Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get Double edge Razor?

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Blades or the razor body itself?

Blades, you can actually get them at Wal-Mart believe it or not.

The body, there are a number of places. I got my first at a cutlery at the local mall. There are a number of online stores that sell them. Or what i think is the best option, hit an antiques shop or two. They're all steel, the parts don't go bad. The adjustable razor I'm using now I bought at an antique store for 8 bucks.

I brought it home and boiled it a few times to take off the old soap and shaving scum (kinda gross). I just boiled it, changed the water, did it again, etc. After that a quick scrub up with a rag and BAM, good as new. Vinegar might also help some. Best shave I've ever gotten.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Gutshot said:
Blades or the razor body itself?

Blades, you can actually get them at Wal-Mart believe it or not.

The body, there are a number of places. I got my first at a cutlery at the local mall. There are a number of online stores that sell them. Or what i think is the best option, hit an antiques shop or two. They're all steel, the parts don't go bad. The adjustable razor I'm using now I bought at an antique store for 8 bucks.

I brought it home and boiled it a few times to take off the old soap and shaving scum (kinda gross). I just boiled it, changed the water, did it again, etc. After that a quick scrub up with a rag and BAM, good as new. Vinegar might also help some. Best shave I've ever gotten.

I have blades, was bidding on a razor and got out bit at last second, all other listings are expensive.

Thanks for the ideas I will hit the antiques shops and look around.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I was just looking at some yesterday www.ima.com (International Military Antiques) has them AND the WWII Plastic Razors ! I contemplated buying them myself. I can still see old Pop shaving his face with one. Unissued and still in pristine conditon get them 'for they're gone.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Join up at www.shavemyface.com, and I am a mod there. Lots of razors offered, some vintage Gillettes and other brands. There is vintageblades on the internet, and you can get some spiffy Edwin Jagger DE razors with horn and ivory handles.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
memphislawyer said:
Join up at www.shavemyface.com, and I am a mod there. Lots of razors offered, some vintage Gillettes and other brands. There is vintageblades on the internet, and you can get some spiffy Edwin Jagger DE razors with horn and ivory handles.

thanks. I have placed a bid on another one on E-Bay and if I am out bid again then I will check your place out (will check it out anyway).

Am I going to have to learn to shave all over again?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Honda, if you have been using the multi-bladed razors, like the Quattro, yes, you will have to learn to use a lighter hand. You can not dig into the face with a DE like you do with a Quattro.

Go lurk for a bit at shavemyface. You will learn of the badger brushes, soaps, creams, balms, and various blades that you can buy. Friendly site, or I would not send you there. THere is a page with vendors and you can ask around about various products and vendors before you spend good money.

One place is classicshaving.com they have quite a number of Double Edge DE safety razors that are current model manufacture. I think that the Feather brand is one of the least expensive ones & on the same page are the blades them selves.

I have bought a number of items from them and they have always provided great service. Also their How & Why section has a lot of info for some one just learning about shaving.

Try here for the DE stuff:
http://www.classicshaving.com/Safety_Razors.html

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
These things, yeah?

11C-main_Full.jpg

Search places such as antiques shops, flea-markets, bric-a-brac shops, junk-shops, etc. I've seen plenty at my local flea-market, along with countless straight-razors.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
If I bought every one of these I ever came across at flea markets, antique shops, etc., I would have a five gallon bucket full of them. They're very easy to find; some still in original boxes or travel/keeping cases. The latest one I picked up was made of brown bakelite for wartime metal conservation and was the only reason I got it. It even has a raised image of a propeller on the top piece that goes over the blade.

Socrets

Familiar Face
You can always ask at the Badger and Blade (badgerandblade.com) forum. Biggest group of wet shaving enthusiasts who would be glad to help you relearn how to shave.

babs

A-List Customer
Yep, I too have been longing to go old-school with a double-edge safety razor. My hesitance has been from the "oh no I gotta learn about something else" syndrome.. You have straight, slant, adjustable, non-adjustable.

I'm thinking of doing one of the $28 Merkur Classics and give it a try.

Once more.. Another great product that men have put to the side, so now I can't just go to the counter, look at them side by side and see the difference and value in one verses another. How we've come to throw out the baby with the bathwater over so many great things our Grand-Dad's enjoyed in life. Last time I even SAW a safety razor was at my grandfathers, when I was a little kid.. And that's going back a year or two.. Maybe 30+ years.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Jedburgh OSS said:
If I bought every one of these I ever came across at flea markets, antique shops, etc., I would have a five gallon bucket full of them. They're very easy to find; some still in original boxes or travel/keeping cases.

I rest my case! See? These razors are amazingly easy to find. I've seen plenty of them at the local flea-market. And they can sell for peanuts.

babs

A-List Customer
Hey I saw your site at one of those other sites yesterday while surfing.
Little tough sifting through the picture scroll for pricing of a full razor, but I'm looking. If I decide to go this route, I'll definitely look you up. Nice work.

Are there models/designs that you typically stock or are they all custom 1-off's or other?

cooncatbob

Practically Family
babs said:
Hey I saw your site at one of those other sites yesterday while surfing.
Little tough sifting through the picture scroll for pricing of a full razor, but I'm looking. If I decide to go this route, I'll definitely look you up. Nice work.

Are there models/designs that you typically stock or are they all custom 1-off's or other?

The Bull Mastiff all metal handle is my best seller and always available.
I have a large supply of the Amboyna Burl so I always have some of them available too.
I have parts going to the plating shop weekly so if a particular style isn't in stock I can make one up relatively quickly.
I also specialize in custom sets, matching brush and razor.
Here's a set made of Pink Ivory wood, royal wood of the Zulus.
Pink%20Combo%20003%20%28Large%29.jpg

and here's a Rosewood set with a optional Mach3 head.
Wd%20handled%20razors%20001.jpg

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Oh, yes, there will be blood...

I should have mentioned if you've never shaved with one take it S-L-O-W and E-A-S-Y. Make sure your whiskers are softened with hot water or a hot towel and well-lathered. It's quite a bit different than today's twin, triple, quadruple blade Schick. Nicks are inevitable if you're not careful. Have a styptic pencil at the ready, and be prepared for the sting. The Cenobites have such sights to show you!

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Jedburgh OSS said:
I should have mentioned if you've never shaved with one take it S-L-O-W and E-A-S-Y. Make sure your whiskers are softened with hot water or a hot towel and well-lathered. It's quite a bit different than today's twin, triple, quadruple blade Schick. Nicks are inevitable if you're not careful. Have a styptic pencil at the ready, and be prepared for the sting. The Cenobites have such sights to show you!

Fear of the DE razor is vastly over rated, the triple nick you get from a Mach3 will bleed much more and longer then the single nick you'll might get from a single bladed razor.
Since the head doesn't pivot the user is required to provide the necessary skill needed to maintain proper blade angle.
The problem isn't the razor but the fact that most men don't know how to shave with a "real" razor.
BTW. I've never owned a styptic pencil and find a post shave splash of Thayer's Witch Hazel will stop any small nicks from bleeding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner