Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which word for sweater do you prefer?

Hal

Practically Family
In general, "jumper" = UK, "sweater" = USA. Perhaps "pullover" is the word with the most general meaning on this island.
"Jumper" many years ago was a woman's garment in the UK but is now used for knitwear worn by both sexes. "Sweater vest" (USA) is an expression unknown in the UK; the garment is usually known as a short-sleeved pullover or slipover (UK). "Jersey" is old-fashioned usage for "jumper"; the word is of course the name of one of the Channel Islands on which a specific style was developed (as it also was on the island of Guernsey). Also, one normally talks of a cricket sweater and a rugby or a football jersey. It is complicated, and I am certainly generalising. People from other parts of the UK than I may well use different words.

ZootPsycho

New in Town
So many synonyms make searches so tedious... :)

Surprisingly in Spanish we don't have a word for them! We use loan words like 'jersey' (pronounced 'hersEi') or 'sueter' (adaptation of 'sweater'). In Seville they use the word 'chaleco' which in the rest of the country means 'vest' or 'waistcoat', that is an sleeveless garment.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Down here pretty much any heavy knit garment is called a sweater. Where I come from originally, this is also properly called a sweater

What about these sweaters? Wish they played like they used to.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Jumper for me here in the UK, and my Aussie wife would say the same. I do understand the other alternatives, though (whereas 'pants' for 'trousers' always makes me pause - 'pants' are underwear in the UK).

What is a sweater vest, though? I think it's a thing I'd call a tank top and associate inextricably with the 1970s.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Jumper for me here in the UK, and my Aussie wife would say the same. I do understand the other alternatives, though (whereas 'pants' for 'trousers' always makes me pause - 'pants' are underwear in the UK).

What is a sweater vest, though? I think it's a thing I'd call a tank top and associate inextricably with the 1970s.

It's basically a pullover sweater without arms,ala vest

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I wouldn't! Tank Top is far too American for this Brit. Sleeveless jumper, I've always known them as.

No offence meant to any American readers!

Gareth

I'm positive that you're not going to offend anyone it's only a thread about what name you prefer to call an item by,you want to get into posts that get people riled try the gun posts or proper vintage wear posts they're
always interesting.(haha)

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't! Tank Top is far too American for this Brit. Sleeveless jumper, I've always known them as.

No offence meant to any American readers!

Gareth

Really? When I was growing up in the 70s I definitely remember everyone calling them tank tops. Could have varied where you were in the UK, though.

ZootPsycho

New in Town
Weren't 'tank tops' the undershirts that males used to wear for swimming in water tanks up to the fifties or so? :confused:

Hal

Practically Family
I wouldn't! Tank Top is far too American for this Brit. Sleeveless jumper, I've always known them as. No offence meant to any American readers!
Gareth
Nor would I! Sleeveless pullover or slipover is the usual term.
DavidE - I mentioned that "sweater vest" was unknown in the UK in an earlier posting in this thread.
I don't know whether "tank top" is of American provenance - it is certainly a 1970s term for a sleeveless pullover shaped like a singlet, but on this island the sleeveless pullover long antedated the term.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
OK, to me (Australian) a vest is what Yanks are calling a "sweater vest", and a singlet is what yanks are calling a "tank top". Sometimes Brits call singlets "vests" just to increase the confusion.

What Yanks (and sometimes others) call "vests" are waistcoats. Easy way to determine what a waistcoat is: does it have buttons? It's a waistcoat. No buttons? Vest. Easy.

Yes, there are knitted garments that have button-up fronts; they're called cardigans and there's probably a correct name for a sleeveless cardy but it's not in my vocabulary and "sleeveless cardigan" seems to cover it well enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner