Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which jacket for canadian winter?

AllanP

Familiar Face
at some point, you just have to layer properly for the most warmth. Leather is not a good option when it's -20. B3, or other shearling flight jackets are warm enough typically, but it is too short. Maybe a B7, but it's really too heavy compared to modern down Parkas.

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
Please stay safe people! Function > form for sure. I don't want to hear about frost bite on this forum (or worse).

In the scenario where I do wear my Eastman shearling, I keep a heavy duty Canada Goose parka in the trunk of my car in case something ever happens.
This, definitely.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
+1 on putting the CXL leathers away down in these temps. Anything lower than +20F/-6C is simply too cold and yes, the very waxy CXL Steer/Horse hide will indeed harden/stiffen up. Like 3/8" plywood if left in your car. That said, I have worn it *under* a wool or down parka and it works pretty well there, keeping the wind out (think Filson wool parka that is a looser woven wool product, kinds of lacks wind blocking traits.) Also this keep the CXL leather warmer, and you too but it's bulky.

Overall, at the temps you are referring to, there are simply other, better choices. GL with the decision...

Plumbline

One Too Many
Stay clear of leather below 0DegC ... not just CXL ... any leather. It’s simply not useful or insulative enough. I have a medium weight CXL, shearling lined LHB and it’s ok but has the water resistance of a large sponge ( the issue isnt rain - it doesn’t rain at -10) it’s damp and thaw Even the ANJ-4 is limited in usefulness as it’s heavy and difficult to layer with and below -10 layers are your friend.

Down is the way to go ( with layers) in really cold weather (below -10C) ... millions of workers in the Arctic / Antarctic will testify to this.. I’ve been both “up north” (Anchorage and the Slope) and also “down south” (albeit only McQuarrie) in my career and my Canada Goose expedition was the tool of choice. With various layers.

Neither shearling nor synthetics came close. Just MHO

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
Stay clear of leather below 0DegC ... not just CXL ... any leather. It’s simply not useful or insulative enough. I have a medium weight CXL, shearling lined LHB and it’s ok but has the water resistance of a large sponge ( the issue isnt rain - it doesn’t rain at -10) it’s damp and thaw Even the ANJ-4 is limited in usefulness as it’s heavy and difficult to layer with and below -10 layers are your friend.

Down is the way to go ( with layers) in really cold weather (below -10C) ... millions of workers in the Arctic / Antarctic will testify to this.. I’ve been both “up north” (Anchorage and the Slope) and also “down south” (albeit only McQuarrie) in my career and my Canada Goose expedition was the tool of choice. With various layers.

Neither shearling nor synthetics came close. Just MHO
Noted, thanks. I already have a down parka, which is 12 years old.

Stand By

One Too Many
Montreal winters are worse than ours. Your snow banks are crazy and monstrously huge!
I’d opt for a B3 and C3 myself. Or an Irvin or ANJ-4. Fleece up!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112