Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which leather for an Aero Premier Halfbelt?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm thinking of getting an Aero Premier Halfbelt because it's the closest in pattern to my Ridley.

The question would be, which leather will it be best?

I can well imagine:
Vicenza dark seal
Jerky (High Grain) seal
Kelpie brown or dark green (my LL is already green)
Chromexcel steerhide brown

I would currently tend towards CXSH or Vicenza.
CXSH because I don't have Chromexcel at the moment, Vicenza because I like it very much on my Ridley. In addition, I can imagine that in dark seal well with a halfbelt.

But a few additional thoughts to catch up do not hurt ;-)

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't entirely rule out the CXL steer for this one as it's a one-piece back (it's such a hefty hide, for anything with action pleats and such it has its limitations), though personally I think a Vicenza or a goat or something of that sort of medium weight would be a better one for this style of jacket, and leave the heftier stuff for a bike jacket style.

Observe

One Too Many
I tried an ANJ-3 from Aero in Brown Kelpie HH and I was not very impressed with it. I found the hide to be rather flat and lifeless in person.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I'm thinking of getting an Aero Premier Halfbelt because it's the closest in pattern to my Ridley.

The question would be, which leather will it be best?

I can well imagine:
Vicenza dark seal
Jerky (High Grain) seal
Kelpie brown or dark green (my LL is already green)
Chromexcel steerhide brown

I would currently tend towards CXSH or Vicenza.
CXSH because I don't have Chromexcel at the moment, Vicenza because I like it very much on my Ridley. In addition, I can imagine that in dark seal well with a halfbelt.

But a few additional thoughts to catch up do not hurt ;-)
Badalassi would be my suggestion - in my view it is by far the nicest leather Aero offer and would work v nicely in this style….

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Second vote on the Badalassi. On the tight patterns they work wonders. Like goatskin they stretch and molds but feels dense at the same time. The only drawback is the squeak.

I think the CXL SH is between 4oz to 5oz. In theory if they are thinned down to closer to 3oz / 3.5oz they would be the same as Badalassi but no squeak.

MrProper

Thank you all so far.
Perhaps still to mention that I would take if, the PHB then without pleats on the back.
However, I also already had the fear that CXSH could be too thick for this jacket.
Whether CXFQHH would be better?
But Vicenza Dark Seal would be my preference at the moment then.
Badalassi I just heard that this is not necessarily low noise and therefore I would rather not take.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Perfect. Many thanks.
Would you still buy this model today in FQHH? What are your experiences in the meantime?
In truth, perhaps my considerations are not totally applicable to the users of this forum, and I try to explain why. I own many jackets and coats made with different materials: wool, synthetic materials, suitable for every season of the year, so I would buy 1000 times the leather jackets I bought, precisely because they do not represent my need, but because I like them as they are.
As for my experience with the Premier Half Belt, I chose cxlfqhh leather based on the samples that Aeroleather sent me. I am Italian from Napoli, and I have to be honest: I would not have chosen Vicenza leather even for patriotic spirit.
Vicenza seemed to me too uniform in appearance and too thin in thickness. It also gave me an impression of synthetic material. Obviously it is my superficial impression touching a small sample, but I liked much more the leather I chose, and in fact my finished jacket is beautiful in terms of patina, and very solid.
Obviously it's not a jacket I wear often, so the (tiring) process of breaking in is not a problem for me. If I can give you some advice I would consider the 1930's Half Belt model, which has lower armpits, and therefore more comfortable.
Another tip that I would like to give you is to consider jerky horsehide leather (I own an A2 Bronco jacket in jerky HH) and in my opinion it is a very underrated material: the leather is soft but with a fair thickness, and the grain is really very beautiful and varied.
I hope I've been helpful.
Hello.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I have a PHB in black Vincenza and a Sheene in CXL. I wouldn’t want the premier pattern in any heavier leather than Vincenza, with the exception of Seal Jerky HH.
That leather would be my choice if I had to order one, it’s a very underrated leather and with more character than Seal Vincenza, which I’ve handled, liked and it a lot, but I would still choose Seal Jerky HH over it.
I really like the way it ages and shows a lighter brown base.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Maybe one additional
Question: Does anyone know how big the front drop is on the PHB?
Mine has a 25” back with a 1 & 1/2” front drop and I think it’s my best fitting jacket and the one I always tend to pick as a grab and go.
My particular batch of black Vincenza is very similar to Shinki, it’s thick but way more comfortable than black CXLHH, which I love but it’s a pain to wear in my climate.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have the PHB in chocolate brown CXL HH, and it used to be my favourite jacket for a long time. It´s been made from the older, very heavy batches too. I have since turned to more midweight leathers (as many have), but I still think you need a heavy one in your stable. I sure still enjoy the CXL jackets I have.

As @ton312 pointed out, diligent sizing is important as the premier pattern is restrictive in the shoulder/arms region, and CXL only adds to that. E.G., I could well see you go for a size 46 that tapers down to a 42.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
An afterthought on Badalassi. It’s without a doubt a spectacular hide, but something always irritates me. I find it borderline „fake“, as if it’s not really leather at all.

Trying to explain: It has a somewhat spongy feel that mixes oddly with the sort of plasticky, very shiny topcoat that doesn’t seem to go away even when worn hard. The hide is very pliable, adopts to your body really quickly, but then again forms pretty hard and permanent creases.

Much has been said about the squeak. Like a rubber duck that’s being strangled.

I don’t want to be negative about Badalassi. It’s a great leather. It just wouldn’t be my first choice for a quintessential work-jacket as a HB.

MrProper

In truth, perhaps my considerations are not totally applicable to the users of this forum, and I try to explain why. I own many jackets and coats made with different materials: wool, synthetic materials, suitable for every season of the year, so I would buy 1000 times the leather jackets I bought, precisely because they do not represent my need, but because I like them as they are.
As for my experience with the Premier Half Belt, I chose cxlfqhh leather based on the samples that Aeroleather sent me. I am Italian from Napoli, and I have to be honest: I would not have chosen Vicenza leather even for patriotic spirit.
Vicenza seemed to me too uniform in appearance and too thin in thickness. It also gave me an impression of synthetic material. Obviously it is my superficial impression touching a small sample, but I liked much more the leather I chose, and in fact my finished jacket is beautiful in terms of patina, and very solid.
Obviously it's not a jacket I wear often, so the (tiring) process of breaking in is not a problem for me. If I can give you some advice I would consider the 1930's Half Belt model, which has lower armpits, and therefore more comfortable.
Another tip that I would like to give you is to consider jerky horsehide leather (I own an A2 Bronco jacket in jerky HH) and in my opinion it is a very underrated material: the leather is soft but with a fair thickness, and the grain is really very beautiful and varied.
I hope I've been helpful.
Hello.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Premier vs. normal 1930 HB... I asked Aero which pattern was closest to my Ridley. Of course, the Bordracer was mentioned immediately. On inquiry, which halfbelt, then came that the Premier HB comes closest to it.
With appropriate tapering will probably also work the normal 1930 HB.
After I am narrow and long, premium will certainly fit.
From the jerky HH I have already read some good. Monitor had long mentioned it is an underrated skin. Maybe I should take a chance, although dark seal Vicenza appeals to me more visually. I already have a blackened brown Vicenza and would order a jacket from this hide again and again.

Actually, I thought if I buy an Aero again, it will certainly be a tumbled CXL and now I'm waffling again. Lol

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Premier vs. normal 1930 HB... I asked Aero which pattern was closest to my Ridley. Of course, the Bordracer was mentioned immediately. On inquiry, which halfbelt, then came that the Premier HB comes closest to it.
With appropriate tapering will probably also work the normal 1930 HB.
After I am narrow and long, premium will certainly fit.
From the jerky HH I have already read some good. Monitor had long mentioned it is an underrated skin. Maybe I should take a chance, although dark seal Vicenza appeals to me more visually. I already have a blackened brown Vicenza and would order a jacket from this hide again and again.

Actually, I thought if I buy an Aero again, it will certainly be a tumbled CXL and now I'm waffling again. Lol
You have so many nice and similar jackets... why not something else entirely in terms of cut and leather?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff