, and only on smooth surfaces. You'll be back at the gym soon.

Worf

Ugh, impressive that you manned-up and finished your workout. My girlfriend broke two toes last year - not fun, but with rest and time, she got through it. The best for speedy recovery my friend.

Worf
Well, at least they didn't have to amputate. Remember to relax and be patient. I broke a pinky toe a few months back and it is still bugging me. Shattered bones have got to be much more painful. Take care Worf.
:D

We missed most of last season of The Strain, but we too are looking forward to it. First, we need to catch up, but only if we do not have to pay extra for those episodes. I really want to like the show, but have been having a hard time doing so. Maybe, having read the books a few years back has made it just okay, but I have hope. :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Reruns of Big Bang Theory in the shacks. Advising on a Canadian Army staff college exercise, reserve version. Three US Army reservists and one Marine on course, so lots of US brass up for grad parade today, including a two star...

Episode 4 "My Mother and Other Strangers"
  • This show continues to improve as this episode clarified some of the hints and incomplete storylines opened in the first three episodes
  • The mother continues to be the central character as her "trade-off" in marriage (a real life event where marriage is a grey area, not the wonderfully happy or horribly broken story that TV usually sells us about marriage) drives everything in a subtly powerful way
  • The '40s period detail is outstanding - surprised more FL members aren't watching

Final episode Season 3 of "The Ranch"
  • I don't really know what to say about this sitcom which is at its best when it's being a drama (the pain and pathos of the charaters' lives feel real and passionate) and at its worst when it's being a sitcom (the jokes are telegraphed and canned)
  • Even the actors only shine when they're in "drama" mode / when delivering the "jokes," they feel forced
  • There's enough here to keep me watching (even with the forced multiple cliff hangers), in part, because of the solid acting of Masterson, Elliot and Winger

Episode 4 season 4 "Younger"
  • For all its flaws, it does a good job seeing the Millennials as real people - not just a generation's stereotypes - and highlighting the generational pulls and challenges at work without simply dismissing the older generation
  • And it's a sitcom with people that you basically like - TV doesn't have enough of these shows that are worth watching / angst is everywhere on TV now - light humor that isn't stupid is harder to find

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Secret Agent. I thought they did a lousy job of maintaining it a period piece. It felt like something brand new with people walking around in out of place sets and wardrobe, and while that might sound like the point or no big deal, it just made the whole thing strange and poorly done in my opinion. While the bones of a spy thriller are likely the same no matter what period, the reason I wanted to watch this particular spy thriller was the period. No period. No go.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Game of Thrones. I hope Lyanna Mormont (Bella Ramsey) gets used for more than jokes and giggles at head gatherings. It would be a shame if she ended up another character like Tormund Giantsbane (Kristofer Hivju). I wish they'd go more for wit than goof. Humor isn't unwelcome, but they could practically throw in a laugh track with some of these lines. It ain't cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy