Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on your dresser?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wow,...that hankerchief box is way-cool PSG!

Looks like a Maxfield Parrish, but it's not a work of his I'm familiar with. Nice find. :)
Okay, here's mine. Not exactly a dresser top as that's hidden back in the closet to save space, this is my headboard.
An art deco Egyptian candle holder, a silver candle stick, a Napco figurine from occupied Japan,(great minds think alike ;) ) a stained glass lamp crafted by my father, and a non-retro digital clock.
Dressertop001.jpg

This little bellboy was just too cool to resist,...
Dressertop002.jpg

16_sparrows

Vendor
Here's some photos of what is on my dresser. I'm currently away from home, so I'm pulling out some old photos.

242887820_2f68f8bc69.jpg

Old letters I bought from Ebay (they are quite a boring read, but pretty to look at), an old photo of my mom, tiered tray with my jewelry, and my flask.

237702778_ed8448af58.jpg

Repo Crosley radio with my iPod plugged in so I can listen to my OTRs and random books.

A long shot of my dresser. It's a really heavy dresser from the 70s that I refurbished.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
Well, I'll bite. :)

I see you have saved what looks like n empty water bottle?

derbywater.jpg

An empty bottle of "Derby water", from The Derby night club. I've seen a lot of memorabilia of the Brown Derby, which was what the location once was, so I collected a Derby night club item. The price of this bottle of water is worth bringing your own instead. They don't serve water in glasses and I forgot to bring my own.

I'll explain some other oddities.

Also up there, you can see a newspaper. It was wrapped around something (I fail to remember what) that I bought from eBay. It's from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. I thought it was neat to see a newspaper from another city and state.

You can't see it, but right in front of the Gettysburg newspaper, is a "World News" paper, which is one of those publications stating Elvis is alive, or in this issue, Santa Claus is getting an accupunture, complete with exclusive photos.
I bought it one day from a Walmart, and the cashier gave me this "you've got to be kidding me" look. It was funny, and the newspaper itself is enlightening.

If you see anything else, please ask. I enjoy telling their stories. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Looks like a Maxfield Parrish, but it's not a work of his I'm familiar with. Nice find. :)
Okay, here's mine. Not exactly a dresser top as that's hidden back in the closet to save space, this is my headboard.
An art deco Egyptian candle holder, a silver candle stick, a Napco figurine from occupied Japan,(great minds think alike ;) ) a stained glass lamp crafted by my father, and a non-retro digital clock.
Dressertop001.jpg

This little bellboy was just too cool to resist,...
Dressertop002.jpg

Very nice, very nice!

I thought it was a Maxfield Parrish at first, too, but I think it's just an early imitator. Definitely his style!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
Oh, yummy hobnail milkglass, how nice! Your garbage find is amazing. Do I need to start dumpster diving? :p

That dumpster dive happened almost 15 years ago. You just don't find things like that any more in the garbage. (Well, you still can but they are few and far in between - not like the days of yore)

imoldfashioned - I love your dressing table. The style is very regency-era looking to me. Is that part of an antique brass bed that I see peeking out from the corners of the picture? If so, I'm jealous. I'm in the market for a headboard/footboard for my own bed and I'm trying to find an antique brass one.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
BeBopBaby said:
imoldfashioned - I love your dressing table. The style is very regency-era looking to me. Is that part of an antique brass bed that I see peeking out from the corners of the picture? If so, I'm jealous. I'm in the market for a headboard/footboard for my own bed and I'm trying to find an antique brass one.

Thanks so much for the compliment! I got the bedroom set when I was helping a friend's family clean out their grandmother's house. Nobody liked the set (which still boggles my mind) and they knew I was into vintage so they gave it to me! It includes a headboard, footboard, nightstand, 2 dressers, the dressing table, side chair and ottoman (in other words, more furniture than I can fit into my bedroom!). Lillian (the grandmother, who I adored) got it for a wedding present when she was married in 1930 and the floral panels are hand painted. The style is an odd mix of Regency, Italian and Deco but I think it's a lovely set, and it reminds me of a dear woman.

A funny story before I move on--Lillian was a devout Catholic and she'd go on religious retreats. After she returned from one she gave my friend (her granddaughter) a devotional book. Then she came to me, took my hand and gave me a book about Thomas Merton. "He was a convert you know!" she said with a wink. Sweet, sweet lady.

That is a brass bed--back in the dotcom days I got a big bonus and I splurged on having the bed sent from England. It was made in 1911 and has china commermorative panels with pictures of George and Mary on the footboard. The dealer said it was the only one she'd ever seen. I have a collection of George and Mary commemoratives so someday the room will be decorated with that theme--insert silly quip about my guests being treated like royalty here!

headboard-1.jpg

Headboard

footb.jpg

Footboard

footboard.jpg

Closeup of the china panels

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
242887820_2f68f8bc69.jpg

Old letters I bought from Ebay (they are quite a boring read, but pretty to look at), an old photo of my mom, tiered tray with my jewelry, and my flask.

What a perfect accessory! I wish someone would write me letters to put on my dressing table!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Imoldfashioned - Can I come stay at your house? ;) I think we have very similar taste in furnishings, etc. I'm a good houseguest... just don't ask me why my suitcase is so much heavier when I leave. lol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
BeBopBaby said:
Imoldfashioned - Can I come stay at your house? ;) I think we have very similar taste in furnishings, etc. I'm a good houseguest... just don't ask me why my suitcase is so much heavier when I leave. lol

My doors are always open to Loungers (and here, let me help you with that suitcase...)!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your pictures Quigley, your furniture is really nice! I love the mirrored tray and the bowties. Who is pictured in the photographs?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
16_sparrows said:
Here's some photos of what is on my dresser. I'm currently away from home, so I'm pulling out some old photos.

242887820_2f68f8bc69.jpg

237702778_ed8448af58.jpg

Repo Crosley radio with my iPod plugged in so I can listen to my OTRs and random books.

A long shot of my dresser. It's a really heavy dresser from the 70s that I refurbished.

I also really like the letters. Too bad there are no scandals to read in them. :)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
Thanks for your pictures Quigley, your furniture is really nice! I love the mirrored tray and the bowties. Who is pictured in the photographs?

Thanks. I don't know who the people in the photos are...just some flea market finds. I really like the young Mennonite girl.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Caleb Moore said:
Am I crazy or is that a promotional, light-up glass from one of the Lord of the Rings movies? (True Confessions: I have a few myself.) Story?

Yes it is. I bought it from Burger King a couple years ago. The only story I can think of behind it is it's never been used. Dusty as heck, too.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Quigley Brown said:
I guess my dressers need a good dusting off...
2-5.jpg
I have that same camera, Kodak Brownie Hawkeye (flash model).
It's a family hand-me down. Even have the original yellow box that it came in. Several draw loads of photos were taken with that reliable battle axe of a camera! Can you still buy film and bulbs for it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari