Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which warm lining for a FQHH jacket?

samo

One of the Regulars
I suggest You to consider also cord lining? I do not have any experiences with alpaca, but cord is thicker and warmer as heavy weight tartan and it is not itchy.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The itchy-scratchy factor is an important one, but fwiw, I find that most high quality wool nowadays is pretty soft and not irritating, even at heavy weights.
As a child, being put in a woolly jumper was to be damned to a day of unending scratching. Thankfully, that seems to be a thing of the past.
Alpaca can go either way in terms of itching, but I understand that Aero's current one is very soft and easy to wear.

The burgundy Alpaca in my Stuart (purchased right before the Stuart was discontinued) is heavier and softer than earlier offerings in the brown color. Plus the regular weight dark brown Alpaca in my old Highwayman is thinner and rougher (?) than the regular weight heather brown Alpaca in my newer Bootlegger. I've never had trouble with wearing wool or itching, but I think you're right, Sloan, Aero's newer Alpaca wool has changed.

BootLegger...

Stuart...

Last edited:

the loco

One of the Regulars
I get allergies easily, wool causes me discomfort after an hour, alpaca in minutes. Alpaca is much warmer, though.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When sorting out the details of my latest order, Carrie said specifically the the new alpaca is only itchy if you have a specific allergy to wool.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Hi Unwissender,

if you want to be active in your jacket, I recommend a style that either is fitting rather lose for extra room for arm/shoulder movement such as the Highwayman. Highwayman with shearling is what I would probably go for with your needs or maybe the Longshoreman due to the useful when sitting extra length at the back.

Alternatively, you should go for designs with action back and or underarm gussets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland