Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where...how?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, I personally only have 10 or so, so I am able to keep them all on the upper shelves in our closet. If I had as many as some of these guys, I would guess that I'd need a large shelving unit in a spare bedroom.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well I have a spare bedroom

And in the corner is 14 boxes, then the 12 on top of the book case, and the 6 on the floor in front of the bookcase. Then there are 5 on the small desk below the window that aren't in boxes, then there are usually 1 0r 2 on the floor upside down in the brim flange. Then the expensive straws are on the top shelf of the closet, which is about 8 hats. The rest are on the hat rack in the living room (everyday wear) and that is about 3 or 4. Then there are some in some stage of barter or renovation at Art's shop. The balance are out in the garage, where there is room for maybe 80 or so above the garage door on the built in shelving. (NO there are not 80..just room for them).

I invision myself in my older years as the person who never throws away anything and there are little paths that lead from room to room thruout the house! Only my mess will be hats!

Time to go see Dr. Phil?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm looking up Dr. Phil's number right now Andy...
Mine are in boxes in my closet, my other closet, my garage, my store, the attic of my store, never seems to end eh?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by Canadave
All you 40-50 hats guys...

i.
...where/how do you keep them?

David

Did you see the post in this forum earlier on Art's vault and his shop? Now there's 5000 square feet of hat storage. Art has the largest collection: well over 600 hats!

Of course, they are all (mostly) for sale!

Art can find or has the ideal fedora for you.
AND you don't take the "Ebay Risk" of having some moth eaten, torn, stained lining hat arrive at the doorstep.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Re: Where...how?

Originally posted by Andykev
I invision myself in my older years as the person who never throws away anything and there are little paths that lead from room to room thruout the house!

...and of course, you'll be single, right? :D

...Art can find or has the ideal fedora for you...

Well, with a 7 7/8 noggin, it's not that easy, but he is working on it! :)

David

havershaw

Practically Family
I probably store mine in a lame way...and I'm thinking I probably have to do something about it. I have two hat racks, both of which hold 8 hats a piece. Then I have the closet in the office, which has a big old tube record player/radio in it, on which sits all of my hat blocks and brim flanges, as well as five or six more hats. The closet in my bedroom has six or seven more hats in it, as well as all of my hatboxes, which have a bunch more hats in them.

I probably shouldn't keep sixteen of my hats just hanging on the hat rack out in the open...if you need to know anything about Arizona, know that it's dusty. We also have cats, who never go anywhere near my hats (they know better, apparently), but there's cat hair in the air from time to time, which finds it way to my hats.

The only reason I don't put 'em all in boxes is that I wear a different hat every day...and the ones which I do keep in boxes get the least wear (mainly 'cause I forget I have them). But some of my hats are getting pretty dusty. I think I'm going to have a few cleaned and then keep them in boxes permanently.

But I do like looking over at the hatrack and seeing all those hats...reminds me why I'm eating Ramen for dinner.
f903ea2b.jpg

f8f815f4.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Jack, if the shelves are wood or flat surface, then yes. But if you replace the flat shelve with 2 curtain rods you then have only two points of contact with the hat, supporting it. This is the way I have over 100 hats displayed with no problems.

Art

Re: Re: Where...how?

Did you see the post in this forum earlier on Art's vault and his shop? Now there's 5000 square feet of hat storage. Art has the largest collection: well over 600 hats!

Of course, they are all (mostly) for sale!

Art can find or has the ideal fedora for you.
AND you don't take the "Ebay Risk" of having some moth eaten, torn, stained lining hat arrive at the doorstep.

Hey, Hey! Easy on the moth eaten. I resemble that remark. LOL
Boxes of hats arranged in aisles, never throwing anything out---all you need is a few dozen hats and you too can be called eccentric. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael