Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When does the "Golden Era" start and end for you?

rotebander

New in Town
For me, it starts at around 1925 and ends around approximately when the whole late 50s/"Mad Men" style that everyone seems to like these days sets in.

ryanc

Familiar Face
to me. the actual golden era died in late 60s to 70s. look at the values 70 to 80 percent of citizens had. there were actual gentlemen. a handshake ment more to someones conscious than a signature did. Most citizens had values. were brought up to respect. yes its all how you were raised by your parents. We all know there were the exceptional. but not everyone was out to step on the other persons toes all the time. or didnt have respect in elders. Most men of that time were more well spoken than everyday men of now. look at furniture, look at cars. look at houses. Things were made by quality not all about quanity. take a phonogram for instance something that started out as a beutiful record player with a horn, to the popular first boxed in victrola with wounderful fleur craftsman ship. and rich colors of wood. and then as you get into the 50s it gets plain. cars- there was a glamour to the design of vehicles from early years.character. every car had its unique appeal. and we all know how clothing changed. .... people cared about the first impression of how people saw them. for me I hate jeans, I hate t-shirts and i hate flip flops. hahah mtv ruined culture. the beatles ruined men with short respectilble hair style. after all at that time your hairline never could touch your color. take ww2 everyone wanted to be involved for the most part. everyone wanted to play there part. they believed in the war. yes we had an attack on homeground but, everyone wanted to help for the cause. that shows alot. so yes late 70s to me was the end

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
My Golden Era starts around 1900 to about the 1960s, but even that's pushing it. There were some really good things that came out the 1960s, but it was such a violent decade. :(

TCMfan25

Practically Family
1920- 1955

Just after the fall of Frock Coats, Corsets, Uncomfortable Collars, and Ragtime.
During the rise of the Three Piece, Film, Floppy Spear Points, and Swing.
Cautiously before the rise of the Stingy Brim, Skin Tight Suit, and Rock Music.

Last edited:

Warbaby

One Too Many
I define the Golden Era as the period between the wars - 1918-1940. To me, the fifties was the beginning of the consumer era and a general decline in quality and taste in nearly every aspect of our lives.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
For me, the Golden Era (which as we all know was not necessarily so golden for a lot of people who lived through it (but that's another conversation)), starts at 11:12 PM, Nov, 11, 1918, and ends at about 2:30 EST, November 22, 1963.

Well put! For me, the end of WWI until the assassination of JFK/The age of the Hollywood Studio System. Give or take a few years from the latter and it fits into the former.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
For me, the Golden Era (which as we all know was not necessarily so golden for a lot of people who lived through it (but that's another conversation)), starts at 11:12 PM, Nov, 11, 1918, and ends at about 2:30 EST, November 22, 1963.

This.

Personally -- 1927 to 1942. :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I guess it really does depend on how old you are. I'm surprised to read that many here include the early sixties in the Golden Era. I have never thought of the early sixties as being in the Golden Era...probably because I was born in 1955. I've always thought of the Golden Era as being...well...golden. I'm old enough to remember the entire sixties and I don’t recall anything about them being golden.

On the other hand, I obviously don't remember anything about WWII. Because I can't remember how things were during and before WWII, I think of the war years as being the end of the Golden Era. People who remember WWII...and especially those who fought in it...are probably scratching their heads wondering what I think was golden about a world war.

AF

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As I've said before, I set the dates at Nov 12, 1919 (the day after the Great War ended) to Nov 21, 1963 (the day before JFK's assasination). Having been born in 1946, and remembering all of the 50's, not to mention the 60's, I recall being shocked when younger people started describing the 50's as "Fabulous". I remember them as being pretty mundane and dowdy. It's all a question of perception, I guess.
But the reason I slide my bracket up to 1963 is not just because of the cultural and psychological significance of that date. It's because that's about the last gasp of seeing most men wearing fedoras, and men wearing suits and ties to baseball games, etc., etc. I find Mad Men just a little weird to watch, but I accept it as a reasonable depiction of a time when the last gasp of that old fashioned something or other was still dominant in the culture.

DNO

One Too Many
I've always considered 1920 to 1950 to be the "golden era", with a heavy emphasis on the Thirties. I have some difficulty extending the period into the fifties or sixties. I still remember those days...and I feel old enough already without thinking that I actually lived in part of the "Golden Era".

rue

I've always considered 1920 to 1950 to be the "golden era", with a heavy emphasis on the Thirties. I have some difficulty extending the period into the fifties or sixties. I still remember those days...and I feel old enough already without thinking that I actually lived in part of the "Golden Era".

Maybe some feel that way, because people who lived through the Golden Era were still alive. I know for me it was alive when I would visit my grandparents. Now that they're gone, the era is gone too.

DNO

One Too Many
I still remember when fedoras were common. It's really the childhood memory of my father's fedora that has drawn me into the vintage hat world. My parents are deceased but I remember my mother's stories of driving around in a friend's Deusenberg and of having a flight in an open cockpit biplane. My father's first car was a Hupmobile for which he paid $15 and had to push home. When I was young, all of the men that I knew had served in the second world war...my father, all of my uncles, all of my friends' fathers... That period is still alive in my memory but I can certainly see it fading in the minds of younger people. Heck...so many people today refuse to even watch a black and white movie! (Must stop...starting to rant)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner