Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get longer selvedge jeans? (34" +)

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
I'm late to the selvedge denim game.

About 2 years ago, after some internet research, I ordered a few pairs of Brave Stars jeans, knowing the fit would be off. I determined that 32's are my size in Brave Stars and returned the others that didn't fit.

I found Brave Stars a great deal. Made in the USA, with USA-made denim (at the time...Cone Mills is gone now, unfortunately), at a good price. I love the jeans, plainly put. They fit my body shape well and I like the fades.

Importantly for me, their standard inseam length is 36". As any denim-head knows, part of the reason you wear selvedge is so that you can cuff the bottom and show off that glorious seam and chain-stitching. Brave Stars, at 36", easily allows me to do that.

But who else does? I wouldn't mind broadening my collection with some different looks. I've added several more pairs of Brave Stars, often simply because I know they fit. Most jeans are sold with a standard 32 or 34" inch inseam. 32's look like flood pants on me. 34 is slightly shorter than my ideal uncuffed inseam length (34.75"), so at best, I might fold the cuff rather than outright roll it.

I'd wanted to try some Levi's 501 selvedge, but it looks like they are 34. Naked and Famous. Ironheart too I think.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to get more selvedge with some longer legs? Thanks!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I’m same as you. I just got into selvedge denim very late in life.

It will depend on your waist size, but many brands use vanity sizing:rolleyes:

For example, I ordered a 35” waist Freenote Portola and they have a 35.5” inseam, but I wear a 31” diesel (32”) inseam as these are low rise. The measurements seem to bear out that the waist hem is the same size in a 31” diesel and a 35” Freenote.

I think to get the length you want in the leg you have to size up in the waist, but sizing up in the waist doesn’t exactly mean buying larger than you need, it may be just a “published number” that fits.

I was surprised and a bit demoralized to find I went from. “31” in one brand to a “35” in another. I guess it’s the same in jackets, it’s just a number:rolleyes:

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
Vanity sizing, yeah. It's amusing that to get a longer leg, the maker assumes that you have a 40" waist. Are they making jeans for Shrek?

I'm not worried about what the number says in the pant. I just want some that aren't Brave Stars with a longer leg. I wish more clothing fit me!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I get it, I was teasing about the sizing.:D

All I’m suggesting is that you might need to go to a different brand to get a longer inseam. Just don’t be surprised if you need to “size up” (by the published number) in the waist to achieve that.

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
For sure! I'm asking for some brand ideas.

I do like my Brave Stars but I'd like to branch out.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Get Sugar Cane 1947s. 36in inseam, top tier denim, excellent construction.

I prefer them to jeans I have that cost more than double.

I'm a little surprised by the question, though, in that all but two pairs of selvedge jeans I've owned have had 36 in inseam.

Maxxmitten

New in Town
Many of the Japanese brands have at least a 34" and sometimes 35" or 36" inseam. In a particular run, it's often the same regardless of waist size. The ones that I know for sure are Samurai, Oni, and Momotaro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ