Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Netflix miniseries Godless, mostly because it got a boatload of Emmy noms and I wanted to see if they were deserved.

And they mostly are. It's a lavishly produced and well acted, fairly traditional western peppered with modern storytelling conventions (flashbacks gradually filling in the backstories) and considerations (treatment of women and minorities). However, like pretty much every Netflix original series, it could have been even better if it was tightened up by an episode or two. There are long lyrical sequences that stop the story dead (though not so many of the eventual dead-end red-herring plots that spin the wheels unnecessarily as in the other Netflix series I have watched). And once it's over, you're left wondering whether the murdering sociopath "good guy" is actually any better than the murdering sociopath "bad guy"... which I guess is another way in which it's a modern western.

Not quite as good as it thinks it is, but worth watching if you like westerns.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I really enjoyed Godless. We gather that it is a one-off series, but really hope they consider making more. It would be interesting to see how/if the anti-anti-anti hero as you describe evolves.

And, holy crap, Jeff Daniels! I see him in a new light!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I didn't mention Jeff Daniels because he's ALWAYS great. And it's a very showy role: a coal-black villain... who sometimes exhibits unexpectedly sympathetic behavior. Whereas I'm not sure if I entirely bought Lady Mary Crawley with a rifle...

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Ha! Godless. I liked it. Didn't love it. Enjoyed it. Will never watch it again (in the case of re-runs or whatever reason it might cross my path again). I'm not sure what to say about Michelle Dockery. She's FAR better in it than in her Good Behavior role. What made me chuckle was how fashiony her wardrobe was in Godless. Just found that funny for some reason.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Affair. Showtime. I've turned my back. I'm not even going to bother with the scanning. This show is ridiculous on a good day and stupid on a bad day.

Preacher. AMC. Still fun. Very fun. Ruth Negga continues to dominate.

Snowfall. FX. Movie quality production. Really top notch. I like it. It should be a limited series. They should know the ending and the entire storyline. They don't, so I'll lay down some cash that this will drastically drop in quality (probably in the third season or so).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I didn't mention Jeff Daniels because he's ALWAYS great. And it's a very showy role: a coal-black villain... who sometimes exhibits unexpectedly sympathetic behavior. Whereas I'm not sure if I entirely bought Lady Mary Crawley with a rifle...

Jeff Daniels is coming here in person in five days to stand on our stage and play country and western music. Is there no end to the man's talents?

I enjoyed Season Two but it is different. I love the New Orleans aesthetic.
There are still aspects that I enjoy, but it’s getting more difficult. Too often, I feel as if they are killing/wasting time and not getting anywhere with the story. The character development has stagnated. Not much is happening. I am not looking for fast and furious, but I want to move forward. Despite all of the negatives I have mentioned, I will continue to watch.
:D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mystery Road - Australian made crime series set in the outback in our far north. Staring Aaron Pedersen (a very talented actor of Aboriginal heritage) and Judy Davis - although I have only seen the first episodes far it's pretty good. Atmosphere, solid storytelling, powerful acting.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Another somewhat disappointing episode of Preacher. They just do not have the same mojo going that they had in season one.

I have to disagree there! Each season so far has been completely different from the others, and I think that is deliberate. I am not sure they could have maintained the same feel/flow from season one.

I will say this, however. I am hoping that the Herr Starr group story line is resolved this season. And that Hitler returns soon.

You don't hear that every day...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"Brass Ring," another Season Two episode of The Fugitive. "A woman hires Kimble to be the caretaker of her brother, who was disabled in a car accident. Her boyfriend wants her to run away with him along with her brother's insurance money. Kimble becomes the unwitting patsy in his scheme."

So a sort of reverse Double Indemnity here, with Angie Dickinson as the young woman (she seems to think she's over the hill at 27), the young Robert Duvall as the disabled brother, and John (Honey West) Ericson as the co-plotter in the scheme. It's not for small potatoes, either: Duvall, the brother, netted $100K in 1965 money as his settlement, and while Angie has been spending some of it on him, we see there's a lot left. It's hinted that Kimble is having a physical affair with her, which upsets Ericson. I was going to write "no end," but apparently he's willing to put up with that if it means he gets Angie and the money after he murders Duvall.

Duvall's career goes back to the Playhouse 90 days; he did some TV before he played Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird, and he was the original villain, Harry Roat Jr., in the stage production of Wait Until Dark. Here he dominates the scenes he's in, first almost motionless but snarling in his wheelchair or bed, and later (after Kimble has gotten him to exercise, and he has some mobility) gleeful and optimistic.

I forget who wrote that he and Alan Arkin were two of the greatest actors in America. Not surprising that they both played Roat (one of the great villains of stage or screen), and have had long careers.

Last edited:
Last night, the most recent episode of “Yellowstone.”
We are really enjoying this show.
This morning with a cup of coffee, “The Andy Griffith Show.”
Always entertaining and good for a laugh.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My wife and I almost quit watching Yellowstone after the first couple of episodes, but it is getting better. I struggle with anything "western" with Kevin Costner in it, knowing his political views on firearms. I have a hard time with hypocrites.

I think my favorite scene so far is Beth in the cowboy/redneck bar with the developer! She's a real viper, but at least she's honest about it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21