Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When vintage becomes ' fashion' ..

shoeshopper

New in Town
Feel a bit nervous as this is my first post but feel as if I know everyone with the amount of reading ive been doing on here over the last few months!!

Im not sure if this has been discussed but as I couldnt find anything so thought id take the plunge!

I was wondering how people feel when vintage styles become popular, VERY popular on the high street?

I was watching morning trash the other day whilst having my breakfast and they said the biggest look this season on the catwalks is the 1940's glamour look. I dribbled my porridge all down myself.

I may be a bit like a protective mother but i bloody hate it!! I used to search high and low for floral day dresses and flowers for my hair, now they are literally everywhere and everyone is wearing them! Red lipstick on every other advert etc..
Years ago I used to live in my high waisted trousers and there was a phase when they became popular, I continued to 'ride the fashion wave' and wear them through, a few months after they left Topshop, someone said to me that I was 'so last season' !! EXCUSE ET MOI?? I could have cried.

I suppose our hair is our saving grace, although how long is that going to last before Victoria Beckham is wearing victory rolls and that filters through to the millions!

Anyway i may be rambling now but just wondered how others felt about this?

Thanks for reading. Rant over :)
xx

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
As you noted, fashion ebbs and flows, and when it's not fashionable anymore, then we will keep on wearing it and looking nicer than everyone else! Also, it's important to note that the devil is in the details, and those of us who like vintage pay attention to the entire look - the foundations, the accessories, handbag, hair, etc.

So really, who cares? For me, vintage isn't about being "in" or being special or exclusive, it's just about wearing what I love and what looks best on me! And it will always look better on us because we tend to have vintage figures unlike the high fashion models of today, and we also know how to sport the entire look.

Besides, when it's "in" that means there are more affordable repros on the market :)

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I've noticed, from reading blogs from folks in the UK, that vintage seems to be much more popular there right now than in the US. I WISH it were more popular here! I wouldn't have a problem with it becoming mainstream because it would expose the younger generation to a much prettier and classier fashion option than whatever is currently popular.

It seemed for a short while that there was hope, when celebrities like Gwen Stefani and Katie Perry were wearing more vintage inspired makeup and hairstyles, that the trend would catch on with the masses. Also, a few years ago there seemed to be an influx of 30's-inspired clothing on the market. Sadly, it was all very short-lived.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
As you noted, fashion ebbs and flows, and when it's not fashionable anymore, then we will keep on wearing it and looking nicer than everyone else! Also, it's important to note that the devil is in the details, and those of us who like vintage pay attention to the entire look - the foundations, the accessories, handbag, hair, etc.

So really, who cares? For me, vintage isn't about being "in" or being special or exclusive, it's just about wearing what I love and what looks best on me! And it will always look better on us because we tend to have vintage figures unlike the high fashion models of today, and we also know how to sport the entire look.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I could care less about what is "in" -- even if full-on 1930s attire and fingerwaves were all the rage "this season." I will continue to wear it long after the "season" is over.

I'm ok with it going mainstream. I know a lot of people who've been sucked into the vintage culture/lifestyle because of the 1998 mainstream swing dancing trend. We might gain some members!!

December

One of the Regulars
It doesn't bother me at all. I don't mind either way. As Kitty said, I don't dress this way to be different. I dress this way because I like it. I don't care if other people do too. Neither do I care if I look "last season" when they're no longer in fashion.

The only reason I may rather it didn't get more mainstream is because that tends to drive the prices up. Supply and demand, and all that.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm with the other gals. Vintage has been pretty popular for the last six or so years, and has been featured in magazines as such for as long if not longer. No biggie. It's really no different than swing culture being all the rage in the 1990s- the stuff is in demand. Don't worry- the stuff will still be around and it will still pass hands. The fashionista who bought it to wear last year will probably just resell it in a few more and it will go back into the vintage pool.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
It has it's pros and cons, I think. The stuff becomes more popular so people are looking it out and getting it on the market. Prices can rise but then I suppose it usually goes back onto Ebay or so in a while.

What bothers me is that people buy stuff and trash it so it's lost forever. Not everyone cares for their stuff as well as we might like.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm a tad surprised that everyone is saying they don't dress this way "to be different." It's not the only reason I do it but its certainly an aspect of it that I enjoy. I'm especially surprised as, from previous threads, I gleaned that a lot of us have come from the goth scene and other alternative groups and therefore I always assumed that the looking different was a part of the whole attraction.

Maybe I'm the only vain one! Haha!

So the answer is YES, it does irritate me that every other girl in London is currently sporting a Rosie bandana and red lipstick. Maybe thats why i'm moving to a more formal look, suits and hats ahd gloves etc.

Though sometimes the most irritating thing is that the high street does its repros so badly that I can't stock up on cheap basics because necklines are too low, skirts too short and heels the wrong shape.

lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
I'm a tad surprised that everyone is saying they don't dress this way "to be different."

I do!! I can't stand looking like everyone else. lol. That's not the only reason, as you said, but I've always liked to go against the masses ever since I was a child.

Also, I live in Killadelphia so I really doubt I'll ever have to worry about walking down Market Street and seeing hundreds of vintage clones. We ain't so fashionable here lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I got most of my desire to look completely different out of my system during my many years in the goth scene. While I do enjoy distinguishing myself by my appearance, in my apathetic old age, I'm just past being able to care about it *that* much! lol

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
There's an element of both for me, although I dress the way I do just because I love it. It's hard to distinguish yourself in Los Angeles, when every gal you know has that "LA look" and dresses the same (it's almost eerie when you notice it). And, well, I like to feel classy, which is hard to do in a miniskirt :D

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
Miss Sis - I know what you mean. I try and get use out of everything I have, and if I can't use it I get it to someone who can. But the tendency nowadays is to make garments that no longer stand the test of time but only last for a season and then can be thrown out.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I dress vintage because I feel most comfortable and attractive that way. It makes me feel happy1 I really don't care if its in fashion or not. The big advantage is with the 40's being "in" right now I have managed to get some really great 40's looking clothes on my tight budget. I have wanted a vintage 40's winter coat for ages and have been unable to find one in my budget. Imagine my surprise when i found the coat of my dreams at Target and under $60. I must admit I was puzzled why I was finding so many great things I liked in the stores until I had picked up a magazine and saw an article on the 40's being one of the looks this season. Then the penny dropped. Well, I plan to take full advantage and bulk out my wardrobe. Being 5ft 10 with larger feet sometimes getting genuine vintage clothes and shoes can be a challenge, so the repro clothes help bulk out my wardrobe nicely. I also think you will find that the people that will be wearing the "trendy 40's" probably won't have the hairstyles or make up correct so that will defiantely make the look less effective. As KittyT rightly said the devils in the details!

shoeshopper

New in Town
Smuterella said:
I'm a tad surprised that everyone is saying they don't dress this way "to be different." It's not the only reason I do it but its certainly an aspect of it that I enjoy. I'm especially surprised as, from previous threads, I gleaned that a lot of us have come from the goth scene and other alternative groups and therefore I always assumed that the looking different was a part of the whole attraction.

So the answer is YES, it does irritate me that every other girl in London is currently sporting a Rosie bandana and red lipstick. Maybe thats why i'm moving to a more formal look, suits and hats ahd gloves etc.

Though sometimes the most irritating thing is that the high street does its repros so badly that I can't stock up on cheap basics because necklines are too low, skirts too short and heels the wrong shape.

lol

Thank god! i thought id offended everyone with my opinion of not liking it!
Im 100% the same. I cant stand blending in being a random face in the crowd, I like to try to be THE face in the crowd :)

shoeshopper

New in Town
Lindabelle said:
I also think you will find that the people that will be wearing the "trendy 40's" probably won't have the hairstyles or make up correct so that will defiantely make the look less effective. As KittyT rightly said the devils in the details!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
shoeshopper said:
Thank god! i thought id offended everyone with my opinion of not liking it!
Im 100% the same. I cant stand blending in being a random face in the crowd, I like to try to be THE face in the crowd :)

lol If anyone was offended by what you said they need to get a life.

Anyway -- I like being THE face, too, but I also don't feel I'm in some "exclusive" group or anything. I don't want that at all, but unfortunately most people read me that way.

As for celebs -- bleh. I know NOTHING about modern celebrites because I pretty much hate them so I don't pay attention to them. I wouldn't even know if vintage became popular, but I don't care if people wear it in the street. Like I said -- I live in Philly and there are no chances of vintage being popular here!!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Being the only vintage gal in a small town has its advantages -- if the trend ever reaches up here, it's pretty much guaranteed that anyone who adopts it will get "Hey, you look just like that woman from the movie theatre! What's playing this week?" Free advertising is always a good thing.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The fashion of vintage inspired looks doesn't bother me at all. Everybody looks quite a bit better than they did five or ten years ago: haystack hair and ill-fitting black clothes finally seem to be on their way out.

Most vintage doesn't fit me, and I don't sew, so the trend makes it easy for me to find VI clothes.

While I don't like to look like a clone, I don't like to attract undue attention, either. With vintage looks out there, I feel like I can be a little different, but in harmony instead of discord.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Smuterella said:

lol

I so agree that the high street repros or takes on vintage, whilst they may look cute on the hanger, tend to look appalling on because of poor construction and cheap manufacture. I did manage to find a couple of cute, reasonably fitting cardigans at Joy today, so every once in a while...

Personally, I don't want to dress like 97% of people I see, if only for the reason that I can't bear bagginess, sloppiness, or on the other hand, too much flesh on show. I don't particularly enjoy standing out, but if I do, such is life.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
To be honest I'm quite annoyed in some instances and neutral in others.

As with every new trend, you will have the extremists who will tell you that what YOU'RE wearing is wrong and what THEY'RE wearing is right but they couldn't tell you anything historically about their attire and when you have something to tell them you're boring and pedantic.

The thing is about the clothes on the high street now - almost EVERYTHING with the slightest classical flair is labelled "vintage". Mostly you can look at it and know instantly that such an item had no place in the past.

The annoying thing is that it's misguiding people on what can be actually considered vintage. When you do come across a dress that could actually fit in with a particular fashion of the past it is often labelled "Granny-chic" or some other terrible name.

On the other hand, I always used to just stick to certain eras because it was easier to find flattering clothes from certain times. The high street reproductions (while often very unflattering and completely wrong) can help you to merge into other eras if you have a difficult body shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot