Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to Wear a Beaded Cap

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a brimless cap. It's pink wool with a small amount of beading on top and at the edge. The beading is gray and forms two stylized leaves. What would be a good occasion to wear this? When would it have been worn when it was new? Evening only, or nice daytime occasion?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's wool, it sounds like a hat you would wear with a dressy suit in the afternoon or for cocktails. 40s or 50s most likely, but hard to tell without seeing it.

In the 30s, there were vogues for beaded Juliet caps, but they are generally on rather flimsy material like net, and usually worn with dinner dresses or suits (meaning, a long dress, with long sleeves, ar a dress with a long sleeved jacket over it).

Unless of course you just had brain surgery like Bette Davis in Dark Victory... in which case you wear a silly little hat on the back of your head all the time.

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
I'm trying to imagine the hat.
From what i *think* it is, it sounds like something you would wear with a nice coat (not a puffy shiny parka).
It would also depend on what you wear during the daytime. The office I work at is not at all casual, almost to the point where I feel too out of place at class before work.
But then again, I have a friend (who is also a law clerk, go figure) who can wear jeans and a flannel shirt to his office.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your suggestions--they all sound about right.

On cloudy days, I may wear it with my
  • navy coat dress
  • colorful geometric cotton sweater
  • blue and white outfits
  • gray and black outfits
I promise not to wear it with my parka or chukka boots.

I'll get more of these hats if I ever have brain surgery at the back of my head.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The Hat

IMG_2488.jpg

Lorena B

Practically Family
Lovely hat!!,

I think it would also look nice wearing it with a navy blue jacket with a nice pinkish brooch in the upper side of the chest for some nice contrast/ matching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner