Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
"The Good Place." Nice to see Ted Danson back on the tube.
Also, "The Sinner," "Insecure," "American Horror Story: Cult," "Master Chef" and others.
Picking up Season 2 of "The Exorcist" this evening.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Episode 4 of "5," the opening story of 77 Sunset Strip's final season, 1963-64. The script is really getting out of hand, with flashbacks to Italy in 1944 and Nazi-stolen art treasures. What was fun were the appearances by the TV names, greater and lesser, like Telly Savalas, Walter Slezak, Lloyd Nolan, and Cesar Romero -- and Al Lettieri, who in 1972 portrayed Sollozzo, the gangster that Al Pacino kills when he comes out of the bathroom in the Italian restaurant.

Though IMDb doesn't list them, I'm positive the episode had Francis Lederer (who played Dracula more than once), and a 1-line speaking role for Hans Gudegast as a German soldier. Gudegast was the antagonist in Rat Patrol, if you recall, and later (sagely) changed his name to Eric Braeden and landed on the soap The Young and the Restless. He seemed almost designed by Hollywood to play German soldiers and Nazi bigwigs.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Braeden could be sympathetic too: he was the titular scientist in the WAY-ahead-of-its-time, computers-take-over film Colossus: The Forbin Project in 1970. In time, you will come to love me...

Catching up...

Still watching The Orville. Still a terrible disappointment. Still watching The Vietnam War. Still excellent. And returning series Broad City and Better Things. Both great, especially Better Things.

Re Sense and Sensibility, I liked the 2008 BBC version, but much prefer the 1995 Ang Lee film with Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, Tom Wilkinson, Harriet Walter, etc. (And it's worth remembering that Thompson won a best adapted screenplay Oscar for writing it!) Nothing against Andrew Davies, who's written/directed many fine literary adaptations that I've enjoyed over the years... but I am sense-lessly besotted with the 1995 film.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Better Things. Great season. Remove the cussing, and I can't help but think this is what NBC was doing with Parenthood. Meaning, it is wholesome. I'm amazed with how little happens, yet I'm thoroughly entertained and engaged. I almost feel stupid or that I'm missing everything at times. Very smooth.

Vietnam War Burns' doc. Continues to impress. I feel bad for saying this, but I'll be sorry when it is over.

Edward

Bartender
And to think, it had been cancelled after, I think, the second season! Fan outrage brought it back to life - we can be thankful for that!

I've always been suspicious of that story. The Beeb put it out there that they didn't have the budget to do it, then Amazon ride in and save the day with the deal? Always semed to me more like a clever pr stunt thead off accusations of selling out and a new line of the sort of attacks on the licence fee that are popular in some corners of the press (specifically those owned by personswho also have financial interests in rival broadcasters to the BBC).

Last week's Fear the Walking Dead, followed by two episodes of season three, Peaky Blinders.

Total awesomeness!

Not far off the New PB series being launched in the UK (I think it's coming first quarter 2018). I reade recently that the writierswant the eventual end point to be when the first air-raid siren goes off in Brum, during WW2.... I like that idea. All along I've said it would be fantastic for the end point to be Tommy Shelby's son being coswcripted into WW2, thus beginning the cycle of broken men all over again. It seems fitting.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Guardian would not lie, would it?

I've always been suspicious of that story. The Beeb put it out there that they didn't have the budget to do it, then Amazon ride in and save the day with the deal? Always semed to me more like a clever pr stunt thead off accusations of selling out and a new line of the sort of attacks on the licence fee that are popular in some corners of the press (specifically those owned by personswho also have financial interests in rival broadcasters to the BBC).

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The second episode broadcast of The Fugitive, fall, 1963. Richard Kimble, working as a handyman in Missouri, is accused by a little girl -- who is acting out fantasies of being a witch -- of "chasing" her (such was the euphemism in those days, I guess?) through the woods. Not something anybody would want to be accused of, but especially not if you're on the run from the death house. This one features Patricia Crowley, later to appear in U.N.C.L.E.'s pilot; Ray Teal of Bonanza fame; and a grand performance by David Janssen as a frightened Kimble. It's tight and very well done, very exciting. Watching it, you'll see why the show was such a hit in its day.

Just finished episode 5 of the netflix series Ozark. Jason Bateman whom I loved in Arrested Development is fantastic, as is Laura Linney and Julia Garner. Netflix is doing a pretty good job with their original shows...loved Bloodline.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
I haven't turn on the TV for a couple of days may be three days at least....but when I will it will be in the CI channel (Crime Investigation) better than any movie and totally real...so...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Episode 3 of "The Orville" - Wow this one came out of nowhere. Can't describe it without spoilers..... let me just say that I think anyone on the fence about this show should see this one. Serious, thought provoking and honestly something the Trek's NEVER tackled, at least in my memory. Don't know if they're gonna continue in this vein but they should.

Worf

Episode 3 of "The Orville" - Wow this one came out of nowhere. Can't describe it without spoilers..... let me just say that I think anyone on the fence about this show should see this one. Serious, thought provoking and honestly something the Trek's NEVER tackled, at least in my memory. Don't know if they're gonna continue in this vein but they should.

Worf
The Next Generation had an episode or two that dealt with asexual or androgynous species' but, with it becoming a prevalent real life issue in recent years, this is the first sci-fi show I've seen that commented on parents who feel they have the right to choose whether their child should be male or female regardless of whether or not their decision is in the child's best interests. I thought the episode of The Orville handled it well, if perhaps a bit predictably, but I would have been disappointed if they had resolved the issue differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points