Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the hat obsessed ladies?

Wednesdayschild

New in Town
I’ve been a member here for almost a year, introduced by a member to whom I sold a vintage Stetson. A ““HAT” forum!? Where people talk about hats! I was intrigued.
It’s been almost a year, and although I’ve been tempted to post, I’ve held back because I’ve only observed dudes joining the commentary. Well, I’ve built up my confidence, so I’m jumping in.
I have worn hats since birth. My grandmother had a milliner who even traveled with her, and so she had a hat for every occasion. She was my mentor.
When I retired from stage work(set painting) I started fiddling around with making hat bands for a few of my hats, from canvas..then I watched someone burn a hat on YouTube. I was mesmerized. I burned my old top hat to within an inch of its life, added a new band and a leather piece on which I etched, “Strange Days Have Found Us,” a reference to a Doors song. (Photo attached)
To be continued…
36804bd2-d122-4d1c-9638-66eba53678b0.jpeg
0F0586DB-6F47-4DF6-99A5-36011665C4FD.jpeg

Mighty44

One Too Many
I’ve been a member here for almost a year, introduced by a member to whom I sold a vintage Stetson. A ““HAT” forum!? Where people talk about hats! I was intrigued.
It’s been almost a year, and although I’ve been tempted to post, I’ve held back because I’ve only observed dudes joining the commentary. Well, I’ve built up my confidence, so I’m jumping in.
I have worn hats since birth. My grandmother had a milliner who even traveled with her, and so she had a hat for every occasion. She was my mentor.
When I retired from stage work(set painting) I started fiddling around with making hat bands for a few of my hats, from canvas..then I watched someone burn a hat on YouTube. I was mesmerized. I burned my old top hat to within an inch of its life, added a new band and a leather piece on which I etched, “Strange Days Have Found Us,” a reference to a Doors song. (Photo attached)
To be continued… View attachment 517416 View attachment 517427
Welcome to the forum—look forward to hearing more. And nice hat—I can definitely imagine Jim Morrison strutting around in such a creation. ;)

wsmontana

A-List Customer
To be continued… View attachment 517416 View attachment 517427
Welcome! Love your creativity— can’t wait to see more!
Bill

Wednesdayschild

New in Town
In the beginning (almost 3 years ago) I practiced on cheap wool hats that I bought on Mercari or Poshmark. I honestly didn’t know what a fur felt hat felt like until I bought an old beige hat that was rode hard and put away wet. I liked that it was already distressed, complete with hole at the ridge of the crown. When I got my hands on it, I knew there was a difference between this and those cheap department store felt hats. The felt was so smooth, and compact, yet light and comfortable to wear.
I’ll attach the before and after although the difference is not dramatic.
IMG_7219.jpeg

IMG_7218.jpeg
IMG_7217.jpeg
IMG_7216.jpeg

Wednesdayschild

New in Town
Here are some before and after photos. This one was bought at a thrift store for about $2. It was by a designer (Linda something) and it looked like a really bad “Opening Day at the races” hat. It was totally rigid straw with purple silk flowers. I used steam to reshape it. Next I painted it…much like I would dirty up a stage set in my former job as a set painter. I aged it and added a Hartebeest band.
59B6EAF8-7D5B-4F0A-B0F7-BD48E7B1F1A02021-11-15_12-48-58_000.jpg
IMG_1053.jpeg
4CE1BE85-252B-4102-9153-0C964FC0155E2021-11-15_12-49-12_000.jpg

C4F8E73E-8B9C-44FD-8421-0CF231816D912021-11-15_12-29-53_000.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21