Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who else collects the M1 Garand?

Mav

A-List Customer
Don't have a Garand, but this is one firearm I'd love to have. When I think of the trendy (in gun world, at least) crap guns I've bought and sold over the last 20 or so years, I could beat my own head in with a drywall hammer. The closest I've got is a Mini- 14, which uses an adaptation of the Garand action, with an overly light barrel that flexes all over the place with every round.
My overall preference, however, would be an M- 14. I like the round better.

To Edward's question:
Quickly flying hunks of lead do an extremely good job at what they do, and there's really been no necessity to change the actual means of...uh...fatal delivery. rmrdaddy is right, the best innovations have been made in the characteristics of those little flying pieces of lead, without having to change the basic mechanics of the weapon.
As to design, some of the old stuff not only works well, but is less prone to fouling, dirt, malfunction, etc.. than newer designs with closer tolerances.

Levallois

Practically Family
I have the civilian version of the M14 - an old Springfield M1A in .308 with USGI parts and it's a fine rifle. Yet, I'd rather shoot the Garand.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I have no interset in guns or collecting guns - but it might be interesting to you who are into these things, that the M1 was still the standard rifle in the danish army when I did my national service in 1967.
So - yes, I have fired a M1 several times.
And I do remember it as a very reliable weapon. Worked in all situations, be it wet, muddy, freezing cold or in the hot summer.

I believe the danish army used the M1 for several years after my short glorious time there. And I also know that all the (danish) M1's were shipped back to US - and sold off to anybody who wanted one.
I guesse we only had them on a lend/lease contract from 1945 and onward.
Many of them had been repaird and re-build here in Denmark.
But somehow it's quite funny to think, that somewhere in US - somebody may actually still use my old M1.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Levallois said:
I have the civilian version of the M14 - an old Springfield M1A in .308 with USGI parts and it's a fine rifle. Yet, I'd rather shoot the Garand.

The M14 returned briefly for GWI. A desert rifle and ideal for mountainous terrain, the weapon still serves as a sniper.
The M1 Garand remains though top long gun.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
July 1944 woodless Dane that I restocked. The front handguard is vintage, color match isn't as bad as this pic portrays....
IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner