Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which suits with which hats?

LTDAVIS

New in Town
I'm trying to find out which of my two hats goes best with my suits. I so far only have one suit, which is navy, with several jackets and pants that I'll pair together but only one suit. I just ordered a black, double breasted suit in the spirit of the 1930s and was hoping it's okay for my Tawny Fawn Federation IV to go with it since it's very 30s esque. Perhaps though my dark gray hairy fedora is better? Or maybe both work. I'm hoping all of you will be able to help me. I'm also thinking the fit and cut of these outfits might affect the pairing with hats. Hope the pictures help to show what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226-123928.png
    Screenshot_20230226-123928.png
    881.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Screenshot_20230226-123918.png
    Screenshot_20230226-123918.png
    898.1 KB · Views: 266

LTDAVIS

New in Town
I personally would only pair a grey (with black ribbon) or black hat with a black suit.

On another note, I don't think a black suit is all that versatile, and you'll most often be better served with a charcoal suit.
I needed a black suit for my church choir. But I do like charcoal.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You might find this former thread a help; https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/can-a-black-suit-go-with-a-grey-fedora.63934/ What you can do to give your 1930's black suit a lift is to have a set of brass buttons, like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/915674956/double-breasted-black-golden-button-mens Those buttons will give the jacket a blazer appearance then you could wear a contrasting silver grey pair of trousers will a similar coloured fedora.

It doesn't take much to change the buttons, although I do admit it can be something of a tedious task. But that way you have two uses for the same outfit. Food for thought!

LTDAVIS

New in Town
When it comes to pairing hats with suits, it's important to consider the overall style and aesthetic of the outfit. The dark gray hairy fedora may be a better match for your navy suit. The color of the hat can complement the navy color of the suit, while the texture of the hat can add visual interest to the outfit. Again, it's important to make sure that the fit and cut of the suit match the style of the hat.
Thanks for this! I ended up getting a new black suit and I must say...
FB_IMG_1679348965732.jpg

yosdidaedward

New in Town
I'm trying to find out which of my two hats goes best with my suits. I so far only have one suit, which is navy, with several jackets and pants that I'll pair together but only one suit. I just ordered a black, double breasted suit in the spirit of the 1930s and was hoping it's okay for my Tawny Fawn Federation IV to go with it since it's very 30s esque. Perhaps though my dark gray hairy fedora is better? Or maybe both work. I'm hoping all of you will be able to help me. I'm also thinking the fit and cut of these outfits might affect the pairing with hats. Hope the pictures help to show what I am talking about.
blue shade.. is the best

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I have a question. I have a Dobbs Golden Coach Homberg in Saber. It's a grey with a bit of a bluish hue to it. I'm looking to pair it with a navy single breasted blazer with gold buttons. What color tie, trouser and shoe would you recommend?

I have a question. I have a Dobbs Golden Coach Homberg in Saber. It's a grey with a bit of a bluish hue to it. I'm looking to pair it with a navy single breasted blazer with gold buttons. What color tie, trouser and shoe would you recommend?
Dress it up or dress it down. Dress version: grey dress pants, black shoes, light blue or white oxford cloth shirt, plain or university stripe or tattersall (tie or no tie). If you wear the plain shirt (no pattern) you can wear pretty much any tie you choose. I would opt for a classic regimental stripe....but you can add a big splash of colour as well....it is wide open.

Dressed down: Khaki or beige chinos and sub in a brown shoe,

Dress it down further blue jeans, same oxford cloth shirt (no tie) and a nice pair of black boots.

Dress it down even further subbing a white mock neck T instead of the oxford cloth shirt. Again nice boots or solid shoe. No running shoes (Nike et al)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch