Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which leather for an Aero Premier Halfbelt?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Not trying to derail this thread. But Badalassi is worth the effort.

I used mink oil that was available at my local cobbler. Saphier makes real nice ones in glass jars but my guy doesn't stock them. Get that if you can, French polish are worth the extra few bucks for the glass jar alone.

I used very little. Less than what I would spread butter on my toast. The tub I have is 3oz, there is still about 2/3 left. And I've used it on about 8 to 10 jackets. I also use mink oil to break in my CXL if that matters. So less is more.

Also I used to just rub this stuff on the big surface areas like sleeves and panels. I've found that is uneccesary as the squeak mostly comes from the seams. That's why I had to polish off the matt mink oil layer on the sleeves and body like I do with boots. Most of my Badalssi jacket has cuffs, there are at least 20" of linear seams on each cuff, that and the arm holes is where most of the sounds comes from.

It won't be dead silent. But immediately you can notice a 70% drop in squeak.

And with a light brush its shiny again.

IMG_7138.JPG

IMG_7139.JPG

roadking04

Practically Family
It won't be dead silent. But immediately you can notice a 70% drop in squeak.

Sounds promising. I put some Vanson conditioner on my heavy CXLHH from JL. It was quiet for about a month then it started to get noisier. I was going to recondition it for the fall weather.

Hopefully the noise stays away. I am not even sure what is in the Vanson stuff. lol. Please keep us posted.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The moleskin will be more moth-resistant, if that matters. IME, it's also warmer than most lighter linings; for me, it would take the blanket wool lining to be warmer than moleskin. The latter is surprisingly warn for its weight; when I had my Bootlegger made in 2010, it came with moleskin-lined sleeves - I had not specced any sleeve lining specifically, just the tartan wool body. The sleeve moleskin made it noticeably warmer on the arms than the drill in other jackets, indeed, I was about to wear some of the others for a few weeks more into the warmer end of the year than the Bootlegger because of that (and, in the reverse, the Bootlegger longer into the cooler weather in early Winter).

Yes, I have pants in moleskin, they are super-warm.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Sounds promising. I put some Vanson conditioner on my heavy CXLHH from JL. It was quiet for about a month then it started to get noisier. I was going to recondition it for the fall weather.

Hopefully the noise stays away. I am not even sure what is in the Vanson stuff. lol. Please keep us posted.
I think it would work the same, leather conditioner or mink oil. My squeaks mainly came from the seams and joints. At first I just spread it on the sleeves and other large surface areas, but there were still squeaks and were coming from the cuff seams and armpit seams and back of neck seams. Once I did those seams it was all good. I think the thicker leather just has too much frictions at those thick seams. But the mink oil or any conditioner I think at those spots does the trick. The large surface panels doesn't make much sounds so no need to over work like I did. haha.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Interesting tip. Does the lotion leave any residue or alter the appearance or hand of the leather by any significant amount?
It has not altered the colour of my jackets - I have used it on russet, tobacco and black hides - it does feel a little tacky when first applied but that easily buffs out to restore the original sheen - note this is lotion and not the thicker mink oil products - I cannot tell, apart from the lack of squeaking, the difference between the before and after of application tbh.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have any of you received a response by mail from aero in the last few days? I had asked a few questions about leather before I order, but so far no response.
Asked about chestnut badalassi etc.
Well, will follow up again tomorrow.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Have any of you received a response by mail from aero in the last few days? I had asked a few questions about leather before I order, but so far no response.

Have you tried messaging Julie on IG? She is super helpful and responds quickly, though obviously looks at things from the perspective of the artisan and not sales or production.

Last edited:

Observe

Practically Family

I submitted an order on Thursday night along with some questions, heard back early Friday, sent another question, nothing since then.

I know you don't want goat but here is my HB in goat.......the most comfortable travelling jacket I have ever had. I specced mine slightly longer with just slit pockets on the side. I love this thing.

https://private.fotki.com/Steven65/my-first-album/dsc01724.html] [/URL]

https://private.fotki.com/Steven65/my-first-album/dsc01733.html] [/URL]

Thanks for the pics of the goat. I'm ordering a jacket in black goat and it looks quite nice.

MrProper

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You can tag them here. Sometimes mail end up in spam box for no reason. You’d keep waiting but they never got the msg. DMs are much better.

I know you don't want goat but here is my HB in goat.......the most comfortable travelling jacket I have ever had. I specced mine slightly longer with just slit pockets on the side. I love this thing.

https://private.fotki.com/Steven65/my-first-album/dsc01724.html] [/URL]

https://private.fotki.com/Steven65/my-first-album/dsc01733.html] [/URL]
Nice goat. I’m shooting for one before the sale ends. Best leather for everyday use really. G(reatest) O(f) A(ll) T(ime)

MrProper

According to the motto "What do I care about my chitchat from yesterday?", the choice is now made.
It will be Chestnut Badalassi with nickel universal zipper, chainball loop, Lochcarron tartan, without pleats at the back.
Only the color of the thread I do not know yet. I haven't seen many pictures of the Cestnut, but on them it was always olive.
Probably brown or cream will not be bad either?

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I'd just like to add in, apologies for some delay with replies. We only work a half day on a Friday, so especially emails coming in Friday afternoon/over the weekend we need a little time. We are only a small family business and are dealing with a high volume of enquiries and emails at the moment - a good problem to have, but it does take us some time to get throught them. Sometimes we need to reach out to colleagues before getting back and as the factory is now at our busiest time of the year, a little patience is appreciated. Of course, please send us a follow up mail if you feel you've been waiting too long but I would urge you to try this first before DMing any staff on social media etc. Email is far easier to handle business through.

Thanks for everyone's patience, this last week or two has been busier than ever with some staff off on holiday, finally able to take time off after the launch of the site so we'll hopefully be back up to our usual repsonse time shortly :)

Holly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ