Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is ideal position for sleeve zippers?

FredS

One of the Regulars
I notice a lot of biker style jackets have the sleeve zipper on the inside of the sleeve these days. It makes me think that especially if you have side adjuster straps with buckles the zip will keep on rubbing against these buckles with normal walking movement and the zip could even catch on the buckle.
On other jackets the zipper is at the bottom of the sleeve which I think would be a nuisance when resting your arms on a table or on the bar at your local pub.
The best option would be to my mind to have them on the side on the outside of the sleeve, like the Lewis Leathers have them. Looks better visually too I think.
Any thoughts on this this anyone would care to share?

Peacoat

Bartender
On a bike jacket, the zips need to be accessible. That's the reason for being on the inside or the bottom of the sleeve. They can, however, get in the way in this location. I prefer mine to be on the outside of the forearm with a piece of leather attached to the zip to enable better access while riding.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have a Schott with inside zippers and a Lewis leather with outside zippers, if i am perfectly honest it makes absolutely no difference in real life use.

The only advantage i can think of about having them on the outside Lewis style, is that you don't have to worry about scratching your tank if it you rub your sleeve on it.
But then, i don't really worry about it when wearing my schott and it has never happened.
Apart from that, both do the job just as well.

cafeblitz

New in Town
Regardless of zipper position, I have never scratched my tank with my jacket. My current cafe racer has zips on the outside and they don't bother me at all, but I do like the look of Pegasus' cafe racer with zips on top.

Pic from Pegasus:
IMG_2942a.jpg.opt356x534o0%2C0s356x534.jpg

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
A yeah that is just b-b-b-bad to the bone!

On the day I was born
The nurses all gathered 'round
And they gazed in wide wonder
At the joy they had found
The head nurse spoke up
Said "leave this one alone"
She could tell right away
That I was bad to the bone

Bad to the bone
Bad to the bone
B-B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-B-Bad
B-B-B-B-Bad
Bad to the bone

BobJ

Practically Family
If you use your handwarmer pockets much, zippers on the inside of the sleeve will scratch and wear the leather around the opening of the pocket. I have seen this on jackets.

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80