Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which would you choose?

persnick

Banned
Abbotts did not respond quick enough. I ended up ordering a Crombie greatcoat...but suspect I might get a bridge coat later.

While I was shopping I saw a few herringbone coats (poor quality though)...Does anyone know anything about herringbone tweed?

Is it a good fabric for winter coats, and who makes herringbone overcoats in a decent quality?

persnick

Banned
Something like this (just not so expensive)

http://www.20ltd.com/product/double-breasted-grey-herringbone-overcoat/

productimage-picture-double-breasted-grey-herringbone-overcoat-945_jpg_499x1000_q85.png

Graemsay

Practically Family
Also, does anyone about what this dashing fellow is wearing??

tumblr_lndy26HgHv1qdbw2yo1_500.jpg

That looks like the Gieves and Hawkes Admiral Coat in Cashmere. And if not, it's a very similar style.

If you've got a spare £750 (about $1200, but you'd avoid $200 of VAT) then go and order one up from the UK before they sell out of your size. Which is very likely as stocks are low, and they're currently half price in the January sale.

In answer to your original question, the Crombie is playing in a whole different league to the other pea coat. The Gieves and Hawkes piece, well, to paraphrase Vesper Lynd, there are coats and there are coats...

ghettoguy

New in Town
Check out armynavysales.com. Search British civil defense coat. These are brand new 100% wool below the knee black great coats manufactured 1950. They have some nice features like hook and loops for the color and hem and button on ghost guard for really foul weather. They are heavy wool (7lbs.) fitted. I would suggest stitching the buttons with new thread and backer buttons. At $200 not cheap but a good deal on a great coat.

ghettoguy

New in Town
PS Their website photos are horrible!!!! If I weren't so digitally challenged I'd post a pix from my phone (can you even do that?). If you drop me an email I can reply with a picture if it helps. The coat is quite similar to the second picture posted. Happy hunting.

pipvh

Practically Family
Another thumbs-up for the Civil Defence coat. Those were standard issue punk items back in the day and I went through a number of them. Excellent - really heavy, thick and surprisingly well shaped - that's a lot of vintage goodness for $199...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I have come close to ordering a Fidelity Bridge Coat more than once. I almost got one just last week, but found a great after-Xmas deal on a topcoat at my local Macy's (a nice single-breasted, charcoal London Fog - $99!) that satisfied my long wool coat craving!

I got my daughter a Fidelity pea coat a few years ago, and I thought the quality was excellent - pretty comparable to my own Sterlingwear, and the Schott pea coats I've handled.

The best prices I've found are at the Barre Army-Navy store (whom I've bought lots of stuff from in the last decade): http://www.vtarmynavy.com/bridge_coats.htm

The only other suggestion I would offer is that since pea coats (and their brother bridge coats) are NOT generously sized like overcoats, you should pay VERY close attention to Fidelity's size chart for the bridge coat when determining your size:

https://www.fidelitysportswear.biz/EZ/EZSizeComp.aspx
Too bad Fidelity only does Regular lengths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou