Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Edward

Bartender
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I know a lot of us enjoyed this series:

[/URL]

I had mixed feelings about the show, but I was definitely looking forward to another season!

That's a shame. I've still not had a chance to see it - I hope it comes belatedly to UK screens.

Finished watching The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix which I enjoyed.

Just started The English on Amazon Prime last night. Going to try and not binge it. The first episode was...intense. But these are two fascinating characters.

View attachment 523896

Watched this on the BBC last year when it was first broadcast in the UK; very good indeed. I have a half remembered notion it is based on a novel, which I really should read.

I only now learned this. After a fast read and quick cry my suspicions are raised since the series definitely
flexed box office muscle while giving the public substantial viewing fare instead of vapid hackneyed tripe.
Sometimes a production company needs to allow sufficient lead time for audiences to rediscover a seemingly
lost series after a two-year hiatus. All more so if its initial run was overwhelmingly favourable.

It it were a BBC show, I'd suspect this to be a precursor to them doing a co-funding deal with one of the big streamers - they have form in that regard. I'm often torn with these things - I want a show I love to continue, but I'd also rather it cut while it was good, rather than wearing thin and running out of ideas a bit ("I hear the blues a callin' tossed salads and scrambled eggs...."). I do like the fact that the streaming era, freed from the tyranny of broadcast schedules, has facilitated the rise of shows that are as long as they need to be - both in terms of episode length and number of episodes / series / episodes per series.... That flexibility is good for story telling. On the other hand, I'm also distinctly unimpressed by how the Netflix business model has hurt shows that should continue in particular by favouring early cancellation and novelty...

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
It it were a BBC show, I'd suspect this to be a precursor to them doing a co-funding deal with one of the big streamers - they have form in that regard. I'm often torn with these things - I want a show I love to continue, but I'd also rather it cut while it was good, rather than wearing thin and running out of ideas a bit ("I hear the blues a callin' tossed salads and scrambled eggs....").
Since I caught Perry Mason I learned its literary background birthed Depression-era paperbacks marketed to
popular acclaim, writ by an American called Gardner whom had read law in post WWI California. There is a
large untapped canon for scripting here hardly touched so I suspect the biz lads cut and ran.
What especially appealed for me were its flawed deeply human characters.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Gilded Age on HBO Max or Max or whatever it is they're calling themselves now.

This lush, gorgeous period drama is vapid and frothy, but still a ton of fun. The costumes are eye candy - so beautiful and detailed that I often miss what the characters are doing because I'm drooling over what they're wearing!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Gilded Age on HBO Max or Max or whatever it is they're calling themselves now.

This lush, gorgeous period drama is vapid and frothy, but still a ton of fun. The costumes are eye candy - so beautiful and detailed that I often miss what the characters are doing because I'm drooling over what they're wearing!
Ahem... Ahem ah say.... Many of the exterior shots and some of the interior shots where done right here in good ole Troy, New York. They closed off a lot of "old downtown", put a crap load of sand and dirt on the streets and changed all of the store fronts to Victorian era shops. When they weren't filming you could walk around, gawk and talk. It was marvelous.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also really enjoyed The Gilded Age and am looking forward to the second season.

And "Mrs. Astor's mansion" was shot at one of my old stomping grounds, the Hudson River Museum in Yonkers, which was built around the 1877 "Glenview" mansion:

One of the links on that page, an article about the show's many Newport and New York filming locations:

Edward

Bartender
Currently binging The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones before the release of the final movie on the 30th. Very much enjoying it so far.

I'm planning to do that soon. I won't be able to get to see the new one for a couple of weeks yet, though - but it'll my beginning of time off treat to myself once all the marking is done...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Ahem... Ahem ah say.... Many of the exterior shots and some of the interior shots where done right here in good ole Troy, New York. They closed off a lot of "old downtown", put a crap load of sand and dirt on the streets and changed all of the store fronts to Victorian era shops. When they weren't filming you could walk around, gawk and talk. It was marvelous.

Worf
Okay, that sounds SO COOL!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've been working through HBO's The Plot Against America based on Philip Roth's book. In this alternate timeline, Lindbergh is elected president in 1940. Have one more episode left. It is good, but could have been a lot better.

Also watched the series finale of Endeavour, the prelude to Inspector Morse. I'm going to miss this show. It's so good.

milandro

A-List Customer
I've been working through HBO's The Plot Against America based on Philip Roth's book. In this alternate timeline, Lindbergh is elected president in 1940. Have one more episode left. It is good, but could have been a lot better.
If you liked the film you will love the book!

I liked both very much.

As for TV series to watch, we are watching " Billions". Very well written and highly recommended to have a better grip of the world of finance (and politics).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
If you liked the film you will love the book!

I liked both very much.

As for TV series to watch, we are watching " Billions". Very well written and highly recommended to have a better grip of the world of finance (and politics).
I used to have the book and somehow misplaced it? So I ordered another copy!

I need a new show to watch - so I'll check out Billions. Thanks!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Tried the Skull Island cartoon on Netflix. It stopped taking itself seriously about 3 episodes in, and that's when I cut out.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Currently binging The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones before the release of the final movie on the 30th. Very much enjoying it so far.

Years ago while in NYC I saw a televised older Jones octogenarian w/eye patch and cane whom recounted an adventure in 1917 Russia to a young man-set inside a museum. Since seeing Dial of Destiny I am captivated by the
academician archeologist in his sunset. What really first drew me to Jones was his comfort with himself and the vocation found within himself. How I marveled and envied this figure no end.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Also watched the series finale of Endeavour, the prelude to Inspector Morse. I'm going to miss this show. It's so good.
I'm familiar with the series, I watched a couple of episodes. I was also a fan of other "alternative histories" i.e. "what if the south had won the civil war.. what if Germany had won the first world war etc..." While I thought the program was "okay" the country at the time the show was first being aired was in "political turmoil" to say the least. I was in no mood to be entertained by a portrayal of a fascist United States in the 30's or 40's. Sorry...

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm familiar with the series, I watched a couple of episodes. I was also a fan of other "alternative histories" i.e. "what if the south had won the civil war.. what if Germany had won the first world war etc..." While I thought the program was "okay" the country at the time the show was first being aired was in "political turmoil" to say the least. I was in no mood to be entertained by a portrayal of a fascist United States in the 30's or 40's. Sorry...

Worf
Yeah, it's very timely.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Beware The Batman" - This short lived animation series was shown on the Cartoon Network around 2013. Much like "The Batman", another series made in the early 2000's, I did not watch it as "Batman the Animated Series" was still fresh in my mind and I couldn't see how they could ever compete with such a masterful series. Well MAX had the entire series to stream so I sat down to watch it. This Batman's world is entirely different from "canonical" Batmans. This worlds Alfred is an ex-MI6 badass, there's no Robin to be seen. The spot of sidekick is filled by Katana, a sword wielding youngster late of the League of Assassins. This is also early on the Batman's career, Gordon's still a Lieutenant and Harvey Dent is no friend of Bruce Wayne's and is actively trying to kill Batman.

The biggest changes are in Batman's "Rouges Gallery". Not a Joker, Penguin, Riddler big baddie in sight. The League of Assassins does make an appearance but Raish al Ghoul doesn't even do battle with Batman much. We get the likes of Professor Pig and Toad, Magpie, "Anarchy" and other assorted D-list villains. The most jarring thing however is the animation style the series uses. Gotham is modern, clean and most of all, lifeless. There aren't even cars around much less people. And Batman, somehow loses his forehead whenever he dons his mask????? What a mess....

Still in all, despite all of the above, I found the series enjoyable. The primary reason it engaged me was the series was a continuum. Threads had arks that lasted for episodes. Everything was related to everything else and tied together quite well by the end. Think the difference between STNG or STOS and DS9. By the end, I was wishing for a second season, which I'll NEVER get. Only for completists and denizens of the Batman omni verse. really, but I enjoyed it.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy