Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where would we be today if?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah now the PT Cruiser with a Hemi is what it was all about in the old days! Pintos with 427s, Vegas with 454s....the good old days.

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
Challenger

OK. The HHR is not bad. The PT Cruiser is a neon with a different body, and holds up about as long as a neon would before wearing out. The new Mustang, especially the cobra and Roush are awsome, and the new Camaro looks to a be pretty great too... but I am ready to start seeing this new challenger.
2006-dodge-challenger.jpg

Jack Armstrong

Familiar Face
nubsnubs said:
And further more, where would we be today if the visionary Preston Tucker continued to produce automobiles like his wonderful 1948 Torpedo?

That's a question I've pondered for a long time. What might the 1956 Tucker have been like? The 1976?

If (and it's a big "if") Preston Tucker had remained as innovative as he was in 1948 -- and if the Tucker Torpedo had proven a consistently profitable seller once the postwar car shortage passed -- I think he would have turned the company toward front-wheel-drive early on. FWD was a major problem for mass-produced cars for a long time (until the widespread adoption of the CV joint) and I think that Tucker Motors would have been at the cutting edge of engineering in this area.

During the Sixties, turbine engines were making a big stir, and it's not much of a stretch to imagine a 1966 front-drive Tucker Typhoon sporting an advanced turbine, maybe with some kind of electric drive to circumvent the throttle-lag problem.

With both turbine and electric-drive technology firmly under its belt, Tucker Motors would have been sitting pretty as the era of fuel efficiency dawned. Where they might have gone from there is a little harder to visualize. Maybe a four-wheel-drive electric-drive high-efficiency multifuel turbine. The Tucker Tornado?

William Lear made some major advances in steam-car design during the Sixties and late Seventies, so it's also possible that Tucker's engineering department might have licensed some patents and gone that route instead. Imagine a quiet, powerful, high-mileage multifuel steam car using some high-tech synthetic working fluid in a sealed system. The 2007 Tucker Tempest, perhaps?

Alas, we'll never know in this universe.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe that cars like Tuckers would have later fallen in between the very limited production exotic category and that of Deloreans had they survived.

You know perhaps 5,000 cars a year for a company leaning on mainstream and probably 500 a year for a car more exotic/expensive.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters