Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats your FAVORITE MOVIE Score?

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
im at work right now listening to Hans Zimmer and i just thought of the question?

whats your favorite movie score?

mine would have to be either The Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End or anything John williams

djd

Practically Family
Probably The Sea Hawk by Korngold.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back would be up there too as would the score for Kingdom of Heaven by Gregson-Williams.

Oh, Betnstein's Magnificent Seven is super cool too...

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
honestly never heard that one, ill have to get it off itunes. if youre gonna mention Bernstein you have to mention not only how great Magnificent Seven is, but Also The Great Escape Score is. :eusa_clap

lol, im listening to Kingdom Of Heaven as i write this, thats one of my favorites as well!

keep em coming!

djd

Practically Family
Korngold was one of the greats from the 30s and 40s. Also responsible for the score for the Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood and many others. Max Steiner is my other favourite from that period :)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My favourite score would have to be Maurice Jarre's score to Lawrence of Arabia. I didn't know until recently he is the father of dance/electronic composer Jean Michel Jarre. He scored most (all?) of David Lean's films.

My favourite soundtrack (vice score proper) would have to be from the film "Big Night" by Stanley Tucci and Campbell Scott.

Indy_Rhodes

New in Town
My favourite score would have to be Maurice Jarre's score to Lawrence of Arabia...

I would agree with that...fabulous music. My own choice would go, as composer, to John Barry. His soundtrack to 'Zulu' greatly added to the feeling of menace, whilst his music for 'Out of Africa' is quite simply beautiful, and evocative of the wide, hot plains...

ÉIREGOBRÁCH1922

New in Town

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back would be up there too as would the score for Kingdom of Heaven by Gregson-Williams.

Oh, Betnstein's Magnificent Seven is super cool too...

I agree with you there. The Magnificent Seven is up there up with the best Western and all time movie scores. I think Westerns/Cowboys films have some of the best title scores/theme tunes/soundtracks ever!

Gone with the Wind would also be one of the greatest ever! It brings that movie to life especially in colour.

DNO

One Too Many
The Bridge on the River Kwai...particularly the rendition of the Colonel Bogey March.

It earned an Oscar for Malcolm Arnold.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

Korngold was one of the greats from the 30s and 40s. Also responsible for the score for the Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood and many others.

Korngold is fantastic, and his operatic background and virtuosity as a composer are evident in the depth of his music.

My favourite score would have to be Maurice Jarre's score to Lawrence of Arabia.
This is also one of my all time favorites, as well as being a fantastic film.

I would agree with that...fabulous music. My own choice would go, as composer, to John Barry. His soundtrack to 'Zulu' greatly added to the feeling of menace, whilst his music for 'Out of Africa' is quite simply beautiful, and evocative of the wide, hot plains...
I didn't remember he did that score. I was going to put him in for the Bond films. I just love that style (along with its imitation in The Incredibles).

The Score or Theme Tune from the Western: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly! I am telling you..you cannot beat it!

Ennio Morricone is definitely one of the best, especially for his innovative orchestrations. He is perfectly adept at using traditional orchestras (see The Mission) but he often made such great use of odd instruments (whatever the twanging thing was in all the westerns) and also voice as instrument. Who would have thought that a twangy guitar and a couple yodeling Italians could sound so so manly and evoke the wild west so well.

djd

Practically Family
I suppose the added complication with favourite film music is that some film scores are great - with the film as intended - but not so great to listen to in isolation. For me, thats how I feel about Morricone. I love them in the context of the films but wouldn't want to listen to them as pieces of music. I love John Williams but the atonal nature of some of his music - perfect for the scenes in which it features - grates on my nerves after listening a while! :(

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I suppose the added complication with favourite film music is that some film scores are great - with the film as intended - but not so great to listen to in isolation. For me, thats how I feel about Morricone. I love them in the context of the films but wouldn't want to listen to them as pieces of music. I love John Williams but the atonal nature of some of his music - perfect for the scenes in which it features - grates on my nerves after listening a while! :(

Morricone is one of my favorites to listen to outside of movies. Williams, on the other hand, with the exception of a few themes, I generally cannot tell his scores apart without pictures. They are generally rich and sound beautiful, but don't add anything new too the movie, and so on their own, I tend not to enjoy them.

I somehow forgot to mention my absolute favorite score: Howard Shore's score for Lord of the Rings. The motific complexity (especially his use of leitmotif) is beyond compare this side of Wagner (who he references several times in the music, notably with a direct musical quotation at the end of the credits for Return of the King).

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Korngold was one of the greats from the 30s and 40s. Also responsible for the score for the Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood and many others. Max Steiner is my other favourite from that period :)

Oh, yes: A Summer Place, Rome Adventure. Sigh.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Millers Crossing theme by Carter Burwell. I think the theme was inspired by a traditional tune the Limerick Lament. Similar sound in the first section.

Haunting and beautiful! When ever I'm walking through trees feeling melancholy I think of it.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
A Summer Place 1959 .... and yes we have been through this before .... lol ... don't we know it! every single song (almost) has been posted before! lol

oh dear! :p

[video=youtube;ykpbKOnN93w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpbKOnN93w[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24