Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to score a Jet Black A2

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've got about enough brown A2's of various shades. I need a Jet Black one to make me stop buying them for a while at least. The only site that I've found that'll do a Jet Black Horsehide in my size is "FlightJacket.com".

http://www.flightjacket.com/custom-a2-jacket.html

I've done several searches on here and no one seems to have mentioned them before . Any opinions of their workmanship? Any one know of another place to get a Jet Black A2? Or should I just get on of my Brown ones dyed? Thanks in advance...

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Seconded. I've had a black goatskin G&B Civil A-2 jacket for over ten years, and it's held up great.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Civil+A-2/id/18/cat_id/18/prod_id/54/

If you want black horsehide, you'll have to go elsewhere. (And there's nothing wrong with US Authentic, I had one of their HH A-2s for years, it was a very solid jacket. But their trim-but-long sizing was never great for me, and when I put on a little weight it became too tight at the gut/waist and I sold it to another Lounger.)

(Troy, NY? My son's a senior at RPI!)

Lando

Practically Family
Gibson & Barnes, US Wings and US Authentic (Flightjacket.com) all will make black A2s.

US Wings is the cheapest of them, but also the baggiest in the sleeves.

G & B makes a great A2 but I believe they only do their Goatskin in Black.

US Authentic will do a totally custom jacket and quickly, and they do Black horsehide, but their horsehide feels very heavy, much so than G&Bs or anything US Wings has. Plus, they do run a little longer than the other two.

If you want black Goatskin, I would say go for the G&B, but for horsehide, go for the US Authentic.

And if you do go for the custom US Authentic, I've found changing the A2 style pockets for the G1 style pockets with snaps looks very cool. They end up being bigger than the A2 pockets, but, its looks better with a larger size like a size 48, and gives you more room for your hands and or belongings. Also, its covered under the whole custom price. Let me know if you'd like to seem some pics of how it comes out.

I should add that if price and or time is no option, Aero and Lost Worlds will make you a mean A2 in black as well.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the good information quick. My biggest problem with some of the suggested company's is my shoulders. I played Right Guard Off. Tackle in the Army. I'm a size 54, a trim 54. I've score A2's from other's that are gut laden 54s LOL. So Eastman, G&B and some others are OUT. I kinda figure US Authentic was my only reasonable hope for one my size. Well I'll keep lookin' and thanks.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Aero would be worth talking to - I've seen a black HH A2 they did which was really nice. I'd prefer goat, myself, but they can't get goat in black, they tell me. Because Aero make their jackets to order rather than for stock, they could probably accommodate you in fit..... I'm not sure what their upper limit is in sizes. Some A2 manufacturers stop at a 48: the usual reason given is that this is the biggest they can go and still have a one-piece back. Given you're obviously not looking for 101% accuracy as you want a black one, you might find it easier. Would you be bothered by a centre seam in the back?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
(Troy, NY? My son's a senior at RPI!)
Yeah, I live on the R.P.I campus. I'm not affiliated with the University but it's nice, quiet University setting... until "you honk we drink" season comes round.. LOL. R.P.I.'s a grreat school and I hope your son had gotten all out of it he can because I KNOW that R.P.I. has gotten about as much out of YOU (that school ain't cheap) as they can.

On the question of Black HH A2's I've kinda narrowed it down to two "Lost Worlds" and "US Authentic". Both companies are VERY close to where I live, especially LW. I could go to either factory and get "custom fitted" if I wanted too. However a LW A2 is about double the price and little more of it's nearest competitor. If my son weren't a Freshman in College, I'd not hesitate, however, much as I love my new found hobby, I must handle my responsibilities as a father and man first and foremost. Once the tax refund comes I'll make a final decision. Thanks for the information guys.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Re RPI... Luckily, between RPI's own scholarships/grants and help from extended family, we've managed to pay for my son's education without taking out any student loans (thank God!), and without too much hardship. (And a good thing too, as I've got a daughter in college now also!) He's done very well, majoring in chemistry (and minoring in computer science), and has been doing research for one his professors on which he's gotten co-authorship credit on a paper; he also won a chem department award that paid for his spending last summer on campus to continue his research. He's now applying to several top grad schools...

Re your black HH A-2... I thought Lost Worlds is in Queens: isn't US Authentic a good hour closer to you? I went over to US Authentic's "factory" (*) in Katonah when I bought mine, and Shaul was a great help fitting me. (Unlike Mr. Lost Worlds, you seldom hear any nutjob stories about Shaul!) If you're considering a custom job, I really think it's worth the drive down to visit him.

(* Actually just an old carriage house adjacent to Shaul's home - US Authentic is a very small operation... Or at least, they were when I was there nearly a decade ago.)

Edward

Bartender
To be honest, for this kind of jacket and with the money involved, if US Authentic do the fit you want, I'd go with them. I can't speak on ground of personal experience of their product, but of everything I've read on here about them the only real negatives seem to be that they aren't as accurate as the premium repro brands. Given that you're not looking for that any way..... IMO, great as the product is from all the top end boys, to quite some degree what you are paying for is the expertise in producing a niche product as accurate as possible to the original jackets rather than the quality of the jacket in and of itself as a garment. If what you want is a good jacket in a general A2 style, you don't have to spend to the very top end IMO. FWIW, regarding Lost Words I have a B3 from them and it is beautiful. I bought used, so while I've also heard all the stories about the owner being..... somewhat cantankerous.... I can't comment from personal experience.

Corky

Practically Family
The jackets G & B makes are cut to fit a more modern individual

Thanks for the good information quick. My biggest problem with some of the suggested company's is my shoulders. I played Right Guard Off. Tackle in the Army. I'm a size 54, a trim 54. I've score A2's from other's that are gut laden 54s LOL. So Eastman, G&B and some others are OUT. I kinda figure US Authentic was my only reasonable hope for one my size. Well I'll keep lookin' and thanks.

Worf

Worf:

The jackets G & B makes are cut to fit a more modern individual than the WW II Milspec jackets.

I also lifted weights and played football during the wayward days of my youth and I am quite happy with my G & B jackets.

I find the G & B jackets extremely comfortable.

Why not plan to stop by their show room and try on a few next time you're in San Diego?

billyb

Familiar Face
I second the Fox Creek suggestion. They sell quality product, have great service, and the price is fair. If you don't like the fit, just return it. If you don't like the fit because the 54 fits bagging around your torso but fits well in the shoulders and chest, you can return it and request they have a factory special made...something like a combo of 54 top and 50 bottom. It will run you $80 extra (currently) and about 3 months wait. I did it with a Vented Bomber jacket and it came out great (46 top and 42 bottom). I did have to have the zip-in liner hemmed locally to get that right since they used a size 46 zip-in liner and there was too much excess material at the flanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn