Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What with what?

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Hi guys, haven't been here for a while. I've been distracted with other things. But, after a quick password reset, I managed to log in and I'm vainly trying to catch up with posts.

In the meantime; I've just watched one of my favorite programmes here in the UK, Foyle's War. Not only is it well written, it's set in WWII with all the appropriate fashion. I love watching fiction from that era because of the way guys dress. Anyway, I noticed in today's episode several characters with mis-matching hats. A case in point is:

foyles.jpg

On the right, Brown hat with blue suit? I noticed this with several characters. Was that normal for the day or have the costumers made a mistake. Am I just being picky? Should I be wearing my brown fedora with a blue jacket?

What's the general feeling about this.

Steve

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Was that normal for the day or have the costumers made a mistake.
If so, it would certainly not be the first time. I love that series, but I actually find a lot of the hats more 30'ish than 40'ish. The tall crowns and rather narrow brims often look quite pre-WWII to me :)

Most pictorial material from that period is in B/W. Color-wise we know quite a bit about how Hollywood dressed at the time, but not so much about how Mr. and Mrs. Smith dressed. And the question is: How interesting is that, when choosing what to wear in 2013? If I wanted to mimic a wax-doll in a museum, I would care - but I don't. I was born in the mid 50's, and as a product of the era in which I live, I often wear T-shirts, sweatshirts and jeans together with a dressy hat. That would have been a total no-go for a gent in the 40's.

If you want to do like gents did in the 40's, I guess you should dress in a more contemporary style - and maybe spice the impression with a classy hat, that looks good with the clothes. Remember, gents in the 40's did not wear the exact wardrobes of their granddads, either ... why should we?

Luckily there are no legal restrictions on what combinations to wear, and social-control is generally a lot less prominent today. See that as a blessing and be happy, that you can wear what YOU like to wear, and don't have to ask for your neighbour's permission or accept. Brown can work great with navy, but it won't work for you, if it doesn't make you comfortable ;)

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are some colour photographs available from the 30's and 40's, the American Library of Congress holds quite a collection. There's even some home movie film available from the UK (a search for for George Wain will bring up some wonderful footage). Contemporary book and magazine illustrations are also available.

Menswear was surprisingly colourful. Brown hats with navy or grey suits wasn't at all unusual. If you're worried about historical precedence it's fine, but as Ole says, wear what you feel comfortable with.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I remember vividly one morning when I was a college student preparing for a job interview. I put on a navy pinstripe suit that was a hand-me-down from my dad with an appropriate tie and a white shirt. When I put on my black fedora it looked too severe to me, so I started trying my other colors. Grey was pretty good, but when I chanced to put on my brown hat, it looked GREAT! I was quite surprised to see what a harmonious combo they made and I wore brown with that suit most of the time after that (except for when I wore my black derby).

I find that a little contrast between the hat and the rest of the outfit can look good. Hats are usually made in earthy tones that go well with most clothing. And there's nothing wrong with a bold hat if you feel like it, either.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
I remember vividly one morning when I was a college student preparing for a job interview. I put on a navy pinstripe suit that was a hand-me-down from my dad with an appropriate tie and a white shirt. When I put on my black fedora it looked too severe to me, so I started trying my other colors. Grey was pretty good, but when I chanced to put on my brown hat, it looked GREAT!

Don't keep us in suspense. Did you get the job for looking so sharp? :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn