Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which leather...

Mark

Practically Family
Hi, currently saving my pennies for an Aero Royale. Of course I am enjoying the process and I am now at the stage of deciding which leather to go for. It must be a shade of russet and needs to be a mid weight hide. Very much torn between the Goat suede, Vicenza and the new lighter cx horse. Regular goat and Jerky are also there but a little behind the first three choices. The suede is top of my list, it just looks so rich and gorgeous, but I have the common concerns as to how it will fare day to day in terms of stain resistance/marks. The Vicenza is much praised and does have a wonderful depth of color to it but at the same time seems a little dull to me. The yet to be released cx lighter horse I know little about. It does look like it will patina nicely and is likely to be easier to wear. What are your thoughts and any pics would be useful, particularly the suede of which I can only find on the Majestic.
Thanks

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm also very tempted by the suede, e.g. for a trucker jacket.
But I'm afraid you shouldn’t be too fussy about stains.
If I understood correctly, @ton312 sold his because of stain panic.
I only know Vicenza as Blackened Brown, which I would buy again any time.

Mark

Practically Family
Stain panic, good way of putting it. Being a bit ocd I may rethink the suede. Thanks.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Ha ha this time I've come prepared!
Popcorn.gif

Will it be goat, will it be cow or horse que sera sera...
CXL, Vicenza or Shinki que sera sera...

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Cognac Pinnacle , would work great. The Royale only works right with a leather that has an element of drape. Chromexcel isn't an option on this style. Battered Steerhide is also another very good option for the style.
Also for clarification the "lighter weight" Chromexcel isn't a new offering it was simply a case of we had a couple of batches that came through light , we hadn't specified it. Our specifications to Horween remain unchanged.
We can however with orders ask cutters to choose lightest possible skins , these will be selcted from what ever batch we currently have in.

Mark

Practically Family
Cognac Pinnacle , would work great. The Royale only works right with a leather that has an element of drape. Chromexcel isn't an option on this style. Battered Steerhide is also another very good option for the style.
Also for clarification the "lighter weight" Chromexcel isn't a new offering it was simply a case of we had a couple of batches that came through light , we hadn't specified it. Our specifications to Horween remain unchanged.
We can however with orders ask cutters to choose lightest possible skins , these will be selcted from what ever batch we currently have in.
Thanks for that. I was referring to the new Pinnacle leather, just could not recall the name.

Indeed it was. I loved that jacket to absolute death but I was so constantly aware of my surroundings in it. Even in the car with my drinks....I'm sure I was overly paranoid. If I were to go with any rough out suede again, I would go with dark brown.

MrProper

Indeed it was. I loved that jacket to absolute death but I was so constantly aware of my surroundings in it. Even in the car with my drinks....I'm sure I was overly paranoid. If I were to go with any rough out suede again, I would go with dark brown.
I think it depends on the style of the jacket. A trucker or café racer may have a few spots without it being dramatic. Halfbelt & co maybe less.
I used to have a light suede trucker and didn't spare it. Looked good.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Hi, currently saving my pennies for an Aero Royale. Of course I am enjoying the process and I am now at the stage of deciding which leather to go for. It must be a shade of russet and needs to be a mid weight hide. Very much torn between the Goat suede, Vicenza and the new lighter cx horse. Regular goat and Jerky are also there but a little behind the first three choices. The suede is top of my list, it just looks so rich and gorgeous, but I have the common concerns as to how it will fare day to day in terms of stain resistance/marks. The Vicenza is much praised and does have a wonderful depth of color to it but at the same time seems a little dull to me. The yet to be released cx lighter horse I know little about. It does look like it will patina nicely and is likely to be easier to wear. What are your thoughts and any pics would be useful, particularly the suede of which I can only find on the Majestic.
Thanks
Battered steerhide?

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I have a Maxwell in the chocolate brown goat suede - well worth thinking about if worried about stains on the paler hides….

ProteinNerd

Go the suede, you just need an interesting lining for when it rains ....

be2b73c7-c597-40c4-afae-e9d92afe288c_text.gif

but on a serious note, I like the weight and initial feel of the Vicenza but tbh, I don't like the way it ages, its a bit dull compared to how other leathers age imo. Go with something else.

Mark

Practically Family
Go the suede, you just need an interesting lining for when it rains ....

View attachment 514765

but on a serious note, I like the weight and initial feel of the Vicenza but tbh, I don't like the way it ages, its a bit dull compared to how other leathers age imo. Go with something else.
I have heard enough to persuad me to rule out the suede, as for the Vicenza, even though I have never owned a jacket in this, it looks a bit uniform and as you say dull. Likely go for Aero's new Pinnacle leather. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner