Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get Double edge Razor?

babs

A-List Customer
Can't be any worse than when I got a bit close to the top edge of my ear with the head-blade. My wife wanted me to get stitches. hehehehe :) Nah! Just a band-aid, but man if you've ever nicked your ear, you'll know how there must be a major blood supply there.. Bled like a stuck pig.

But yeah, if I can learn to shave my noggin with the Atra III loaded headblade, I can learn to use a slow even technique with a safety razor. Much the same principle.. Very little pressure and smooth deliberate movements.

babs

A-List Customer
cooncatbob said:
The Bull Mastiff all metal handle is my best seller and always available.

...and here's a Rosewood set with a optional Mach3 head.
Wd%20handled%20razors%20001.jpg

Wow.. That rosewood set is sharp! I bet I'd like the weight of the mastiff though. Nothing like feeling the heft of a good solid tool, and I imagine a DE razor is no exception. Looking at some of the Merkur's, I think your price is fairly competitive also when placed against some of the better Merkurs.. Especially considering it's a unique custom product. Deal price for a well-written newbie review and write-up maybe? :) hehehe

Edward

Bartender
babs said:
But yeah, if I can learn to shave my noggin with the Atra III loaded headblade, I can learn to use a slow even technique with a safety razor. Much the same principle.. Very little pressure and smooth deliberate movements.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend trying to use a DE on your head! I did try just that myself when I first got into them (I've been a headshaver since June 06), but given the gouges I made, I had to accept I'll be sticking with the cartridge razor for that. For the chin, though, once you get used to it you really can't beat the feel of a real DE shave. I recently forgot my DE on a ork trip and had to use the cartridge - my chin barely felt 'clean' after that. DO make sure you use a decent brush and shaving soap. I also found some really useful 'how-to' videos on youTube, which helped with basics such as how to whip up a lather with the brush and so on.

To date, I have three DE razor handles: one Gilette Fatboy (vintage 1950s), one WW2 British issue style (I think repro) Aluminium, and the one I actually use, a Merkur Progress. I have bought all mine from www.shaving-shack.com in the UK, though I'm very interested in exploring what Bob has seeing that site...

That last post made me think of something from straight razor shaving that it's all in the angles. A good shave is about getting the handling of the razor and the technique so one can hit the area and still have the angle of the blade so it performs at it's best.

There was a lot of research in the design of disposibles so if you have used a disposible it's a good idea to watch how you how use it and see how the angle of the blades to the face are orientated for the best shave. It helps for the more difficult areas too. Then when moving to a DE or even a straight you'll find that recreating that angle will often improve the shave.

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
Well I was inspired by this thread. Walked right down to the corner store and purchased a brand new saftey razor. I have a couple of them at home and a nice little collection of strait razors, but due to time constraints sometimes in the army I have reverted back to using a Bic. Razor.

Apperently in Iraq the saftey razor is still the in style. I have even found cheep throwaway saftey razors over here.

Edward

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Jedburgh OSS said:
I should have mentioned if you've never shaved with one take it S-L-O-W and E-A-S-Y. Make sure your whiskers are softened with hot water or a hot towel and well-lathered. It's quite a bit different than today's twin, triple, quadruple blade Schick. Nicks are inevitable if you're not careful. Have a styptic pencil at the ready, and be prepared for the sting. The Cenobites have such sights to show you!

:) I was at Wal-Mart and seen the styptic pencil and was like "what the heck is that" I read the package and said "I better get one" :)

thanks everyone for the help I will search all the links and sites and shop around before I just drop money on one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy