Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When you're not dressed vintage...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Wokka-chikka-wokka-chikka-BOWWOW...

aj_funky.jpg

aj_funky_02.jpg

10.jpg

Muahahahahhahahaaaaa!

My closet is no longer home to those clothes. I had fun with 'em, though.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Those are great pictures! Especially the first one! LOL!

There are some wretched things in my closet that stay there simply because they're fun. And if we had a prize for the ugliest outfit in our closets... I probably could contribute a few. Of course over half my closet is the good vintage stuff these days :)

Wait, why am I telling you guys this? Am I trying to dig myself a deeper hole? ;)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...and you've played right into my trap. Start digging!

(and Bob, the hair is actually a rabbit fur Soviet ushanka, tilted backward.)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Being a bit older I'm not looking back through rose-colored glasses. The 70s of my youth were a mess to be sure, but the 80s that I came of age in had me perpetually retching. Those primetime soaps were the zeitgeist all right: just seeing that picture from Dynasty has me reaching for the Tums. And what was particularly nauseous about the preppy look was that it inherently stunk of the same 80s greed. You can't have style without soul, no matter how much you spend. If all this comes across as my hating the rich, it's only because I've made it my life's work.
I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m with you on this Jack! One of the grossest features of the gross 1980s was the crude pastiche of ?¢‚Ǩ?ìtraditional?¢‚Ǩ? styles favoured by the era?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s nouveau riche ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú caricatures of classic styles from the mid 20th century badly made from cheap materials, sold at high prices, and worn as a uniform without any sense of individuality and without an ounce of taste. Dynasty!! Yuk!

P.S. A Wedding Present fan eh? I didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t expect anyone in the US to have heard of them. I was playing music around Leeds in the 1980s myself?¢‚Ǩ¬¶that was a great scene, not everything about the 80s was bad. Actually I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve enjoyed every decade I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve lived through, the secret is to meet like minded individuals and go your own way.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Joke's on me?

Wait till you see me, I'm a hideous freak.

I was at a clients place the other day and was invited into the garage. I was shown an early 70's, mint Olds 443 convertable, that would take your breath away.

I need to find me a 'Blues Brothers' car.

Senator Jack said:
Being a bit older I'm not looking back through rose-colored glasses. The 70s of my youth were a mess to be sure, but the 80s that I came of age in had me perpetually retching. Those primetime soaps were the zeitgeist all right: just seeing that picture from Dynasty has me reaching for the Tums. And what was particularly nauseous about the preppy look was that it inherently stunk of the same 80s greed. You can't have style without soul, no matter how much you spend. If all this comes across as my hating the rich, it's only because I've made it my life's work.

Geez, I hear therapy works wonders. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Geez, I hear therapy works wonders

Yes, that could be said for the top 5% of America that has some strange need to possess everything while there are senior citizens who can't put a roof over their heads or even afford medication.

I'm not against anyone turning a buck but greed is unjustafiable. Now, anyone care to argue that?

Always fighting for the rights of the common man,

Senator Jack

Senator Jack said:
Yes, that could be said for the top 5% of America that has some strange need to possess everything while there are senior citizens who can't put a roof over their heads or even afford medication.

I'm not against anyone turning a buck but greed is unjustafiable. Now, anyone care to argue that?

Always fighting for the rights of the common man,

I am not even going to get into that aside from pointing out that all we have as Americans was put together under a capitalist society. That top 5% pays a disproportionate part of the income tax in this country to help those senior citizens afford medication and put a roof over their heads. When 5% pay 40% then they are giving something. They also provide jobs, products and opportunities for hundreds of thousands of people to make a living on top of that. All of this because they are "greedy."
Always fighting to preserve what makes america great.

Regards to all,

J

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
For my day job as a tattoo artist, my standard work attire is Dickies work trousers (usually khaki, but I have a pair in just about every color they make), black Chuck Taylors, and usually a tattoo-related t-shirt (I collect them from tattoo shops and artists all over the country) or sometimes when I want to dress up a little I'll wear a bowling-style smock/shirt and a pair of Sha-Sha shoes. The look is somewhat retro (50s or 60s) yet practical and comfortable enough for every day.

My "weekend" attire is strictly for maximum comfort: usually Levi's or LL bean jeans, a plain solid-color t-shirt (I prefer weekend clothes sans logos or advertisements), and my faithful Chuck Ts. On the rare occasion I'll even don a pair of Dickies overalls - hey, I do live in Alabama after all.

-Matt Crunk

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Sure, I'll help get it back on topic...:rolleyes:

I tend to work in jeans. I'm lucky. Levi 501's, button-down Eddie Bauer shirts, and Rockports or Redwings. My Wested if I can get away with it, and during the winter I find a reason to wear my Steve Delk Adventurebilt whenever I can...gosh, it might rain next week! Better wear my hat today! ;)

Since it's So Cal, the most I tend to dress up is khakis, but my roots are East Coast - so I still love wearing a suit and tie when I can. ;) (I got caught in a surprise rain last October, and honestly ended up having to throw my Wested on OVER my nice charcoal business suit & tie on my way into a conference. Now THAT was a look. :cool: )

Tan or dark green chinos with golf shirts, jeans either blue or black with short sleeved safai shirts of various colors from Cabelas. Either black or white New Balance sneakers that come in wide. I also have a pair of black combat boots that were winners of one of the walk offs and the desert tan suede boots. During the summer when it is hot i like hiking shorts, teva sandels and a variety of tshirts or golf shirts occasionally the safari shirts which comes out the a crocadile hunter outfit then. If I can continue to lose weight I will be able to get back into some cool Hawiian shirts. ANd matbe my DB tux with peak lapels!

regards to all,

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I don't really own any clothing which is not "vintage" styled anymore. The only difference is how dressed-up I choose to be.

My usual daily outfit during the winter for instance is penny loafers, classic-styled chinos, a button-down shirt and tie, sweater vest and a tweed 8-panel cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael