Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which G-1 jacket should I choose?

Which G-1 should I get?

• Sporty's G-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alpha G-1

• Other (Specify)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking to get a fairly cheap, affordably-priced, yet decent to good quality G-1 leather jacket under $250. As she's willing to cover costs and offer it as such, this is meant to be a potential birthday gift from my grandmother, which will be in about a month. The thing is, I don't want to break the bank doing so, which is why for me, it pretty much boils down to two options.

Should I go with the G-1 jacket they're selling at Sporty's Pilot Shop?

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/7948

Or should I go with the G-1 that Alpha's manufacturing?

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/product.php?productid=378702&cat=0&page=152

Which is the superior product, in your opinion? Do you have any experience with one of these jackets? Perhaps there's also something other than these two you have in mind to recommend as well. Thank you, for your input is much appreciated.

kiltie

Practically Family
HOORAY!!!

I HAVE 100% OF THE VOTE!!! You have to do what I say now :eek: .

I opted "other" because I'd probably shoot for a surplus model on eBay. They can usually be had for under $150 in really good shape. Coupled with that, I just happened to be paging through these earlier today and saw two from US Authentic, which is a $400 jacket, I think ( they were both currently under $100...), and WWII styled.
Yeah, with surplus you're sacrificing the real collar, but you get a broken in jacket with built in history. AAAaaannnd..., you get the cool perforated USN or USMC on the storm flap.

Peacoat

Bartender
You can get a pre-1970 issue G-1 with decent goat and a real mouton collar for about $200 to $300 on Ebay. John Chapman had a couple he wanted to sell a while back for about that.

As you probably know, the early versions are fitted more closely than the current issue/civilian models.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
JB, if you want a new G-1 there are many more options available than the two you mention. But I have to agree with Kiltie and Peacoat...the real thing is usually available on e-bay for $100 to $200, so why buy a repro?

Also, neither the Alpha or the Sporty's G-1 claims to be made of goatskin...and I suspect that neither is. But all G-1s issued before 1970 are. In the long run, I think you'll be much happier with a goatskin G-1.

AF

Post Edit: Ooops. After reading the Sporty's ad more carefully, I guess their jacket is made made of goat. My bad. But I would still buy a original.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice so far, but the fact of the matter is, I'm not sure about buying a vintage jacket yet. There may be some odd smells or it may be dirty somewhere. Of course, this is probably small stuff to the rest of you enthusiasts, but they are currently a few reservations I have. I'll consider this as an option however.

CBI

One Too Many
No question, go with an original. You can ask about odors, etc. Don't worry. If you do buy on eBay there is eBay/PayPal buyer protection and you can return a jacket if you don't like it (even if the seller says "no returns").

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
agree with everybody.
Sometime late originals seems cheap. This kind of repro always are.
On the bay, you are not sure to buy the jacket as good as it looks. With this repros, you are sure to buy something as medium quality as it looks.

too much coffee

Practically Family
JB;
Hey man, it's not second hand underwear you're buying..............it's a used issued U.S. Navy goatskin flight jacket. Just hang it outside in that wonderful California sunshine for a couple of days.

My daughter wore one of my original G-1s through Junior and Senior year in High School and when she could (because of the weather) at The University Of Arizona. The originals are timeless.

Regards........coffee

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Coffee. Most odors will take care of themselves with some fresh air and sunshine. Mold may be a different problem. There is a thread on here a while back about removing odors. I have bought a bunch of jackets and coats from ebay and never had a problem with odor.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I felt it worthwhile to ask here in this thread... is the fit of a leather jacket supposed to correspond with my suit jacket size? Let's say I wear a 42 short sport coat, would a size 40-42 leather jacket be a good-enough fit? I'd like this upcoming jacket to be one that I'll have in decent condition (and fit) for years to come.

Peacoat

Bartender
J B said:
I felt it worthwhile to ask here in this thread... is the fit of a leather jacket supposed to correspond with my suit jacket size? Let's say I wear a 42 short sport coat, would a size 40-42 leather jacket be a good-enough fit? I'd like this upcoming jacket to be one that I'll have in decent condition (and fit) for years to come.

You will need to get measurements from the seller and then compare them to the measurements of a jacket that fits you. While the stated size is a good starting point, size alone is insufficient to ensure a good fit.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Buy a repop from Flight Suits and leave the originals to the collectors!!:) The one drawback to buying an original G-1 off of ebay is that if it doesn't fit then you are still looking for a jacket. A vendor of quality will work with you on sizing to get it right. Pay more? Yes, but you will have the added security of a warranty.

apba1166

A-List Customer
sizing

I have found sizing to vary. Keep in mind a jacket will bend and weave and stretch to fit you better over time, whereas a jacket that feels comfortable from the outset might drape or bag as time goes. One thing that wont change is overall front length so make sure you are happy w/that from day 1. The key measurement for me is shoulder/sleeve; for others it might be something else. I'm a 42regular in a suit coat, but often find a 44 works best; depending on how the leather jacket is cut. Even different jackets from same maker vary. I have two Fox Creek jackets, one fits at 44, the other fits at 42. For me, depending on the cut of the jacket, the shoulder can be a bit wide, making what would be a good sleeve measurement too long or vice-versa. As said already, see if the vendor will work w/you on returns/shipping for size. I have twice bought online where the vendor agreed to a free second ship for size (though I paid shipping to me and back to him).-Mark

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Considered Cockpit USA? If you're in NYC area they have a cool showroom where you can try it on before purchasing. 10% off retail if you promise to post an internet review. I tried their original mil-spec G-1 w/o side pockets and w/ real mouton. Really liked the slim and tapering fit.

green papaya

One Too Many
This authentic naval aviator jacket is based on the original U.S. Navy design, right down to the goatskin leather and genuine mouton wool collar Although it is practically unheard of these days, our G-1 features original bi-directional knitted wool on the sleeve cuffs and waistband to resist stretching and pilling. Original detailing includes double-stitched, double-entry pockets, inside snap pocket, heavy brass zipper with leather pull tab, hidden pen pocket as well as goatskin wind flap, throat latch and hanging loop. The underarm gussets provide ease of movement and eyelets provide ventilation. A retractable, bi-swing back panel offers additional roominess. Made of select, heavyweight hides and is sure to become one of your prized possessions. Features dark brown goatskin leather. Imported

I like the one by SPORTYS, I rather have a brand new jacket with side entry pockets for everyday wear, plus you can return it if the size doesnt fit.

9084.jpg

James Miller

One of the Regulars
What Size G-1 Are you looking for.

What size G-1 are you looking for. I have a few in large and XL. I'm almost out. If you are looking for one in the size I stated I may be able to help.

I have many A-2's but only a few G-1's left. I was going to do some art work on them.. but have not had the time. Always willing to help out a fellow lounger.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Actually, when it comes to ready-to-wear or off-the-rack clothing, I'm a size medium. The last time I measured my jacket size, I was 42 short (ironically I'm not short at all, but my arms may be somewhat). Now the fit of that sport coat I had tried on felt just right, but about two months later, and after having lost nearly ten pounds, I'm thinking that I may be closer to 40 (probably not "vintage" 40, as those are tighter I believe).

James Miller

One of the Regulars
G-1

Sorry! I don't have any in that size left. large (44-46) XL (50-52).
Just thought I would ask.

I do Custom art work on A-2's and a few G-1's I have a few G-1's left so just I thought I would ask. If you ever want to look at some Squadron patches you can look at www.usbomberjackets.com and click on slide show I have a few on there.

Best of luck with the size 40 Gee I wish I could wear a fourty because There is a lot more vintage ones in your size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24