Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which one is better,aero or alexander

edqc

New in Town
hello everybody
i am a beginner far from Shanghai,China. I love vintage style leather jacket,so i decided to buy one stockman jacket
from Aero at the first time. Horween FQHH which really attracts me a lot , but most of the horsehide is very stiff and heavy, i know
it is a tough process to break in . My condition is to buy a everyday wear jacket not a piece of collection so i concern very much about
the FQHH stockman.Although i noticed that the aero jackets are vintage fit which means may not fits most of the asain peeps like me.
Alexander claims they make vintage style but modern slim fit jacket . To compare both, it 's a dilemma for me to choose
my ideal jacket is supple,slim fit but Horween hides finished drives me crazy. Should i go for goatskin?? most of them is supple. can
anybody give me some advises?? Thanks a lot

pipvh

Practically Family
Hi edqc,

FQHH is heavy stuff. It also takes a while to break in and you'll feel like you are wearing armour for days/weeks/months depending on how often you wear the jacket. I had an Aero FQHH half-belt which I wore for years and it never quite lost that feeling (which I liked, but still...). Again, it is heavy and will be hot to wear when the weather is even a bit warm. Goat is substantially lighter and is supple straight out of the box. It can also look amazing. Personally - bearing in mind I don't live in sub-tropical Shanghai but in temperate northern Europe - I wouldn't rush into buying another FQHH jacket. The Stockman is long and you'll be carrying a lot of leather. Why not go for something trimmer like the Mulligan in goat?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Actually the so called vintage fit will probably fit a slimmer Asian frame better. While Alexander's 'modern fit' is more aimed at the bigger/fatter modern westerner.

In reality the shape of the jackets is much the same but ALs sizes run a little truer to normal shop sizes than Aero depending on the style. It is a bit confusing and it's not helped by Aero not really being willing to say what the measurements of their standard models are. They just tell you to give them your measurements and they'll do the rest. Personally I prefer to know exactly what all the major measurements of a jacket are going to be. Because if they are done correctly then I know it will fit me; and I know exactly what measurements do fit me.

The main selling point of Aero is the Horween FQHH so if you don't want that you might be better with AL. They have a much shorter waiting time too. They also have a very good ordering box where you can choose some measurements from a drop down menu. You can alter the shoulders to your size for instance, while with Aero the basic jacket size you order will have that measurement fixed and only body and sleeve length will be altered. AL will modify a jacket to your taste too. While Aero will do only minor mods if that.

I would ask both for leather samples and take it from there.

I can't quite work out if you do want the Horween FQHH or not. If you do then you have no choice anyway. If not you do. Both have very good goatskin, and I doubt there's anything to choose between them in that regard.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've had an Aero 1930's halfbelt and Alexander of the same basic design. Almost identical quality wise, since Aero staff now work at Alexanders. Not being a fan of FQHH I can only talk about patterns and quality. I'd put the Alexander just slightly ahead of the Aero in terms of quality and pattern. But I have to say I'm not a fan of Alexander or Aero patterns in general and really only like the half-belt pattern. I'm almost able to contemplate a Highwayman but the fancier the pattern, the more pockets or buttons or zips - forget it. Personal taste.

Dav

One Too Many
I don't think Aero make a Stockman in goat anymore, they said the goat hides they are now getting aren't big enough for the longer style jackets.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
While Alexander's 'modern fit' is more aimed at the bigger/fatter modern westerner.
I'm not sure that this is the case. AL do some modern designs that are very different from the vintage styled jackets but the sizing does not seem overly generous. I have a Roadster and at the same stock size as an Aero Highwayman, it felt almost the same but maybe slightly more snug fitting. I am sure others here have said it is a good idea to size up one size for AL.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Can I also add that I have had both brands and see no difference in quality between the two. I have to say a thread title of 'which one is better, aero or alexander ' is a dangerous thing round here. There are some strong opinions.

My advice to edqc would be to try a mid weight horse maybe.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I HAVE NO BIAS HERE( I have both and like them both)

I have to say I disagree with the concensus that AL jackets fit larger that Aero .... I have both in various similar models and I'd suggest that AL run slightly trimmer and a little truer to "actual" size.

- A 44" Aero Vest De Rally fits like a 46" AL Lavant std. jacket .... a 44" AL Lavant is sizes very close to a 42" Aero.
- A 44" Aero 1950's halfbelt is about a size larger ( 2" chest and 1" shoulders) than an AL 44" halfbelt ( don't have the 1930's one)
- A 42" Aero halfbelt deluxe is almost identical (+/- 1/4") in dimension to an AL Drifter in a 46"
- A 42" Aero Highwayman is almost identical (+/- 1/4") in dimensions to a 44" AL Roadster
- A 42" Aero Barnstormer is almost identical (+/- 1/4") in dimensions to a 44" AL Montana

( these are all that I have that I can offer a direct comparison on style for style )

In terms of quality there is little to choose between ( which is no surprise ) ... I can't comment on current Aero as most of my Aero's (80%) were procured from ebay and from the classifieds on here and elsewhere .......... I only have 1 "New Aero" jacket and I have nothing similar from AL to compare it to, nor do I have an "Old Aero" in this style.

I believe the "New Aero" jackets may run truer to size / neater .... also bear in mind that MY true to size is probably 4 sizes too large for most on here :D

For the purposes of comparison, here are the measurements on a 42" Aero Highwayman vs a 44" AL Roadster

Aero (2004) AL (2013)

Shoulder (seam- seam) 19" 19"
Pit - Pit (at pit level) 24 1/4" 24"
Shoulder Seam - Cuff 25" 25"
Pit - Cuff 16 3/4" 17"
Back ( collar base - bottom of jacket) 25" 25"

I also wouldn't discount Bill Kelso who run equally true to size ( although I only have two G-1 style jackets to compare and no longer own an Aero G-1 style jacket so I am going from memory)

Price wise the AL jackets are around 30% cheaper than Aero and they offer significantly more customisation.

Aero offer many more syles than AL and a much more authentic 20's and 30's design (IMHO).

Both offer a wide variety of hides in Horsehide, Steerhide, Goat, Buffalo, Kudu, Bison and various others .... both from identical and different tanneries ( the Aero and AL offerings from Horween are slightly different colours in Cherry / Burgundy / Cordovan and Brown coulour ways ... both are unique to that jacket manufacturer I believe i.e. the Aero colourways are not available from AL and vice versa .. with the exception of the BLACK :D).

HTH

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
I have to say this goes also against my principals and see this thread as either a troll or so naive it should be resisted by members, read bro is my answer - I'm out.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
IBTL... The thread title... BIG problem... but the actual information the guy/gal is lookin' for makes a lot of sense. He'd/She'd like a quality jacket of Horween HH that won't be too heavy, too stiff and not fit like a tent on an asian frame. Me being as large as a tank and having limited experience with both companies (3 Aeros... 1 AL) I can't really advise him or her correctly. I think Plumbline did a masterful job and I hope the OP finds what they want and then comes back to share.

Worf

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I HAVE NO BIAS HERE( I have both and like them both)

I have to say I disagree with the concensus that AL jackets fit larger that Aero .... I have both in various similar models and I'd suggest that AL run slightly trimmer and a little truer to "actual" size.

- A 44" Aero Vest De Rally fits like a 46" AL Lavant std. jacket .... a 44" AL Lavant is sizes very close to a 42" Aero.
- A 44" Aero 1950's halfbelt is about a size larger ( 2" chest and 1" shoulders) than an AL 44" halfbelt ( don't have the 1930's one)
- A 42" Aero halfbelt deluxe is almost identical (+/- 1/4") in dimension to an AL Drifter in a 46"
- A 42" Aero Highwayman is almost identical (+/- 1/4") in dimensions to a 44" AL Roadster
- A 42" Aero Barnstormer is almost identical (+/- 1/4") in dimensions to a 44" AL Montana

( these are all that I have that I can offer a direct comparison on style for style )

In terms of quality there is little to choose between ( which is no surprise ) ... I can't comment on current Aero as most of my Aero's (80%) were procured from ebay and from the classifieds on here and elsewhere .......... I only have 1 "New Aero" jacket and I have nothing similar from AL to compare it to, nor do I have an "Old Aero" in this style.

I believe the "New Aero" jackets may run truer to size / neater .... also bear in mind that MY true to size is probably 4 sizes too large for most on here :D

For the purposes of comparison, here are the measurements on a 42" Aero Highwayman vs a 44" AL Roadster

Aero (2004) AL (2013)

Shoulder (seam- seam) 19" 19"
Pit - Pit (at pit level) 24 1/4" 24"
Shoulder Seam - Cuff 25" 25"
Pit - Cuff 16 3/4" 17"
Back ( collar base - bottom of jacket) 25" 25"

I also wouldn't discount Bill Kelso who run equally true to size ( although I only have two G-1 style jackets to compare and no longer own an Aero G-1 style jacket so I am going from memory)

Price wise the AL jackets are around 30% cheaper than Aero and they offer significantly more customisation.

Aero offer many more syles than AL and a much more authentic 20's and 30's design (IMHO).

Both offer a wide variety of hides in Horsehide, Steerhide, Goat, Buffalo, Kudu, Bison and various others .... both from identical and different tanneries ( the Aero and AL offerings from Horween are slightly different colours in Cherry / Burgundy / Cordovan and Brown coulour ways ... both are unique to that jacket manufacturer I believe i.e. the Aero colourways are not available from AL and vice versa .. with the exception of the BLACK :D).

HTH

Yes that's my experience, a 42 Aero is about the same as a 44 AL. It's AL who say they are sizing for a modern fit while I wrote that they run truer to shop sizes in the ones I have from both.

As to whether this thread is kosher or not, the OP is Chinese and so English is not his first language. So allowances should be made for that and for him asking what some might think is a stupid question. Not that I think asking the weight of a jacket is stupid. Also for not knowing some of the history and asking for comparisons. Anyway why not compare the two makers? Plenty of people compare other jacket manufactures without excess rancour.

AL is here now and covering your ears and shouting blah blah blah isn't going to make it go away.

winterland1

Practically Family
hello everybody
i am a beginner far from Shanghai,China. I love vintage style leather jacket,so i decided to buy one stockman jacket
from Aero at the first time. Horween FQHH which really attracts me a lot , but most of the horsehide is very stiff and heavy, i know
it is a tough process to break in . My condition is to buy a everyday wear jacket not a piece of collection so i concern very much about
the FQHH stockman.Although i noticed that the aero jackets are vintage fit which means may not fits most of the asain peeps like me.
Alexander claims they make vintage style but modern slim fit jacket . To compare both, it 's a dilemma for me to choose
my ideal jacket is supple,slim fit but Horween hides finished drives me crazy. Should i go for goatskin?? most of them is supple. can
anybody give me some advises?? Thanks a lot

At this point I don't think either is better. For what you're looking for the Alexander Leathers might be better.
I believe they are a little trimmer fit. It also depends on what jacket design you get as some are made to be slimmer, some made to give more room.
I would say a Roadster in Steer would be good for what you're looking for. It is a trim fit.
I have one and the leather is very substantial, but it is not stiff.
As far as fit, measure a jacket you like the fit of and apply those measurements to your new jacket.

I am sure an Aero sized correctly with a softer leather would work for you also.

I only have experience ordering new an Alexander Leathers so that is what I know.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
... He'd/She'd like a quality jacket of Horween HH that won't be too heavy, too stiff and not fit like a tent on an asian frame...

That jacket does not exist...Horween HH is heavy & always will be. A new one will start out too stiff & take considerable amount of time to be less stiff but still will be stiff for years...no comment on a fitting an Asian frame. Going off my 2 Aeros & 1 AL, they seem to fit my Western torso fine. Best of luck with your quest...

Edward

Bartender
I suppose it's all storses for courses, but I've never quite understood the fixation on weight.... I've never tried on a jacket and thought "Oh, no, too heavy"... but to be fair, I like my leather pretty tough. I wouldn't even consider lamb for a jacket for myself, so.

Re Aero giving out measurements.... I've always found a polite email is followed by a ready and helpful response with a set of spec measurements, though they will give those with the proviso that the nature of the raw materials mean they may vary by half an inch. Which seems fair enough, really. [huh]

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
my ideal jacket is supple,slim fit but Horween hides finished drives me crazy. Should i go for goatskin?? most of them is supple. can anybody give me some advises?? Thanks a lot

Horween makes a several different leathers. The Horween Chromexcel (see link) is typically associated with Aero's unique look and buying an Aero jacket is your best option for it. The FQHH and Steerhide options are both very stiff and heavy but a tumbled version is available that will make the leather much less stiff. The only potential downfall of tumbling is that it slightly lightens the color of the leather and will slightly reduce the ability of the leather to crease and achieve rich variations in color of an untumbled hide. I guess 20 years of wear will make standard FQHH = tumbled FQHH in this regard. I own both standard FQHH and tumbled FQHH and find the tumbled hide is more comfortable to wear.

Plumbline - your post is appreciated and full of excellent information on Alexander vs Aero. Thank you for your jacket addiction and attention to details. Horween's CXL FQHH is probably the only decision point here and the fact that Alexander is more willing to accommodate major modifications to their jackets.

Different Horween leathers are also available from Johnson Leathers (see this thread) and Lost Worlds in New York, USA (see link). Lost Worlds has many of the classic designs that Aero Leathers and Alexander offer and their construction quality is superb. Lost Worlds uses a spray finished Horween Horsehide and it is very stiff and will retain its appearance for years. You may or may not want a super durable finish. The Lost Worlds leather does achieve a unique creasing and grain but Patina (darkening of the leather with age) and Wear (lightening of the leather with age) will probably not happen in the first decade you own the jacket - if ever.

I own a vegetable tanned Aero goat skin Halfbelt and its stiffer than my tumbled brown FQHH Aero Cheyenne. I also own a Langlitz dark brown goat Crescent (Cafe Racer). This is my favorite goat skin by far for durability and comfort but it will never develop a patina although it has creased and grained nicely. Langlitz (website) is located in Portland, Oregon, USA but the best listing of their options can be found at the Langlitz Japan (website). Langlitz does most of their business in Asia so they will be a good option for you if you'd like to highly customize a jacket in their range.

Bill Kelso, Goodwear Leather Clothing, Gibson & Barnes, Buzz Rickson, Eastman, and other companies are popular around the Lounge so use the search function and check out your options and others opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran