Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the big deal about the Indy Boot?

ProfCharles

New in Town
I love Alden shoes. My black captoe and shell cordovan brogues are among my favorite shoes.
Im looking for boots that I can wear with my jeans, which I usually wear with a navy blazer and a tucked in button down and when I tried these on in the Alden store, I felt off.
The sole has a sharp contrast from the rest of the shoe and sticks out. It reminds me of a clown shoe. I spent half an hour trying on different types of indy. The sales clerk said it was their bread and butter shoe. I wasnt too impressed, but thats me.
Can someone tell me whats the big deal about the indy boot that would make it a best seller among other boots?

Thanks

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wandered into DSW with my daughter a few weeks ago, and noticed a nice selection of men's dress boots. I had been looking for an Indy-type boot, although not necessarily the exact style. I had not been aware that DSW sold men's shoes.

I found a pair of ankle-high, lace-up, wing-tip, brown dress boots with a 'stacked' heel, meaning not rubber, so it didn't have that work boot look, and they were priced very reasonably.

There were a lot of other boots there that fit into the same style-category, so I would say to you to give them a look-see, if there is one nearby to you.

ProfCharles

New in Town
The Indy boot reminds you of a clown shoe? What size is your shoe?

Doesnt matter the size. The shape of the shoe (the extended sole and moc toe) doesnt appear all that flattering to me. Albeit we're entitled to our opinions regarding style, this is a very popular boot and im trying to understand this. Alden makes other boots that are just as nice.

As for DSW, the only time i bought shoes there was when i needed a beater slip on. If i buy a boot it would either be an Alden, Wolverine, or Red Wing, which DSW doesnt have.

Edward

Bartender
I really likethe style, but I'm sure a bit part of the boot's generl appeal is to do with its character association. Much as how the A2 would be significantly less popular absent the romanticised WW2 image, and Steve Macqueen.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
It is an original and although I dont own a pair they look quite comfortable, I know for sure they look better with age which is why I'd still like to get a pair someday

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
It reminds me of a clown shoe.

I too find the Indy boot to be unattractive. I have many pairs of Alden shoes and boots but nothing built on the Trubalance last (the last on which the Indy boot is built). Too "bulbous". As for comfort, they are comfortable but certainly no more so than many other brands of boots IMO.

Feraud

Bartender
The fact that the 405 is called "The Indy Boot" answers what the big deal is about the item. It's the cinema recognition.

Is it really a best seller among all boots? It sounds like the sales clerk was doing their job and selling with the comment about their bread and butter product. I rarely see anyone wearing the 405 in NYC. There seems to be a bigger crowd who favor Red Wings and other brands.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The Indy boot is cool as snot. IMO it has the perfect Depression Era workboot profile, is handmade here in the U S of A, is completely rebuildable, and did I mention they're nice looking? :) perfect when paired with some chinos or denim, and an A2, (and a bullwhip :lol: )

Being a child of the NW, I'm more partial to Whites or Wesco. But my next pair is likely going to be some Indy's.

Last edited:
I don't mind the boots, but there are also a lot of boots out there if you're not looking a replica indy costume. my issue w/ the wolverine 1k mile boots is the fact that they seem relativly poorly made for the price. don't get me wrong, I love the horween leather on my Austin lacers, but I think it's silly that I had to glue felt to the backside of the eyetlets so it didn't scratch the tongue leather, and I've also heard that from others.

I've tried on, but did not purchase the Red Wing Iron Rangers and if I had to choose again, I'd go red wing. I also recently picked up a pair of danner mountain light II's and even though they are "modern" rubber sole, gore-tex liner, I think they make a great casual boot, but they are study enough to scale anything in the Adirondacks.

I've been trying on different models of RW, Indy, Chippewa, and Wolverine lately trying to find the look and fit I like. So far I like the Wolverine Krauss 1000mi. I only wish it came in brown- not that red/rust color.

ProfCharles

New in Town
Another thing about the Alden is the moc toe style, which I cannot stand! Do you think Alden would make a custom plain toe version if asked?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Pretty much impossible to get a MTO Alden, tho there are a number of stockists out there that carry a plain toe Trubalance boot (check Unionmade, and The Shoe Mart).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot