Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which A&E Shoe Should I Get?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
johnnycanuck said:
Just need to get it past the wife first. :)
Johnny

I hear you there. My wife kids me about my AE shoe festish. She tells our 5 month old that "Daddy has expensive taste in shoes." She did, however, give me the AE gift card for my birthday.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't mind the Weybridge if it wasn't for the out of control brogueing. If they'd just stuck with the medallion and left it alone I think it would be a handsome shoe.

Honestly, IMO AE has been in a design downward spiral. From the pictures I've seen of the upcoming spring collection, though, that's about to turn around. There are some very nice offerings coming up.

Avoiding wingtips and the basic captoe (as you desire to do) and picking from the current offerings, I'd probably go with the Mora in suede:

41MEK9GT33L._AA280_.jpg

Even that's cheating a bit as they just discontinued the suede so you'd have to order from one of their outlet centers, but they ought to be able to track you one down.

Otherwise, personally I'd take an opportunity either to explore Alden or wait until the spring collection. [huh]

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
AlanC said:
Otherwise, personally I'd take an opportunity either to explore Alden or wait until the spring collection. [huh]

I was not aware of the changes coming for the spring. Maybe I shall wait until I see those.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic:
Again!!

Just an update for all of you, I am happy to report that with a little more wear and patience, the Park Avenues did break in nicely and are now some of my favorite shoes ever. :eusa_clap They are very comfortable, and I have every intention of buying more in the future. I have the black now, and plan to get brown and merlot. I would consider other styles, but the Park Avenue is just exactly what I want in a brown shoe and a merlot shoe, so why get something different? I have the Alden medallion tip bal in the burnished tan, so I don't only wear basic cap toes, but I just prefer them over most other styles. I love my AE's and would heartily recommend them

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thanks for all the help. I went with the Hampsteads. Here they are - the first day on my feet. They fit like a glove already. I'm an Allen Edmonds man now. It is like a rite of passage.

shoes1.jpg

Rooster

Practically Family
Re 'the Spectors' - don't wear them to nightclubs in Hollywood
OK, I'm a bumpkin from Iowa and don't get out much. I have a pair of brown and white specs coming any day .Now, if I wear my specs out in public I won't have a bunch of gay guys hitting on me or something will I?:eek:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rooster
No, you will not have guys hitting on you. I find them more conversation starters.......Men usually ask "what's up with that?" and women are more along the lines of "I love your shoes" or "I hate your shoes". If the women say they hate them I usually just make an off reference to them wanting my cloth off. :)
Johnny

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Rooster said:
OK, I'm a bumpkin from Iowa and don't get out much. I have a pair of brown and white specs coming any day .Now, if I wear my specs out in public I won't have a bunch of gay guys hitting on me or something will I?:eek:

Just don't tap those specs on the floor when in a men's room stall!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by Brian Sheridan
Just don't tap those specs on the floor when in a men's room stall!

Originally posted by Marc Chevalier
Don't worry about that: U.S. senators don't wear spectators these days.

I thought the Senator was out... of the stall.

:fedora:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
Thanks for all the help. I went with the Hampsteads. Here they are - the first day on my feet. They fit like a glove already. I'm an Allen Edmonds man now. It is like a rite of passage.

shoes1.jpg

Thanks for the pix. I have seen them on Style Forum but not on the feet ...one of AEs best so far...I like the webbing look with the leather combo...sweet summer shoe.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Since I started this post I have purchased - by mail - two more pairs of A&E shoes, the Dryden and McClain.

I like the look of both shoes but the fit and comfort I find to be quite different.

The Dryden's leather isn't very soft and it "bites" me around the ankle. The shoe is also a big too long for my taste. I take a 3EEE but the Dryden seems a tad too wide. A&E doesn't make a 2E. Standing in them feels okay but this is not a shoe in which I'd want to do much walking around.

shoes.jpg

The McClain, in the awesome spectator bone/bourbon style, is incredible. The leather seems buttery soft and the fit is spot on.

Either way, I'm glad Spring is finally here in the NE so I can pull out these great shoes without worrying about salt and snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass