Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did Eastman change their Luftwaffe label?

robrinay

One Too Many
I’m trying to work out roughly when my latest jacket was made. It’s got the Ostmann Luftwaffe label, shiny zips, pleated back and brown hide overdyed black. It was a bargain at £150 on greedbay UK

Attachments

• 49DA7F48-1A5C-47C2-AA9E-22899EC1E169.jpeg
    49DA7F48-1A5C-47C2-AA9E-22899EC1E169.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,431
  • E19D62D9-DD8B-46D7-B40E-63B0065C6692.jpeg
    E19D62D9-DD8B-46D7-B40E-63B0065C6692.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 763
  • 30D51571-4D68-4051-9D03-4775E69E57B6.jpeg
    30D51571-4D68-4051-9D03-4775E69E57B6.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 771
  • 8896D91A-42BD-4522-83ED-D53E32B6CDBC.jpeg
    8896D91A-42BD-4522-83ED-D53E32B6CDBC.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 778

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have 2 of these jackets , both 44" , basically exactly the same. You may wonder why ?
The first I bought new in 1990 ,and basically wore it to the destruction of the blue cotton lining.
Had it relined here in Perth Western Australia in the late 90's in black cotton.
AND had a copy/replica made in black goat at the same time..
September 2015 I bought an "almost new" Eastman Luftwaffe again in 44" with blue lining, bought used in the UK.
Advertised on ebay.uk as "barely used" and 3 years old (2012/13). When it arrived it was brand spanking new !
381 pounds sterling delivered airmail to Perth Western Australia at the time.
First two photos are of the 30 year old jacket (but very recent photos). Next two are of the 2012 made jacket.
Both have the "original" Luftwaffe label ( I really like it !)

Eastman Luftwaffe 30 years at Scarbs.jpg

Eastman Luftwaffe 30 years on.jpg

Eastman Luftwaffe at Eden Beach.jpg

Eastman Luftwaffe 3.JPG

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
Thank you for that - I love this jacket and label too. I saw my first about 13 years ago as I started my collection, with a too small Aero A2 I bought from an antique dealer. Her friend had a stall at a local antique fair and was selling a 44” Eastman Luftwaffe for £300 which I thought was a bit too expensive at the time. I’ve regretted not buying it since then and been continually looking for a reasonably priced one by setting up a search on eBay for an ‘Ostmann jacket’ in the hope that the seller wouldn’t know what it was and would list it on a low ‘buy it now’.

willyto

One Too Many
I was lucky enough to buy my WWI German 3/4 black coat from ELC for just 430€ or so from Ebay in France. Basically unworn, it just had a small flaw with the top stitch in one of the seams that joins the shoulder and the arm which was unravelling and was cut.

Not sure it poses a structural damage but I have yet to contact Eastman to see about that. Haven’t worn it yet but it was too good a price to pass.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Fantastic quality jackets and I have a real affinity for them ( even tho' I now own MULTIPLE other brands also quality !)

My 1990 version I bought new while still resident in the UK , bought "mail order" from Devon. ( no 'net back then !)

It became my daily wearer there until emigration to Australia in 1995.

Then wore it here constantly as I rode a Harley as everyday transport for over 15 years. Often proved "too hot".
Hence the Greek leatherworker "exact copy". Company called Sinnikka leather , still operating
260/290 dry days a year here you could do that ! Photos of that jacket attached,

Sinnika Eastman copy 2.jpg

Sinnika Eastman copy 3.jpg

robrinay

One Too Many
I was lucky enough to buy my WWI German 3/4 black coat from ELC for just 430€ or so from Ebay in France. Basically unworn, it just had a small flaw with the top stitch in one of the seams that joins the shoulder and the arm which was unravelling and was cut.

Not sure it poses a structural damage but I have yet to contact Eastman to see about that. Haven’t worn it yet but it was too good a price to pass.
Ah I wondered about the 3/4 coat with this label I found one on eBay - first time I’ve seen one.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
just finished digging thru' the lounge and my own "Your content" page and it seems the "Luftwaffe label" stayed until 2017.

So your jacket is pre 2017 but could be much much older , like my 30 year old version !

What I can tell you is that the original blue lining is wear prone , but of course lots of jackets have that to a greater or lesser extent. I have actually worn the "new" black lining in mine close to threadbare in a couple of spots.

Your ebay buying price seems well priced/ a good buy at 150 Squids sterling.

I did just recently see a scruffity/well worn example on eBay UK , cant see from your photos if it is yours ? Sure does not look like it from what you can see.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
I saw the scruffy one too - It went for more than mine.
The item number for mine was
283878439334 And the pics weren’t too flattering - I don’t think the seller knew what he had. My lining is in good condition and so is the hide with the brown showing through in the right places. I’ve just washed it and it’s now drying in the sun stretched out flat. I’ll give it a Finger application - light coat of Pecard when it’s dry and let the sun melt it in.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
To me they do seem quite "pricey" today. 1,100 British pounds is $2,000 Australian dollars or $1500 USD.

Of course I seem to remember paying 300 quid for my first Eastman Luftwaffe in 1990 so maybe not !

What I do like here in Australia , and before I emigrated from the UK, I was ALWAYS the only one I ever saw.

How is yours performing RobRinay ?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
To me they do seem quite "pricey" today. 1,100 British pounds is $2,000 Australian dollars or $1500 USD.

Of course I seem to remember paying 300 quid for my first Eastman Luftwaffe in 1990 so maybe not !

What I do like here in Australia , and before I emigrated from the UK, I was ALWAYS the only one I ever saw.

How is yours performing RobRinay ?
I think it's cool you actually own 3 black Eastman Luftwaffe jackets. I think it's fair to call you the king of Luftwaffe jackets :p

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Your throughs are intresting to me. History Preservation Associates - who is also a vender on these forums, has it for $1350 USD and to me that is sounding like a pretty fair deal overall. Question about the blue "moleskin" lining - is that rather difficult to put on over a shirt? Does it tend to bunch up? I have just never had a "moleskin" lined jacket. However most of my Aero jackets had moleskin in their pockets.

Any idea where the leather is sourced from, and the apx weigth of your "44" jacket(s)? Thanks for your insights...

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I had an older version for a bit and my $0.02 is the moleskin lining is really very comfortable and the jacket is warmer than you think it should be with zero issues when putting it on, no bunching up. the jacket has a nice heft to it but not super heavy. the leather is not CXL thick/stiff but very adequate.
going through HPA sounds like a good idea, if you need to exchange for size.. I had a 48 which fit pretty true to size

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am 5.11 and 90Kg. Off the rack 44" seems the sweet spot for me. Same jacket as when I was 30 ( now near 62 !)

How’s the jacket weight wise with a re-line? I’ve got the Luftwaffe with blue lining which is so warm it has limited use here in the UK....

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
How’s the jacket weight wise with a re-line? I’ve got the Luftwaffe with blue lining which is so warm it has limited use here in the UK....

I suspect since you are there in the UK you might ask Aero if they would re-line this in Cotton Drill for you, very durable and nicely finished.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana