Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to keep wallet

House credit, always! ;) Kidding.

IMO - Slimline wallet, with ID and 2 credit cards, inside jacket pocket, on your dominant side (right handed, so in right inner jacket pocket). I do this so I have to work to get my wallet out, and have time to consider if I really want whats on the counter, lol . And a money clip for your BR in your front trouser pocket.

Edward

Bartender
Miss 1929 said:
please don't wear your wallet in the back pocket!
It spoils the view for us gals. Except for those gold-diggers who consider the wallet the most attractive part of a man's anatomy...

Hmnn, there's bound to be a way of making a wallet that is shaped in order to, eh, enhance the area... As things are, I've found the perfect method for warding off gold diggers: being an academic. :rolleyes:

ThomasV

New in Town
I keep my wallet in my left hip pocket. I don't like to carry alot of stuff in there. I've never had a problem with back problems, but I have noticed that the chair I sit in does create a shine on my trousers if I don't have anything there, such as a cushion. Supposedly, the chairs that my company have are very expensive, but they do ruin your trousers if there is nothing on top of them. Whatever happended to old fashioned wooden chairs? Everything is ergonomically correct these days.

zeus36

A-List Customer
This snippet of advice probably falls into the category of common sense. Everywhere you look you see guys sitting on their wallets. If you’re a guy, you’re probably doing it right now!

Most guys are so used to carrying that half inch or so of leather padding in the hip pocket that we only notice it when it’s not there.

Sitting on the old billfold is not much different than walking around with one shoe on and one shoe off. At least, it’s all about the same to your back. Obviously, with a wallet tucked between your cheek and your chair, you’ve created an unlevel surface. Imagine what it would look like if our bodies didn’t compensate for the imbalance through a complicated and almost entirely unconscious mechanism involving the muscles, bones, and - most importantly - the nervous system.

Fortunately, the body instinctively tries to keep the head centered over the pelvis. Unfortunately, tortuous turning and twisting of the spine is sometimes necessary to do so. Sitting on a pack of plastic cards, legal tender of the paper variety, and who-knows-what-else in that little leather wallet warming under your left buttock may be sending your lower spine straight toward right field. (If you keep your wallet in your right hip pocket, read this while looking in the mirror.) Somewhere between your lower back and the base of your skull, your spine makes a course correction.

Piriformis syndrome (from the piriformis muscle) is also known as "wallet sciatica" or "fat wallet syndrome," as the condition can be caused or aggravated by sitting with a large wallet in the rear pocket.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Interesting stuff zeus36, I for one have suffered an aggravated sciatic nerve from sitting on the wallet,with it in my back pocket. But do we learn?, no, I still keep it there. If ever I'm in a large crowd though, I try to keep it in the side pocket where I can keep a hold of it. I dislike using the inside breast pocket of a jacket for anything other than pens as it makes me feel larger chested than I already am. Like the idea of a chain, but not sure I would like to be able to see a chain while wearing my suit, as to me I would feel like I was being a follower of goth/emo fashion or an undercover policeman/secret agent which I am neither! Also the credit cards get a bit of a bashing too, being sat on all the time, and in my case I'm having to request new ones about once a year, because the old ones are split, through the magnetic strip or chip.

ThomasV

New in Town
The True Balance

I try to keep the true balance going. Wallet in the left hip pocket, and the handkerchief in the right rear pocket. I don't carry alot in the wallet, so I haven't had that problem. I only carry what I need in the wallet, aka, a credit card to buy a nice bottle of "hootch" (Scotch).

Edward

Bartender
RAF Man said:
Interesting stuff zeus36, I for one have suffered an aggravated sciatic nerve from sitting on the wallet,with it in my back pocket. But do we learn?, no, I still keep it there. If ever I'm in a large crowd though, I try to keep it in the side pocket where I can keep a hold of it. I dislike using the inside breast pocket of a jacket for anything other than pens as it makes me feel larger chested than I already am. Like the idea of a chain, but not sure I would like to be able to see a chain while wearing my suit, as to me I would feel like I was being a follower of goth/emo fashion or an undercover policeman/secret agent which I am neither! Also the credit cards get a bit of a bashing too, being sat on all the time, and in my case I'm having to request new ones about once a year, because the old ones are split, through the magnetic strip or chip.

Eep, I've just this weeke decided to scale down to one wallet in place of two - maybe having one under each buttock is what has saved me all these years.....!

Regardnig trhe chain, I've long used chain wallets, and the chain doesn't need to be visible under the jacket - I just place the leather loop as near the top of the pocket s possible, and drop the excess chain down into the pocket. That leaves it invisible when the jacket is on top, and very little seen even when you take it off. For me it's the perfect compromise between comfort (I find a wallet much more comfortable in there than in the front pocket, especially when seated) and security, the hip pocket of course being an easy one for a pickpocket to get into.

Edward

Bartender
RAF Man said:
Thanks Edward, think I'll give it a try!

No probs. You'll find a whole bunch of them on eBay if you use it (it's often with this sort of item much cheaper to buy from the US than the UK, even allowing for the difference in postage costs). The main thing I'd check for once you get it is the loop fitting for attaching to your belt. Very occasionally, I've found one which had a sharp edge there somewhere that needs a little filing so as it's not apt to run the risk of tearing a jacket lining.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Thanks again. Just done a "buy it now" from the 'bay as I couldn't find one when I was in Leeds very briefly today. Chain and wallet GBP6.99 !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy