Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whippet - 7 5/8 Oval (on Ebay)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A month ago, I posted (unlinked) photos of a suit. Among my general comments about how nice it looked, I wrote:

?¢‚Ǩ?ìIf I knew a very good tailor, I would purchase this suit (no, it's not mine) and have him/her copy it in my size."

No mention of any auction. No mention of eBay. Certainly no link to an auction page.

Nonetheless, several Loungers quickly posted that I had ruined everyone's chances of winning the suit at a decent price.

The moral of this story: don't make any reference, indirect as it may be, to any eBay auction until that auction has ended. You'll save yourself (and others) some grief that way.

varga49

One of the Regulars
I've moved on to...

a few hats by Art!..Actually maybe several.....I'm beat down by the prices on ebay for the most part! JP why don't you go ahead and get that hat?!;)
...and for the record I've never announced ANY auctions!

JimD

New in Town
EBay bidding

I must be missing something; on several occasions I have seen one person bidding up the price of a hat, but do not see any other bids. I realize there is a statement that "automatic" bids will not be shown, however I have seen where the bidder has been the first one to start the bids. For an automatic bidding war to occur doesn't there have to be at least the first bid from a different person shown?

In this case "el barrito" bids up the price from $10 to 30.50 by himself. Here there are other bidders so maybe the automatic bidding is occurring, but I have seen numerous cases where there are no other bidders.

If in fact there is fake bidding war going on and everyone starts reporting it to EBay when it happens, then maybe the price of hats will stay realistic?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Don't know precisely what you've seen...

But, you may have observed auctions with a "reserve price" that's higher than the opening bid. (You have to be an eBay seller, I believe, to truly understand the various eBay options with respect to pricing.) The buyer in that case started out at the minimum bid and then entered subsequent bids in attempt to reach the seller's reserve price. NOW, if you observe an auction in which you see several sequential bids by the same bidder but the bid price remains STATIC, that indicates that the bidder is raising his/her "secret bid" in an attempt to protect his "winning" status in case additional bidders enter the picture.

The bottom line here? Watch a lot of eBay auctions and you will begin to decipher the patterns and bidding approaches. It will help you become a more successful eBay buyer (as will the use of a "sniping" program).

ZF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou