Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Fav Hairspray?

December

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
Also, which brand smells best? Or better yet, won't make me cough?

Obviously, I can't compare the two but I can confirm that Elnett smells lovely!

I use the Diamond Hold variety and it holds brilliantly, but does have a tendency to get crunchy.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Aorta said:
Any suggestions for a company that doesn't test on animals? I bought the Aubrey Organics Hair Spray (the strong version) and Aveda's Firmata a few months ago but both don't do the job very well. What about Paul Mitchell hairsprays? Has anyone tried one of them?
The Freeze and Shine is ok, but can clump after you've had the bottle a while. I've used the Super Sculpt as my setting lotion/gel forever and love it. Redken claims to not test on animals and I've used their Quick Dry (#18) with good result.

Blondie

Practically Family
Miss Caroline said:
I tend to use Silverkrin Maximum hold. Probably because it's the cheapest. It holds like glue... but one thing I don't understand about hairsprays. I very nearly bought elnette yesterday, but then it prides its self on brushing out... but what I don't understand, is that you're using hairspray to partly hold your curls, and then when you brush them out to waves... if the hairspray brushes out completely, surely you're left with barely a curl.

or maybe i'm just stupid. :rolleyes:

It brushs out at night so before you reset it you won't have to wash it again, for me this is a bonus as i only wash my hair once a week,
it doesn't flake and feel all stiff and no residue.
Also if you need to restyle a section after you have sprayed it, it will brush out back to normal, restyle, respray and good to go !

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
I love Freeze-It hair spray. Everything stays in place.
freezeit.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I don't use hairspray, but for what i have heard and seen, L'Oreal Elnett is the hairspray most commonly used by hairdressers on the catwalks and fashion shows, it must be good i guess. [huh]

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH said:
I don't use hairspray, but for what i have heard and seen, L'Oreal Elnett is the hairspray most commonly used by hairdressers on the catwalks and fashion shows, it must be good i guess. [huh]

It's also the one that most drag queens seem to use, and if it keeps those bouffants up, that is a pretty darn good endorsement!

However I didn't find it to be that brilliant... or maybe I am just spoiled by the freeze hold stuff!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I never found elnett to actually hold that well, but it doesn't leave a residue so that is a bonus and the smell is lovely. If I want my hair to stay put it has to be rock-hard helmet-like so Tresemme Freeze Spray is the only way to go. The residue is pretty awful it's true - even shampooing it twice with a build-up remover shampoo doesn't get it completely clean - but then that is usually after at least 5 days of heavy-duty use!

Aorta

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
The Freeze and Shine is ok, but can clump after you've had the bottle a while. I've used the Super Sculpt as my setting lotion/gel forever and love it. Redken claims to not test on animals and I've used their Quick Dry (#18) with good result.

Thank you, kamikat!

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I still use Aquanet. I've tried other hairsprays, but the only ones I tend to like are the heinously expensive ones, and I usually can't afford them. So Aquanet is my cheap winner. It holds and doesn't flake on me. So I like it. :)

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I also us Aquanet. The one in the purple bottle. I love it and have been using it forever.

I tried others and I always got flakes. Aquanet doesn't do that to me.

It holds all my curls into place no matter how hard the wind blows. And it keeps all my little baby hairs around my face...well...out of my face. lol

Plus, I've heard Marilyn Monroe used it. So, if she used it it's good enough for me.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
GlamourDoll said:
I also us Aquanet. The one in the purple bottle. I love it and have been using it forever.

I tried others and I always got flakes. Aquanet doesn't do that to me.

It holds all my curls into place no matter how hard the wind blows. And it keeps all my little baby hairs around my face...well...out of my face. lol

Plus, I've heard Marilyn Monroe used it. So, if she used it it's good enough for me.

Same here! I've never found another one that holds quite so good and doesn't flake. I remember the old, old cans my grandmother had when I was a kid.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Coming in late on this one (bump, anyone?) :) but I wanted to chime in with my current favorite pick-- Tresemme Tres Two. My grandmother turned me onto this one. I like the hold, the scent, and the price! Hairspray is a miracle for me right now because I am trying to grow out my bangs...

zombi

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
I use Big Sexy Hair's Spray and Play Harder. I have tried many brands, on myself and clients, and Spray and Play Harder is the firmest hold I've ever seen. It works as good as Sebastian Shaper before they changed the formula.
11NWW0YNWNL._SL500_AA168_.jpg
I use this, too!

In my goth days, though, I totally used Aquanet. Lots of.

Snookie

Practically Family
My baby-fine hair does *not* like to hold a curl for long, so I use BedHead Hard Head Hairspray for vintage styles. It's hard as heck and not remotely brushable, so keep that in mind if you want to get a couple days out of your style. But I've tried a bunch and it's the only hairspray that holds for me in any humid condition.

I'm not too happy with my daily hairspray, so I think I'll pick up some Elnett when I go to Target tomorrow - thanks to everyone for posting their suggestions!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
European Elnett hands down. (The US version is different somehow). I remember reading an article about a year ago in Vogue about a famous hairdresser who does hair for all the major fashion shows and how a few years back he horded a bunch of European Elnett and was detained at the airport because they thought he was using it to make a bomb or something of the sort. He spoke about how it was an industry secret and how he can't find anything that compares.

My friend brings me a can every now and again when she travels to Europe and I use that for my set kit when I am on shoots, not on myself. But when it runs out I go back to my Sebastian Shaper Plus for the hold then spritz Sally Beauty brand "Ion" over it to make it smell nice, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo