Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is the "gorge" on a jacket?

Where is the "gorge" on a jacket?

• Total voters

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Vintage lover said:
I was taught red, but as I can see, I have been led astray, CURSES!:eusa_doh:
You're not alone. A full 1/3 of the respondents were also misinformed.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
I just hit black without thinking. Shows what I know. Interesting. Gorge means "throat" in French, so it makes sense.

Precisely why I believe this is a confusing topic to begin with. I understood gorge to be throat, too, until reading about this topic through threads on the lounge.

Hey, at least this might get me some drinks at a bar (although, it would likely be challenging to find anyone willing to bet about tailoring terminology ;) ).

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
4923689436_0df203ea3f_m.jpg

"Im also, rather confused!"

Everybody knows for absolute certainty where the gorge is: The seam joining the lapel and collar if you're being pedantic (second pic), the general area around the seam/notch if you're not (first pic).

The point Tomasso is trying to make is that it is absolutely, certainly, beyond the strongest shadow of a weak doubt NOT the "V" area dictated by button stance. Whew.

Warbaby said:
Ha! I suspected it all along - no one really knows for sure where the gorge is.

David V

A-List Customer
Tailor Tom said:
This is totally wrong.

One can pattern a low gorge with a higher V and also do the reverse (high gorge with a low V) it is all a matter of patterning. and what styles currently are and what the customer wants.

in the end, its just math, formulas, and pencil drawing converted into clothing.

What about balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy