Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whiteskin ANJ4

John Lever

One Too Many
I think the Anj4 was the last sheepskin jacket issued by the USAAF. Non coated (white) jackets were the first ones made. This jacket may have just lost is acrylic coating or is some kind of one off ?

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi Xopher
imho nice jacket , something like B3 SFAD only other model , option natural sheepskin

Last edited:

devilish

A-List Customer
It looks to me like someone might have stripped the brown acrylic off at some point? Leaving the other places alone to make themselves a two tone jacket. It looks too regular to just be from flaking?
Field modification or post war customisation, who knows?

Xopher

A-List Customer
I think the Anj4 was the last sheepskin jacket issued by the USAAF. Non coated (white) jackets were the first ones made. This jacket may have just lost is acrylic coating or is some kind of one off ?

Would there have been white D-1s and B-6 too?

HPA Rep

Vendor
Did they have whiteskin ANJ-4s during the war? I stumbled upon this one for sale and I have to say I have never in my life seen one that looks like this. Anybody have any information?

http://www.bellsaviation.com/mm5/me...oduct_Code=30010&Category_Code=LeatherJackets

Dye and core seal have been worn off or rubbed off. Zipper is YKK postwar replacement that is not mentioned. Portions on jacket front have been reinforced with brown leather, likely where tears/splits/damage occurred, and likely postwar. Avoid as a collectible, but might be interesting for wearing if you like the patchwork look and dare to wear a potential time bomb.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Would there have been white D-1s and B-6 too?

The application of dye and a core seal began in 1938 productions, which is before the B-6 was adopted but after the D-1 was, so, in theory, a D-1 might have been made in unfinished skins, but there is nothing that I've yet seen in documents, photos, or extant examples to support this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff