Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Recently I watched the last tv show peaky blinders (https://subdl.live/peaky-blinders-season-2-subtitles/) and It is one of the best tv series I've ever watched. I will definitely recommend this series to watch. The series is worth every second of your life.
I almost turned off the first episode of this last season. The director went all GuyRitchie with the overbearing too loud sound track instead of just telling the quite compelling story. It seemed he/she thought it needed to be sexed up in some way as the story itself was not sufficient. But we persevered and it calmed down some. No season 7 but ala Deadwood a movie to wrap it up.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Season 3 of "The Orville" - Shows you how lackluster a streaming channel HULU is, I didn't even know the new season was airing. After an almost 3 year wait you'd think HULU would've trumpeted this series return.. but no... it didn't. After watching the first 2 episodes it's plain to see that those expecting the light hearted, goofy series of the past is going to be sorely disappointed. This series is SERIOUS now, and quite "adult". I'd say it falls somewhere between STNG and Deep Space Nine in tone. I found the first episode extremely compelling. The second one gave Puddin' nightmares.

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Episode 3 of Season 2's Only Murders in the Building. Such a fantastic show. Steve Martin and Martin Short are at the top of their game.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Old Man (2022). Jeff Bridges stars as Dan Chase, a former CIA officer who is living "off the grid" when he finds himself the target of people who want to kill him. Co-starring John Lithgow as Harold Harper and Alia Shawkat as Angela Adams, two agents trying to help Chase, and Amy Brenneman as Zoe, a civilian who becomes accidentally entangled in Chase's life. So far there appear to be seven episodes in the first season, one airs per week on FX, and a second season hasn't been greenilt yet. Aside from simply wanting to work, I don't know what Bridges' motivation was for accepting this role because it's very unlike most of the roles he's chosen lately. So far I'm enjoying the way the story is slowly unfolding, and I'm hoping they aren't going to screw it up.
I don't know if they're screwing it up, but it's far less convincing the further they get into it. All of a sudden, all these geniuses are not so genius, and the one who isn't a genius, is suddenly a genius. It's really no surprise though. It's common for writers to inject ideas and characters that can't be sustained while they also keep the story moving. It's one thing to expose someone's chink in their armor, but it's quite another to conveniently make a character inconsistent. I mistakenly thought this was a mini-series, but it looks like it is planned to be an on-going series. I'm scratching my head how that is possible. I'm not nearly as enthused about this series as I was after the first 2-3 episodes.

^ I haven't watched Episode V yet, but I have to agree with you--the more I see of this show the less interested I get, even though I like the actors involved. I'll probably watch through the first season, but I haven't decided yet whether or not I'd watch a second season.

I watched Money Heist while locked in my bedroom for the last week. Season 1 & 2 blew me away! Seasons 3-5 were ok too, but you could tell that Netflix got involved.
Now I need a good follow up.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if they're screwing it up, but it's far less convincing the further they get into it. All of a sudden, all these geniuses are not so genius, and the one who isn't a genius, is suddenly a genius. It's really no surprise though. It's common for writers to inject ideas and characters that can't be sustained while they also keep the story moving. It's one thing to expose someone's chink in their armor, but it's quite another to conveniently make a character inconsistent. I mistakenly thought this was a mini-series, but it looks like it is planned to be an on-going series. I'm scratching my head how that is possible. I'm not nearly as enthused about this series as I was after the first 2-3 episodes.
I checked out after episode 2. I wasn't too impressed with it. It seemed too "mystery box" for me. Like the writers were creating more and more questions without answering any of the ones they were starting out with. My Dad said he stopped with Episode 5, but apparently my mother is the only one still keeping up with it.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
I get all my recommendations of stuff to watch from this thread ;-)

** SPOILERS**

Just watched the first 5 episodes of The Old Man. I think it's pretty darn good. As mentioned: not liking / caring about the characters? I guess I can see that, but it's not a deal breaker for me. As for other "issues" I can kinda agree there too - (an Asst. FBI Director is not going to just fly to Tunis on a moments notice, etc.) but as I always say, it's a TV show not a class in logic, lol.

Entertaining show. Some very nice surprises. Caught me TOTALLY off-guard with Angela Adams is his daughter. I haven't been surprised like that in years, I didn't even recognize her voice. Some other surprises as well. Good job.

The first flashback to young Johnny Kohler / Dan Chase and the woman with the foreign accent in the restaurant I didn't catch as a flashback. I thought it was going to be a parallel storyline, lol. I caught on when the next flashback happened.

John Lithgow, gotta say he looks good, looks like he hasn't missed a beat since his "salad days" of the 80s & 90s. Nice job on the casting. Joel Grey? Genius choice. Although the young dark-haired CIA guy I thought was a casting mistake, at first. But I'm warming up to him.

I'd like to see a season two and three. I can't see it going more than that, or needing more than that, really. Tell the story, beginning, middle, end, and that's it. It's always better that way.

Chaz-o-meter sez: 7.3961 out of 10 stars.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Hotel Portofino. PBS. I'm liking this one a lot. The tech and filming quality is great and reminds me of The Durrells in Corfu. An English family owns a hotel in 1920's Italy, and Mussolini and fascism is affecting their operation. The wife comes from money and runs the hotel, while the husband is a scuzzball and drains all the money, even stealing from the hotel. I hope this is popular. I already want a second season.

The Seaside Hotel. A Danish production on PBS. I believe this is a new series to PBS. Googling shows it has eight seasons, and PBS is airing season 3. It's fun. I like it.

Dark Winds. AMC. An all Native American writers' room. The story is OK. The Navajo beliefs and mysticism makes it all more interesting and unique. The acting is terrible and its weak link. I enjoy it and would like to see it get another season.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Boys on Amazon Prime. The new season is just as nasty and outrageous as ever, and it remains an excellent commentary on fictional superheroes and real society. It's strong stuff - like Watchmen on steroids, definitely NOT for kids - but it really knows what it wants to say about heroism and media.
We are so loving this season! Just back from a cottage week away, looking forward to the latest episode!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Her absence is beautifully, and respectfully, dealt with in Series 6. I look forward to seeing what you make of it. Not everyone over here got what they wanted from it, but I loved it. We have been promised at least one cinematic outing to follow...

We have now finished the last season.

Agreed, the story line to deal with Aunt Pol was great. Trying not to give away spoilers, but I was on tenterhooks for a while with how they were dealing with Tommy, but good lord, that last episode! Thanks for that relief!

I had to go back and review series five episodes to re-learn about the story line behind Finn's situation. I had thought it almost ludicrously sudden, but on reflection realized (remembered) there was a backstory.

Overall, fantastic.

My wife learned about Oswald Mosely and the Mitford sisters because I had to explain these were real people!

Edward

Bartender
We have now finished the last season.

Agreed, the story line to deal with Aunt Pol was great. Trying not to give away spoilers, but I was on tenterhooks for a while with how they were dealing with Tommy, but good lord, that last episode! Thanks for that relief!

I had to go back and review series five episodes to re-learn about the story line behind Finn's situation. I had thought it almost ludicrously sudden, but on reflection realized (remembered) there was a backstory.

Overall, fantastic.

My wife learned about Oswald Mosely and the Mitford sisters because I had to explain these were real people!

One of the things that for me really spoke to the quality of the writing was much of how they deal with Mosely, knowing they weren't going to chance history and yet still making it a compelling story knowing how things turned out for him. I also thought they dealt well with the IRA storylines, particularly in a period where it's often not realised that paramilitary activity in Ireland was still around.

Edward

Bartender
While on leave, I've watched a few things. Currently bingeing Deutschland 89, which is great stuff. I've enjoyed all three series in this franchise, though this one, being mainly Berlin-set again, is for me a notch better than the 86 series. I have zero nostalgia for the eighties, I suppose I remember it too well for that, but I do enjoy these Cold War espionage period pieces. It's fascinating for many reasons, not least how much of it now would be replaced by cyber warfare and hacking activity.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just finished season 3 of "The Boys". Big setup for little payoff. Yeah the final battle was great but they cheaped out on the ending. Not gonna spoil it for anyone. But I was expecting much more real tragedy than I got. Still it's better television than most of the current fare.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Westworld" Season 4 - Many folks probably quit this show when it literally "left the park". But I still watch it and enjoy it as it presents some interesting takes on "free will" and control of human kind for it's "betterment". In Seasons 1-3 we see how a corporation, effectively controlled humankind via giant computers and algorithms etc... You were tracked and slotted into a pre-determined path. Westworld and the other parks were used to gather all the data possible to allow the computer to make it's calculations AND also garner enough data on individuals to make immortal copies.

This plot was thwarted by androids/hosts that escaped from Westworld and, along with other humans, destroyed all the giant computers and their minions. Flash forward 8 years and we find out that some of the android hosts that have escaped have their on agenda for humankind and it too involves control and revenge.

I find the show well made and fascinating. And will watch it till it ends.

Worf

Sunday night on PBS, Hotel Portofino and Grantchester. Hotel Portofino is watched more for the scenery, but the story has become more interesting. Grantchester, for us, is definitely the more entertaining of the two. Likable characters and entertaining stories make it worth watching. This last episode was actually pretty funny as well.

Last night, we watched the first two episodes of Outer Range on Amazon. I enjoy Josh Brolin’s acting as well as alien-type things ( X-Files), and westerns so I figured why not. It has Tom Pelphrey (Wendy Byrde’s brother) of Ozark too. And Lily Taylor. It is slow moving to begin with which is fine for us. Got to set up the foundation. After two episode, I will say that I am entertained enough to keep watching. :D

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
"Westworld" Season 4 - Many folks probably quit this show when it literally "left the park". But I still watch it and enjoy it as it presents some interesting takes on "free will" and control of human kind for it's "betterment". In Seasons 1-3 we see how a corporation, effectively controlled humankind via giant computers and algorithms etc... You were tracked and slotted into a pre-determined path. Westworld and the other parks were used to gather all the data possible to allow the computer to make it's calculations AND also garner enough data on individuals to make immortal copies.

This plot was thwarted by androids/hosts that escaped from Westworld and, along with other humans, destroyed all the giant computers and their minions. Flash forward 8 years and we find out that some of the android hosts that have escaped have their on agenda for humankind and it too involves control and revenge.

I find the show well made and fascinating. And will watch it till it ends.

Worf
I didn't know it had started back up again. I'll check it out.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
I watched the first two episodes of Dark Winds. Again I think someone here mentioned it so I'm checking it out.
So far I like it, my main issue is that the writers are throwing a lot of stuff at the viewer very quickly. Not sure how much is misdirection and how much is integral to the plot. Do they assume as a viewer that you're already familiar with Hillerman's books?

Season 5 of "Animal Kingdom"......I have to admit I am watching the show only because we have invested 4 previous seasons. Similarly to Peaky Blinders we no longer care about the characters......they have zero redeeming qualities and I agree with my wife in that she hopes they all get arrested and sent to jail for lengthy terms. Just bad people no worthy of sympathy. BUT we will watch Season 6 when it comes out later this year.....just out of cussedness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ