Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When vintage becomes ' fashion' ..

BoPeep

Practically Family
Like Lizzie, I'm the only vintage girl in a small town and believe me, a Rosie bandanna stands out! I wasn't bothered to see Gwen Stefani and other celebs sport the look, but it didn't seem to filter down to the masses, and the celebs have since moved on to a different look. Pencil skirts will always be available, and everyone will always admire Marilyn's sultry curls. But as KittyT said, pay attention to the details and you've got a classic look that will be recognizable regardless of trends.

Marla

A-List Customer
As I see it, true vintage will never actually be fashionable. The mainstream's idea of what vintage fashion is is misguided, and seeing looks like this labeled 'vintage' and '1940s' is amusing, not threatening.

Exhibit A:
Urban Outfitter's "Vintage":
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...rue&navCount=0&pushId=WOMENS&id=W_APP_RENEWAL

Exhibit B:
Vogue Editorial, September 2009
4526829952_6340e51fb5_o.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Very true, Marla. Authentic head to toe vintage is still very costumey to the majority of mainstream fashion followers.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Again???

This happens every 5 or 6 years, when once again, fashion looks back as there are no new ideas, and we hear gnashing of teeth and much moaning, then fashion tries something else and we all forget about it until the next time.

You youngsters might not have experienced the cycle much, but I remember "Nostalgia" back in 1973. And 80. And 87. And 93, etc.

Forget about it! Grab the decent repros while they are there in your size and enjoy the anonymity, until the trend reverses again and you can look "different" again.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
Very true, Marla. Authentic head to toe vintage is still very costumey to the majority of mainstream fashion followers.

Exactly. My younger, fashion-obsessed sister, who has always teased me for my vintage obsession, is now asking me for advice about vintage clothing stores. However, she has no desire to actually look she walked out of another time; she wants to incorporate one vintage (or vintage-inspired) piece into an otherwise modern look. She still gives me weird looks every time I mention things like setting my hair or full-fashioned stockings.

I don't think I've ever really cared about what's "in"; I'm convinced that the arbiters of fashion are laughing the whole time they write those in and out lists, since they seem to go back and forth every season. I could never keep track of how many times they've declared leopard print (which I have loved for years) is either the hottest thing around or something you should never leave the house in!

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
I constantly have people "stare" at me...sometimes I get compliments, especially because of my cat eye glasses...but most of the time it's because I'm not dressed in frumpy, or in a tube top with lo-rise jeans...I'm usually in a vintage dress or pencil skirts....it's strange to me that people are so use to seeing girls not dress up anymore that it would make a girl in a nice outfit stand out. A lot of people do think that my clothes look "costume-ish" and I think thats why they "stare" sometimes too.

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
Again???

This happens every 5 or 6 years, when once again, fashion looks back as there are no new ideas, and we hear gnashing of teeth and much moaning, then fashion tries something else and we all forget about it until the next time.

You youngsters might not have experienced the cycle much, but I remember "Nostalgia" back in 1973. And 80. And 87. And 93, etc.

Forget about it! Grab the decent repros while they are there in your size and enjoy the anonymity, until the trend reverses again and you can look "different" again.

I really enjoy when this happens, you can usually find a lot of almost authentic looking pieces out there and mix them with your real vintage...after the trends fade most people think your whole outfit is authentic! I wouldn't call Urban Outfitters vintage though...that's hipster central and their clothes only fits extremely skinny, curveless girls. I'm a pretty slender girl...but even I can't manage to decently fit in that stuff...I once tried on a pair of high waisted, cropped jeans...let's just say I looked ridiculous.

Lillemor

One Too Many
While it might initially make it easy to make some cheap updates to my own wardrobe I absolutely hate it in a really childdish way. I don't want to share something that I feel passionately about with people who wonder if I haven't realized that retro style is out of fashion again when the trend ends. However, I regret that I can't afford new glasses now that there are so many cat eyes styles around. Okay, it's envy/jealousy. A lot of young, singles can afford retro styles that are readily available now that I can only look longingly after and try to comfort myself in the few authentic vintage pieces I own. Especially my home knit pieces which I know are one-of-a-kind.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Again???

Yup! ^ This!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot