Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I didn't think we disagreed that often, Worf. While we obviously have some differing tastes and likes, I thought we were on the same page a lot of the time.

Anyway, I'm always interested in hearing your opinions too, dude!
Ah my dear Doctor... sarcasm lost on you again as usual LOL! That's one thing I hate about this medium... your friends can't tell when you're having em on! For those of you who might not know... Doc sat on my front porch, we talked of cabbages and kings comics and movies. We wrangled and wrongled... I was sure he'd get the gist that I was a poking him gently... in the ribs... with a baseball bat!

Worf

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Silly me, didn't catch the cynicism! I should know by now that we're sympatico on most stuff.

So... how do you - or anyone else - feel about Westworld this season?

My feelings haven't changed since the first season: no matter how much money HBO throws at the series, no matter how classy, clever, and well acted it is... it just leaves me cold. I still watch because it's EVENT TV, but I just can't warm to it. (Part of it for me is the same basic problem I had with the recent Blade Runner sequel: if most of the viewpoint characters aren't human, how can I be concerned about them "discovering their humanity"?)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Terror. anyone watching this AMC series? I find it incredibly relaxing. The color tones and audio settings are soft and intimate. The story is tense and heady, but I somehow ease into it and effortlessly ride with it. Jared Harris is a wonderful lead. Back to the audio...it will help to have surround sound and 5.1 capability. You really have to turn up the volume to hear the conversations. That can be frustrating, but at the same time, as I said, the audio EQing is serene. Finale is next week. Without looking it up, I'm betting the same person who did the theme for The Killing did The Terror theme. They're very similar. I thought The Killing was awful, so there's that.

That's too bad about Westworld. Drops it down a few notches in priority when it is time to catch up here and there.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Forgot Legion was on last night. Turned it on about 15 minutes into it. Long enough to see Lemmy/Lenny tell a rape story lie and kid about besties with Syd. Ha ha. And what was with the eggs? How do slimy lizards hatch out of chicken eggs? That makes no sense. The kicker was when I thought they killed the only black character on the show! Really? But, I guess they saved him by plugging his mind into a computer tree?

Yeah, I'm done.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hey folks... "WestWorld" - How do you take a movie and turn it into a series. Not as easy as it sounds. I found the first season great and got into it. I'm still into it though I really REALLY hate the time jumps in Arnold's head. I also don't like the ruthless nature of almost all the main characters. Everybody's a **** or so it seems right now. I saw early on where the Delos Corp was headed... eternal life. The dream of every rich basterd since the beginning of time. Still, I'm hooked! It's a long time till GoT returns and I'm done with Zombies.

Worf

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Sweetbitter. new mini-series on Starz. Awful. I don't know who cast the lead actress, but they should receive a spanking for her. Every canned, amateur gesture in the book. Nothing about her craft is believable. The writing and situations aren't much to talk about either, but she's truly distracting.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Imposters. a Bravo scripted series. One of the bigger surprises of recent memory. Fun with good energy. Clever story and characters that aren't run-of-the-mill. Quality cast that has great chemistry. It's mostly fun though.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Just started watching the 2017 French series Missions. It is about a European space mission to Mars. The team, however, get beaten to the planet by a faster NASA mission, financed by a dying billionaire. Once the Europeans get to Mars, now on a rescue mission, and after the 'death' of their captain, they find that the NASA mission has crashed and its crew have disappeared. They do find a Russian cosmonaut lying on the Martian surface, a man who had disappeared in a 1967 Soviet space flight. Oh, and the Europeans computer is malfunctioning! And they don't have enough fuel to get back into orbit, nor oxygen for more than 48 hours! In other words, great viewing!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Series Finale of "Lucifer". Unless some other network or cable streamer picks it up we've seen the last of Satan's adventures on earth. Sad... I love this show but apparently I was in a distinct minority. It did have a very vocal and loyal fanbase so who knows. The last episode was great and ended on a semi-cliff hanger that really sucks as it will never be resolved. Sigh...

Worf

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
American Masters: Hedy Lamarr. It's amazing how ugly the world is where corporate meets with art. It's absurd that people expect Hollywood types to believe and behave like everyone else. That place is so twisted, and always has been, that you cannot expect the normal to fall out of the grinder. Another documentary that could have been edited by half and told the same story. I didn't know anything about her. It was worth watching.

HanauMan

Practically Family
The Series Finale of "Lucifer". Unless some other network or cable streamer picks it up we've seen the last of Satan's adventures on earth. Sad... I love this show but apparently I was in a distinct minority. It did have a very vocal and loyal fanbase so who knows. The last episode was great and ended on a semi-cliff hanger that really sucks as it will never be resolved. Sigh...

Worf

Yes, sad to see it disappear. I'm a bit of a Lucifan! :)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Patrick Melrose. new 5-episode mini-series on Showtime (never read the book). I found it entertaining, and the cast is amazing. I'm not sure how this won't get tedious though. I think it has a lot of potential, so I hope they do something with the plot and characters. To be honest, there's not a lot new here, but it is really well done. Another drug glutton character.
I was pleasantly proven wrong about this, and the potential appears to becoming realized. Much more here than I suspected; and less comedy and darker than I'd thought. Like I said, the cast is amazing, and their acting does not disappoint. This could turn out to be the break-out of the summer for me.

American Masters: Hedy Lamarr. It's amazing how ugly the world is where corporate meets with art. It's absurd that people expect Hollywood types to believe and behave like everyone else. That place is so twisted, and always has been, that you cannot expect the normal to fall out of the grinder. Another documentary that could have been edited by half and told the same story. I didn't know anything about her. It was worth watching.
TvbjfSv.jpg

Oh come on. You had to know someone was going to do it. :cool:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Silly me, didn't catch the cynicism! I should know by now that we're sympatico on most stuff.

So... how do you - or anyone else - feel about Westworld this season?

My feelings haven't changed since the first season: no matter how much money HBO throws at the series, no matter how classy, clever, and well acted it is... it just leaves me cold. I still watch because it's EVENT TV, but I just can't warm to it. (Part of it for me is the same basic problem I had with the recent Blade Runner sequel: if most of the viewpoint characters aren't human, how can I be concerned about them "discovering their humanity"?)

Not sure that Westworld has resonated in Australia. At least no one in my circles has ever mentioned it. I watched a few episodes to check it out (I think I saw the movie about 40 years ago). I thought it was clever stuff but it moved slowly and after four episodes I had no real reason to keep watching.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Parts 2 and 3 of Masterpiece's "Little Women," with Maya Hawke (Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter, I found out) as Jo, Emily Watson as the girl's mother, and Angela Lansbury as Aunt March. I don't know how it compares to the famous version of the Thirties with Katharine Hepburn. But I see why -- with its dramatic but never melodramatic storyline, as the girls deal with love and loss, falling into an ice pond, the sicknesses of their father and one of the sisters -- Alcott's book is still famous today.

(I do recall a late Seventies or early Eighties TV version, with Susan (Partridge Family) Dey as Jo and William Shatner as her older suitor. But I've never seen it since then.)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't watched, but the reviews I saw were mixed-to-bad, saying this version adds little to previous ones.

The Little Women to see is the 1994 feature film version directed by Gillian Armstrong. Wonderful adaptation (by screenwriter Robin Swicord) with a killer cast: Winona Ryder, Claire Danes, Kirsten Dunst, Susan Sarandon, Christian Bale, Gabriel Byrne, etc.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Forgot Legion was on last night. Turned it on about 15 minutes into it. Long enough to see Lemmy/Lenny tell a rape story lie and kid about besties with Syd. Ha ha. And what was with the eggs? How do slimy lizards hatch out of chicken eggs? That makes no sense. The kicker was when I thought they killed the only black character on the show! Really? But, I guess they saved him by plugging his mind into a computer tree?

Yeah, I'm done.

Mae, I finally got around to watching (we were without power here for five days after last week's freak storm)... and I quit the episode AND the series halfway through. I loved this show last season, but they totally lost me this one. Oy, what a mess!

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Mae, I finally got around to watching (we were without power here for five days after last week's freak storm)... and I quit the episode AND the series halfway through. I loved this show last season, but they totally lost me this one. Oy, what a mess!

I hate to say this, but I will anyway, is Noah Hawley(?) high? To put the incredible cast and crew through that, like you said, oy! Are the comics this awful? Doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy