Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first fedora?

diabolicaldog

New in Town
I went to work on a large sheep station in western N.S.W in 1986. Going hatless for the first summer where the temp gets well over 100 for long periods is something I will always remember. The local menswear shop had good selection of Akubras including many cowboy styles. I ended up with a Squatter in carbon grey. This was followed up a few years later(1989) by a Akubra made Stetson Open Road in silverbelly.

I have just ordered a Squatter in deep fawn and Campdraft in silverbelly for the first time since the original purchase. The past 20 years have seen a Akubra Arena and 5 or 6 Akubra Bobby all in sand to protect my now very bald head.

Bugguy

Practically Family
I picked up a black 60's Dobbs in a local vintage store. I took it to Batsakes in Cincinnati to clean and he totally restored it. It was sold by one of his competitors 2 blocks down that he out-survived. It's still my favorite.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Campdraft

bgcd1-L.jpg

I still have this hat, although i don't wear it too often.

earl

A-List Customer
Bought my first 1, a 1940's Lee, in a Goodwill store in the mid-80's, (never saw another 1 in a thrift shop since). Only bought my second felt fedora in the past year and my first straw 1 this summer. Earl

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
As promised earlier, here are the Before and After shots of my Knock Around hat, an Orvis fly fishing fedora. I suppose it really is my "first," as I have had it about 3 years. I think that the good people at the Brass Rooster of Milwaukee did a superb job in cleaning and re-ribboning the lid.
Before.jpg
After.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
My first fedora was a panama, and I got it when I was either 9 or 10 years old. I don't have it anymore, because it got ran over by a car. It was a Scala, and it was white. For some reason, it didn't have a snap brim. It just was flat all around. I can't take a picture of it, because I don't know where it is. Funny thing is that I wear the same size (extra large) back then, as I do now.

Kind of unrelated: When I was either 9 or 10, I liked wearing suits everyday. I bought them cheap at Marshalls.
I think I made a mistake, my first fedora was a tan crushable Minnetonka. I was either 9 or 10 (like I said in my first post) when I got it. Personally, I hate crushable hats. They always feel too loose, and get mashed up all the time. You don't need a hat to be crushable to be fixed. My brown Scala fedora came all smashed, and I just pushed it back in place, and it looks as good as new.
80xiB5Z.jpg
JGY9ZkR.jpg
FtWH0rs.jpg

Last edited:

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
My first would be the hand me down Disney in my Ava pic... I'm definitely wanting more, but due to constraints atm that is on hold... The old thing is a bit of a beater now, but still in nice enough shape that a little reshaping and cleaning and she'd be more of an everyday dress/casual shape... One thing I really love is the dent, looks like a center dent, but there is a cross dent in it making it almost a diamond shape...

The picture is of before I 'squared' up the dent, and gave it more of a classic cross like dimension shape to the diamond... Maybe I'll try and get an updated pic posted soon...

C47D2B03-AF2C-401B-BF48-9DBF09ED8270_zpso1eqg7sc.jpg

Kevlar

New in Town
My Borsalino Film that I inherited from my Dad. Full-fledged fedora in black fur felt -- wide brimmed, tall in the crown.

I prefer for everyday wear a decent stingy brim fedora -- like a Dobbs Twenty or the trusty Hardeman that I wore to work today. They fit my face and physique better. Nothing beats a nice porkpie, either.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I collected hats as a kid in the sixties - top hat, derby, homburg, boater, deerstalker, etc. - but never had a proper fedora! My first fedora came much later: one of the better (fur felt) Indiana Jones hats Stetson sold in the eighties, tied in with Temple of Doom. It was a really good hat apart from its cloth sweatband. Alas, I lost it in my divorce.

The next one was a Stetson Temple in 2002. Since then I'm moved on to Akubras and custom hats...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My first real fedora was a Stetson in dark brown, a model a lot like today's Chatham. My second was the no-name "Casablanca" model that I had Meyer's customize with a leather belt and buckle instead of a ribbon. (I still have it; it was the model for Mike of Northwest Hats to build my first custom from him.) Then came a succession of Stetson Temples, 2 of which I still have.

There ensued a long break, ironically including my time in Denver, where a hat would have been useful as well as decorative. When Australia the film came out, though, I liked the broad-brimmed, dusty fedora Nicole Kidman wears during the trail drive scenes, and went searching online for one like it. I wound up here. Bought a Federation in carbon gray, and have been off to the hat races ever since.

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
My uncle gave me a Stetson that I only wore once, and a no name grey fedora I loved. When I went off to college, etc, my youngest brother "used" them and I haven't seen them since.

First one I bought was a Norm Thompson wool "traveler." Mrs Fed is wearing it in this pic, and my next "real" purchase was a Penman Everyman Inday hat which I really like.

i-2PjSzN7-L.jpg

i-9tGLJ82-L.jpg

Indy!

Well, my first was a Panama I picked up in San Juan a few years ago. I picked it up at a shop called Ole's. I can't find a photo of it right now and it's packed away.

My first fur felt was a Selentino Sterling I bought from Gus Miller at Batsakes in Cincinnati. I don't wear it as much now, but it still has an honored place in my dining room to hang.

Picture15 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails