Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White distressing on tea core Shinki?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lol, I'd smack the dentures out of your mouth. Puhleeese.
Don't let this friendly-looking smile on my face fool you even one bit.
Is it possible that you are overreacting?
I have read through the thread again and I find nothing that justifies such a reaction.
Usually different opinions are exchanged in this forum without insults and threats of violence.
I don't know what exactly triggers you, but I think the reaction doesn't fit in this forum.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
hmm this place is going into different vibe.

mold usually grow in round spots, or group of round spots, when left alone it will have fur like texture, whatver it is you can mix 1/1 water+white vinegar pour a bit on a rag or old tshirt or wetwipe and wipe it off, if it shows again then wipe it off again several time until it stops showing, it is just leather jacket that small white stain either salt, or oil bloom, or mold won't ruin it.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
The mark's probably bloom. It probably isn't mould. A damp cloth will sort it, but it might take three or four 'passes' - wipe it down, and keep doing so. I've had this happen on CXL, Vicenza and Steerhide jackets; it isn't quality-related and is not a defect. Japanese workmanship is usually no better or worse than anybody else's at a given price range.

The rest of it - the name-calling and threats - don't belong on here, but may take more than a few wipes with a cloth to expunge.

Unpleasant.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
it isn't quality-related and is not a defect.
I just read this article which suggests otherwise :

"Blooming results from a flawed tanning process that uses an improper percentage of fat liquor."

zebedee

One Too Many

"Blooming results from a flawed tanning process that uses an improper percentage of fat liquor."

I am throwing myself on my sword, right now. My Highwayman showed bloom after 7 years... :). The Vicenza after a particularly heavy rain this winter. Both instances solved by wiping down with cloth. I don't think it persisted.

Last edited:

It could be, but also could happen for other reasons. Both pretty easily remedied. I had it happen on a few of my vintage jackets after they were in boxed in storage for a while prior to a move.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Damn this sounds more xenophobic than anything else. If you haven't seen well-worn Japanese leathers, you must be avoiding Instagram, Rakuten, Yahoo Japan, other men's fashion forums. Even Self Edge has several hanging in their shop.
Not all shinki have brown cores (teacore), my FL full aniline (non pigment dyed) Shinki has a black core. As you can see it fades into grey:

D90DF228-DB88-4D01-A1AD-CDA200B3F50C.jpeg
7490D4DF-8A35-42D6-9849-E7C829942880.jpeg

Blackadder

Not all shinki have brown cores (teacore), my FL full aniline (non pigment dyed) Shinki has a black core. As you can see it fades into grey:

View attachment 415876 View attachment 415875
Yes I stand corrected. I was thinking the undyed veg tanned and combination tanned I.e. that core. Forgot to take into account that these jackets are often dyed twice to artificially create a sharper effect.

Last edited:

Blackadder

I would not read to much into that. They are selling their service to clean it. Of course they would make it a defect and they are the saviour.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
It make sense if it's bloom for horween leathers, it happens often in high quality shell cordovans. I have never seen it in any CXL/Essex,dublin tannage.

With shell you just brush it away with a boar or horsehair brush.

Shinki being pigment dyed, not sure how fat can emerge out from a layer of paint?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
That is a very good technical question. I once tried to apply Pecard's conditioner (pretty much polyolefin wax) to a vintage painted leather. Man, that was hard. It was not going through despite multiple rubbings and heating with a hair dryer to melt the wax, then rubbing with hands, then heating - you get the picture. Ultimately a bunch of it was left on the surface but I was able to just wipe the excess off. These topcoats are impermeable, as they should be. Maybe it is not bloom in OP's case?

^^
That is a very good technical question. I once tried to apply Pecard's conditioner (pretty much polyolefin wax) to a vintage painted leather. Man, that was hard. It was not going through despite multiple rubbings and heating with a hair dryer to melt the wax, then rubbing with hands, then heating - you get the picture. Ultimately a bunch of it was left on the surface but I was able to just wipe the excess off. These topcoats are impermeable, as they should be. Maybe it is not bloom in OP's case?

I’ve also seen “bloom” when too much Pecards or whatever product is applied. It may take a while to show but it may pop up.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So back to the OP's photos & questions.
This photo simply appears to be topcoat flaking off (normal wear and tear, especially for teacore leather):
1649099789618.png

I am also more used to a "bloom" effect that looks like wite dust from a humidifier. This is harmless and just can be wiped off, however that the OP is shyowing is something different.

Is there any smell or feel to these very small white specs?

If not I would wear it and use it, just wipe it down every so often.

Damon141

Practically Family
Try one of the methods mentioned earlier and let it dry. Maybe apply some mustang paste to keep it at bay.

maybe consider chrome tanned if you get another jacket in the future

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana