Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which came first, Stetson Whippet or Akubra Stylemaster?

I guess I have always wanted to believe that the OR was invented...or "born"...in the form we know it today. The truth is, though, it evolved from something or somethings else.

AF

Yep, the first presence of the Open Road has been discussed as coming out in a wide ribbon configuration then disappearing to reappear in the late 1940's as the icon it is.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1878 Stetsons
P1040683.JPG

I don't think the styles were new then.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I just checked John Helmers and they do offer a green. This is what I really appreciate and love about this forum, so many knowledgeable folks who freely share with you to help you out. Also that Mid Brown color that they are offering sounds nice too. I would love to see photos of both.

Kirk H.

carldelo

One Too Many
I have a new Whippet and had a Stylemaster, and have to say that they are pretty different. The SM is 4-1/4" tall at the crease, and is more tapered. The Whippet is about 4" tall, and the deeper dents push the sides out a bit, and so is less tapered from the front. The teardrop shapes are really different - the SM has a sharp crease that defines the teardrop, and it is somewhat narrow and almond-shaped. The Whippet teardrop is deeper and more rounded, and much more of a true teardrop to my eye.

Trimwise, both the ribbon and brim binding are wider on the Whippet. Feltwise, the Whippet is Sovereign felt and mine is quite soft and pliable, and very dressy in gray. The SM felt is more coarse, and showed up so stiff that the brim made a noise when snapped down, but I know they soften up well with time. The SM did feel pretty bulletproof and able to take a beating, and had a much nicer sweatband and liner. For my uses, being a city dweller, the Whippet is far better, and I sold the SM, although with some regret.

Pictured below is the new Whippet in Caribou gray with a nice gray ribbon. Also the SM in acorn fawn next to a gray polystraw Capricorn. Note that the Capricorn appears to be exactly the same shape as the SM. I quite like the Capricorn as a summer straw, and think the proportions work well for that. In fact, I just picked up a Rink recently, which is the same as the Cap, but comes in white and cream. So if you really like the SM, you might consider one of these polystraws for summer.

Stetson Whippet in Caribou gray:
Whippet001.jpg

Akubra Stylemaster in acorn fawn and Akubra Capricorn in gray
Comparison005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis