Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Eastman A-2?

New in Town
Hello everyone

Have just signed up, although I’ve been visiting these forums on and off for a couple of years. Rather reluctant to post I guess, as English is not my mother tongue, but anyways; I’m glad I finally did.

I’ve been looking to buy an A-2 for some time and have decided to pull the trigger for an ELC A-2.
Can anyone offer some insight as to what the difference is in terms of fit between the ELC “non-contract” and “contract” versions, if any?

I’m trying to avoid a blousey fit; hoping to strike a more tailored fit, not tight, just comfortable.

Thanks
Charis

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Welcome mate :) This is where the contract detail comes in handy as I am sure some are made for a slimmer fit than others. Eastman house jackets are a good stepping stone up to the more WWII accurate cuts of his original makers. Cant really help but my Eastman house jacket does run to an 'Off the shoulder' shape, but then it is around 25-30 years old.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello everyone

Have just signed up, although I’ve been visiting these forums on and off for a couple of years. Rather reluctant to post I guess, as English is not my mother tongue, but anyways; I’m glad I finally did.

I’ve been looking to buy an A-2 for some time and have decided to pull the trigger for an ELC A-2.
Can anyone offer some insight as to what the difference is in terms of fit between the ELC “non-contract” and “contract” versions, if any?

I’m trying to avoid a blousey fit; hoping to strike a more tailored fit, not tight, just comfortable.

Thanks
Charis

Give Eastmans a call & ask :) always friendly & informative in my experience.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi Chris, welcome.
Having owned a number of ELCs over the years, I can tell that you can't really go wrong with any of their jackets.
That said, I would fork out the little extra for an original maker jacket.
The house jackets do tend to be of a bit 'roomier' cut, but its all relative. One can get a smaller size and lengthen it...
Theres always their Slender model in steerhide, which looks awesome, but you have to be a trim bloke.
I love my RW1401, its a long version, but its trim enough. The Star is a pretty trim jacket, but quite comfortable - inset sleeves allow a touch easier arm movement and the lower profile collar is nice. Monarch is stunning - quite trim though. Had one, felt a little tight moving arms around. Weber and HLB look great also. RW27752 - had a few, but have always found the pattern just a touch roomy on me.
The Warhorse is amazing. It has oodles of character right out the box and develops more quickly.
Tip - I have found on all my A-2s that after a short time the arms crease up a little with wear and this 'shortens' them slightly, from my experience 0.5 to 1 inch... Which is why I usually add the inch on the sleeves.
But each to their own.
Have you considered their M422a? I made the 'error' of trying one on the other day. NOW I SIMPLY HAVE TO HAVE ONE.
It was so darn comfy, the fit, the gussets, the satin liner.... Anyway. AVG here we come!
Drop them a line and ask them, they are a good bunch. Good luck and remember the forum's golden rule.... FIT PICS!
(Oh and be nice ;)...

New in Town
Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

Welcome mate :) This is where the contract detail comes in handy as I am sure some are made for a slimmer fit than others. Eastman house jackets are a good stepping stone up to the more WWII accurate cuts of his original makers. Cant really help but my Eastman house jacket does run to an 'Off the shoulder' shape, but then it is around 25-30 years old.

30 years!! How is it holding up after all these years?

New in Town
Hi Chris, welcome.
Having owned a number of ELCs over the years, I can tell that you can't really go wrong with any of their jackets.
That said, I would fork out the little extra for an original maker jacket.
The house jackets do tend to be of a bit 'roomier' cut, but its all relative. One can get a smaller size and lengthen it...
Theres always their Slender model in steerhide, which looks awesome, but you have to be a trim bloke.
I love my RW1401, its a long version, but its trim enough. The Star is a pretty trim jacket, but quite comfortable - inset sleeves allow a touch easier arm movement and the lower profile collar is nice. Monarch is stunning - quite trim though. Had one, felt a little tight moving arms around. Weber and HLB look great also. RW27752 - had a few, but have always found the pattern just a touch roomy on me.
The Warhorse is amazing. It has oodles of character right out the box and develops more quickly.
Tip - I have found on all my A-2s that after a short time the arms crease up a little with wear and this 'shortens' them slightly, from my experience 0.5 to 1 inch... Which is why I usually add the inch on the sleeves.
But each to their own.
Have you considered their M422a? I made the 'error' of trying one on the other day. NOW I SIMPLY HAVE TO HAVE ONE.
It was so darn comfy, the fit, the gussets, the satin liner.... Anyway. AVG here we come!
Drop them a line and ask them, they are a good bunch. Good luck and remember the forum's golden rule.... FIT PICS!
(Oh and be nice ;)...

Thank you for the detailed reply Brettafett! I must mention that your photos of that RW 1401 depict what has got to be the best fitting A-2 I've seen so far.
Will certainy post pics. But to get to that, I must find me an A-2 first. :)

New in Town

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Well to be honest, some parts not that well. Stitching has come away from around the pockets, wind flap and zip base areas. Just doene a little home maintenance on it, guess the original machinist may have had a bad day.
All the details are there though the shape does come up boxy, I don't know if his patten has changed. Some on here will say these are not accurate historically, I have 1 original and it looks ok to me.
it's my do all jacket though and just had the cuffs replaced(not by Eastman) also re-dyed it as I didn't like the lighter brown. Looks quite realistic. Just stuck some leather dye in a spray gun, hung the jacket on a tree and away we go :)

EASTY_zpswpzcxxim.jpg

New in Town
To me, it looks like a jacket that has got some stories to tell.
Wear it in good heath.

Talon884

New in Town
This is a Eastman "Rough Wear 27752" contract jacket, I bought it about a month ago and added a few things to it (copy of my Grandfathers Squadron Patch and blood chit sewn into the lining).cant wait for it to get cool enough here in FL to wear it!

image1[1218] 1.jpg

HPA Rep

Vendor
Hello everyone

Thanks
Charis

Welcome, Charis!

If you look at our affiliate page, you will see most of the Original-Maker A-2's being modeled by me, where I provide my body measures and other details related to the size of the A-2, thus enabling a fairly good idea of the differences in fit. If you need any help, please advise. Thank you.

New in Town
Welcome, Charis!

If you look at our affiliate page, you will see most of the Original-Maker A-2's being modeled by me, where I provide my body measures and other details related to the size of the A-2, thus enabling a fairly good idea of the differences in fit. If you need any help, please advise. Thank you.

Thank you Charles.
Since I'm new to these boards, I'm still trying to find my way around. Can you post a link to your affiliate page?

Edit: Got it, wasn't so hard after all.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...n-associates-official-affiliate-thread.75818/

Will browse through and get back to you with questions.:)

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
Hey Charis,

Welcome to the forum, as mentioned you can't go wrong with an Eastman A2 they are all very good but if you do have the extra cash then go for one of the original contract jackets.

I have had both the Star and the RW 27752 which were great jackets, the Star has been sold on but i still have the RW 27752 - here's of photo of it, see what you think.

Amir

New in Town
When I looked for an A-2 in 2014, my final contenders included the Rough Wear 27752 (circa 1942) and RW 1401 (1941) contracts. I was under the impression their fit was similar, with different leather colors and zippers - seal brown/talon for the 27752 vs russet/crown for the 1401, generally...

I opted for the 27752 Warhorse in a delicious deep chocolate brown, with olive drab thread that sets it off nicely.

Rough Wear 1.jpg

If you live in US, Charles at History Preservation Associates (HPA) is very helpful comparing different contract fits/styles.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
When I looked for an A-2 in 2014, my final contenders included the Rough Wear 27752 (circa 1942) and RW 1401 (1941) contracts. I was under the impression their fit was similar, with different leather colors and zippers - seal brown/talon for the 27752 vs russet/crown for the 1401, generally...

I opted for the 27752 Warhorse in a delicious deep chocolate brown, with olive drab thread that sets it off nicely.

If you live in US, Charles at History Preservation Associates (HPA) is very helpful comparing different contract fits/styles.

Thank you! Yes, your understanding of the differences is correct. The A-2 looks great on you, too!!!

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
This might be a dead thread, but figured I would try anyhow. I found a monarch a2 on ebay in 44L. I usually take a 40L and have a 42L eastman m422a which fits beautifully and sized up based on how slim of a fit I heard it was. The measurements this guy provided for the Monarch seem to be pretty identical to my m422a 42L. Is the monarch THAT slim of a fit which would warrent sizing up that much?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Monarch from ELC is a 48, I'm normally a 46, sold my RW contract A-2 because is was far too fitted in a 46 and was on the cusp of being uncomfortable. The Monarch appears to be a more generous cut than others which was my plan to factor my swimmers shoulders, a 50 would be too big for me though. The HPA site give measurements for ELC A-2's and is where I did my homework.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I've seen that.
I have had numerous A-2s, incl numerous ELCs. As stated above, my favourite has been the RW1401. Trim, athletic pattern, comfortable to wear. Classic.
Usually wear a 40L, recently bought one of these in a 42L and the darn thing is a bit too big for me. Ugh. Insanely lovely jacket. In the Classifieds somewhere... www.eastmanleather.com/classifieds.php
Apologies if that seems like a sales pitch ;) Its just such a nice jacket.
The 40L was trim, but was a good fit, should have stayed there.
Recently had an ELC M422a in a 42L, which fit ok, was a touch roomy also. Sold it to get my Headwind HL Block M422a, in a 40L, but it is also a a bit roomy on me. Double damn. Fits more like a 42L.
So, the ELC Monarch. I had a 40L, but as above with swimmers shoulders and narrow waist, it felt tight in the shoulders, wider in the waist. Weird fit for me... Love the profile, but couldn't get it to work for me. Tried on a 42 and 44 at the recent Airshows, and the 42 was better, the 44 too big, blousy.
HLB A-2 in a 40 was the best fitting ELC A-2 off the rack, but it has a wide waist... Normal for the pattern.
What to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot