Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where Did That Leather on My Back Come From?

There's another aspect to all this. Purchasing used leather jackets is a great way to model for our youth the importance of "recycling." I'm realistic. Buying certain used things is not practical. Lots of folks, myself included, don't want to buy a used appliance, especially with the garbage out there today. And buying a used diamond ring for your fiancee is probably not a smart move.

Leather jackets provide us a great opportunity to demonstrate to kids that buying new is not always necessary and if you take care of it it can last a long time. There are a limited amount of things one can buy used and make an argument that it is better used than new. Leather jackets are one of them. And hey, nothing wrong with buying a new jacket once in a while.
I agree but I’ll also concede the fit and condition will frighten off most folks from searching for vintage pieces. I hereby change my username to: Captain Sustainable. LOL. I wish I could say that sustainability was my motive. I like these vintage jackets b/c they give me a feeling a custom repro never has. And never will! No judgement. I have purchased many, many new jackets. Just something extra in the old ones and I like breathing new life into them. Truthfully, after the repair costs are tallied, it can be a bit of a leather jacket money pit. Nevertheless…
CCCE6B3F-3EB0-4D9E-8D44-9270038A4B82.jpeg
23F5C871-6967-417E-BE4D-5B385BE96EE0.jpeg
95804629-ECD1-47A1-AF79-1D131D4820CA.jpeg

Coriu

One Too Many
I agree but I’ll also concede the fit and condition will frighten off most folks from searching for vintage pieces. I hereby change my username to: Captain Sustainable. LOL. I wish I could say that sustainability was my motive. I like these vintage jackets b/c they give me a feeling a custom repro never has. And never will! No judgement. I have purchased many, many new jackets. Just something extra in the old ones and I like breathing new life into them. Truthfully, after the repair costs are tallied, it can be a bit of a leather jacket money pit. Nevertheless…
View attachment 351137 View attachment 351138 View attachment 351139

Those photos are pretty convincing! I really like the look...simple t-shirt and jeans. For me, that is the best look for an older leather jacket, regardless of one's age....old school cool.

It's nearly impossible for me to find stuff 50+ years old that will fit me, but I find ample jackets in the 10-30 year-old range. Not sure what the "official" definition of vintage is LOL

It's all about exploring, isn't it. Sustainability wasn't my main driver either. Things kinda worked out nicely. As I got older, this strange thing came over me about buying used stuff and reconditioning. You would not have caught me dead in a used piece of clothing when I was younger.

Last edited:
Those photos are pretty convincing! I really like the look...simple t-shirt and jeans. For me, that is the best look for an older leather jacket, regardless of one's age....old school cool.

It's nearly impossible for me to find stuff 50+ years old that will fit me, but I find ample jackets in the 10-30 year-old range. Not sure what the "official" definition of vintage is LOL

It's all about exploring, isn't it. Sustainability wasn't my main driver either. Things kinda worked out nicely. As I got older, this strange thing came over me about buying used stuff and reconditioning. You would not have caught me dead in a used piece of clothing when I was younger.
I was a thrift store, army surplus junkie since high school. During my college years I bought a ton of vintage wool jackets, loud plaid shirts and disco leather jackets from thrift stores around campus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112