Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which one is better,aero or alexander

sshack

A-List Customer
... It is a bit confusing and it's not helped by Aero not really being willing to say what the measurements of their standard models are. They just tell you to give them your measurements and they'll do the rest. Personally I prefer to know exactly what all the major measurements of a jacket are going to be. Because if they are done correctly then I know it will fit me; and I know exactly what measurements do fit me.

I've had this experience as well... it's not as if measurements are a trade secret, right? It was strange to say the least.

edqc

New in Town
Thanks for everybody's advises, i have to say i am not only getting advised here but also improving my english
maybe i should go for AL for the goat skin for everyday's wear jacket,but quite confusing the price . The AL is
almost the same as AERO ......I do not know if it is worth it

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ill throw in my 2 cents but it will probably repeat what Plumbline said.

Currently I have 2 Aeros and 2 Alexanders, in my layman's opinion and against what a lot of people probably want to hear, the quality is the same. Both supply great jackets. IMO most people (including me) would probably not be able to tell the difference between the 2, which makes sense with the number of ex-Aero employees now at AL.

Alexander are more open to customising, are less expensive and have shorter waiting times but don't have FQHH.

Aero have a larger base selection of styles but aren't into too much customising these days and obviously do have FQHH but you will wait longer.

As for fitting a smaller asian guy...aren't Aero big in the Japanese market? Surely they must have the ability to slim down jackets to accommodate that segment? I don't recall anyone recommending the Jerky horse either....great option for a lighter weight jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for everybody's advises, i have to say i am not only getting advised here but also improving my english
maybe i should go for AL for the goat skin for everyday's wear jacket,but quite confusing the price . The AL is
almost the same as AERO ......I do not know if it is worth it
You'll be very happy. Their goat is fantastic. It will still take some breaking in.

mihai

A-List Customer
Which of the two companies is more accurate when it comes to military reproductions?
Anybody got Alexandrer Leathers B-3?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
AL used to produce a version of Aero's old Irvin but stopped recently. Aero's new model, in terms of fleece and arm shape are much more accurate.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Alexanders B3, on their web page appears to be a 'Redskin' colour. The zip tape is also covered on both sides which is not historically accurate. Eastman used to do this version zip tape also but have dropped this option I believe. To be honest, the covered tape does look better but if you wish for historical accuracy it is wrong.
The B3 is a great style jacket, I have an Eastman Roughwear version 'Redskin' that must be pushing 15 years old. It is a great jacket but the surface cracks up unlike originals, though I believe this is also a problem encountered with all companies repros. If I am wrong on this Show me Show me, I want one:cool:
J

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
In terms of fit; Aero will make some allowances for height and length and such, but they are sticking to standard sizing for the most part. I have an Aero made by one of artisans that now works at Alexander, and another Aero that just arrived this week. I found the fit for both to be pretty consistent with each other (both size 40).

Brettafett

One Too Many
Don't think I'd choose AL if I wanted an accurate military repo. Others here will know more than me about Aero accuracy. Not into military stuff myself.

Neither for very 'accurate' Military jackets, however close enough for most of us (although their 2013 A-2s are showing some uncharacteristic issues, ie offset collars and off centre labels, hope this changes).
Both for quality and customer service.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
No experience with AL but very happy with Aero, IF you get the fit right and that's a major challenge. You can't compare the sizes they state as it all depends on the model. My Aero café racer is a labeled as a size 38 and is true to size, otoh I own a half belt deluxe that's at least a full size too large, even allowing for some extra room. Go with actual measurements, it's the only way. The coats tend to be way oversized so pay particular attention there and make sure you know what you're getting into. FQHH is like wearing armour in the beginning and it takes a lot of time and effort to wear in. I like the gear I have in it but have to admit that the occasional switch to mid-weight steer is refreshing. Congratualations to plumbline for the AL/Aero comparison, very balanced.

On the military reproductions: I'm certainly no expert but would go neither with Aero nor with AL for those if you seek perfect accuracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot